Any other atheists go to Church for social reasons?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 04:26 PM
I was raised Catholic, but became atheist around the age of 8.
Yet, in my town, it is necessary to gain social power by being known at the local Church, so I fake it every Sunday and go with my husband.
It makes me feel so annoyed at the ignorance of all the other parishioners who truly believe all the garbage preached, yet, at the same time, I need to keep a good image for myself.
Do any of you have a similar problem?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 04:36 PM
RE: Any other atheists go to Church for social reasons?
No - I don't even do shit like that at work and they pay me. Dodgy
I'll let others chime in.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-11-2013, 04:41 PM
How do you know all the other folk aren't going for the same reason?
Hmmmmm
06-11-2013, 05:54 PM
I went to a baptism last sunday.

My wife's brother baptized his daughters, they know how I feel about it, still I had to go coz it's a family occasion.
People here treat it as a cultural thing more then a religious one.
Some of my friends were even surprised because I didn't won't to have a church wedding Hobo

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
06-11-2013, 06:05 PM
(06-11-2013 04:41 PM)englishrose Wrote:  How do you know all the other folk aren't going for the same reason?
Hmmmmm

I suspect this and plain old denial are responsible for most of the butts in the pews.

Personally, I don't think I would meet many people at church I'd want to socialize with, even for srlf-preservation.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
06-11-2013, 06:30 PM
I do kinda miss going to church for the social reason. There are lots of funny people there. And down in the Bible Belt, that's where everybody is. So I miss that. But I hate having to go through all the church crap about god. That's why I don't go. I keep it quite. But ya that's my reason
06-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Yeah. I go every Sunday. Mostly because my wife is the only one who knows I'm an atheist. Oh yeah... And I work in ministry full time. Smile
06-11-2013, 07:16 PM
No, I stopped going to church at age 8. That's when my dad told my mom to stop forcing me to go. Since then, I've gone to a few baptisms, weddings, and funerals, though I hate getting dressed up for these things and try to avoid them, if possible.

I think that's why my mom goes sometimes though, social reasons.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
06-11-2013, 08:21 PM
I go when my wife wants to go with the kids because 2 studies by reputable organizations both had results that suggested weekly church going families with teens have a statistically significant reduction in drug and alcohol abuse then families who do not attend regularly. However, similar studies show that the most socially conservative states have higher incidences of teen pregnancies. Mixed bag. Anyway, I choose to indulge my wife's religious beliefs because I had them when we married 12 years ago and last year when I let go of them she "indulged" my atheism. We go to a progressively liberal Christian church that has a married couple as it's joint senior pastors so I'm not listening to bible thumpers. Most of her friends go to this church. Her father, who past away, was agnostic if not an atheist, and both her brothers are agnostic or atheistic. She's fine with my atheism as long as I don't wear it on my sleeve and make her friends uncomfortable.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes CaptKram1963's post
06-11-2013, 08:30 PM
I did, but then I decided not to go.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon