Any other PK's here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 02:23 PM
RE: Any other PK's here?
I thought this was going to be a soccer thread.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2017, 02:30 PM
Blush Oh man, the pastor's daughter at this one church I used to go to... I just admired her - I was too gawky and wide-eyed back then to do more - but she was a hottie. Good times...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
13-04-2017, 03:51 PM
(13-04-2017 02:30 PM)morondog Wrote:  Blush Oh man, the pastor's daughter at this one church I used to go to... I just admired her - I was too gawky and wide-eyed back then to do more - but she was a hottie. Good times...

They do always get at least a couple extra hotness points for who they are, for what the conquest would symbolize, lol.

I know there were girls and young women in my mother's churches who saw me that way, lol. I was in relationships, and then married, during all the time my mother was a pastor though. Never really took any advantage. Too bad.
13-04-2017, 04:28 PM
(13-04-2017 02:13 PM)phoenix31 Wrote:  Yes. I didn't have that typical "college experience" of questioning and finding myself because I was encouraged to choose ministry over college, but I remember as a young adult the first time someone challenged what I had grown up with past the point that I could spit out my programmed answers, I actually got sick to my stomach.

My parents were a lot stricter than a lot of the other Christians I grew up with, though, so in some way I knew the way I was being raised was different.

It was a HUGE embarrassment for me to give the pre-programmed answers for another religious belief for the first time, and find out that they were, by and large, utter lies. I think that what I was taught about other religions probably had more to do with my examining my own religion using the same standards as they applied to others (I don't know how many other people have ever looked in on a Christian debating a Muslim ...but the arguments are usually about the same as what we use on a Christian). My old brother actually studied for the ministry for a few years ...his faith couldn't get past the textual criticism. Being brought up with scriptural inerrancy doesn't really do anyone serious about Bible study any favors.

I guess I knew how different we were growing up, but when I found out HOW different ...Wow!
13-04-2017, 04:33 PM
(13-04-2017 11:06 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  My mom was a United Methodist pastor. That's the church she grew up and was confirmed in. At least up here in the Boston area they're as mainstream and plain vanilla as you can imagine. Extremism doesn't have much of a hold in this area really. No snake-handling and all that bullshit.

I think her "call" mainly arose out of her hippie days in the 60s' and her social justice and civil rights advocacy and her work in healthcare - she was a part-time chaplain in a mental hospital for awhile too. I think she genuinely just looked at ministry as a way to care for and help people. She never got into the shalt not and the hellfire and brimstone and all that shit. If anything she was something of a rabble rouser and I think she stayed with it as long as she did (about 20 years altogether) at least in part to try and drag the denomination (or at least the New England Conference) to a more progressive and accepting stance on things like including gay people and families and other social issues. The gays and the drunks and the junkies and the homeless and poor were her favorites. I'm not in any position to weigh her effectiveness as a preacher against other people's but her heart was in the right place and she never cast anybody out.

She actually sounds pretty cool to me. It was a shocker for me to find that my Dad was remarkably progressive compared to his peers; he was actually fired from one of our churches in the early 70's for baptizing a black man in the same baptistry he used for the "regular" members.