Any other not-so-highly-educated atheists out there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Any other not-so-highly-educated atheists out there?
I know atheists come from all walks of life, but for some reason I've got it in my head that most are highly-educated and... well, way smarter than me. I myself have got only a high school diploma and a college certification under my belt and I guess I'm feeling a little inadequate.

Sure, I love learning and I'm eating up knowledge like nobody's business now that nothing is off limits to me, but I've no real desire to "go back" to college and I'm wondering if I should feel bad about that. Consider

I probably shouldn't, but you know... I think about this shit too much.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 11:42 AM
RE: Any other not-so-highly-educated atheists out there?
(06-08-2013 11:29 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Sure, I love learning and I'm eating up knowledge like nobody's business...

That's the part that matters.

Formal education is much more to do with employment than with learning things. Well, it's not like they're unrelated, but you can't go far wrong if you're just finding time to study things that interest you.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
06-08-2013, 11:44 AM
You're more qualified then me and I'm gonna be a trillionaire, I don't know what the fuck you're complaining about.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
06-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Don't feel bad. Most of what I know has come from private study. I often surprise my college professors with the type of stuff that I've read about outside of class.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
06-08-2013, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 11:58 AM by Escape Artist.)
(06-08-2013 11:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You're more qualified then me and I'm gonna be a trillionaire, I don't know what the fuck you're complaining about.

Um... I'm complaining because you haven't shared your secret with me as to how exactly you plan to reach trillionaire-hood? Yeah, that's it. Yes So spill it, lol...

Oh, and thanks ghost, and cjlr for the encouragement - I feel better now.

06-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Looks like you have more edumacation than I do. I did get a little college in, but nothing that really matters. I'm like you though, I try to learn as much as I can when I can. Hanging around here has helped a ton, there's a lot to learn from the smartypants that frequent the TTA. And most are more than willing to help you out with questions and point you in the right direction.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
06-08-2013, 12:02 PM
(06-08-2013 11:58 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Looks like you have more edumacation than I do. I did get a little college in, but nothing that really matters. I'm like you though, I try to learn as much as I can when I can. Hanging around here has helped a ton, there's a lot to learn from the smartypants that frequent the TTA. And most are more than willing to help you out with questions and point you in the right direction.

Yeah, that's really all I've got, too - is some college. I took a little certificate program that taught me how to type properly and familiarize me with various programs used in an office environment. Basically a clerical-type certification. Nothing fancy.

06-08-2013, 12:06 PM
(06-08-2013 12:02 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 11:58 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Looks like you have more edumacation than I do. I did get a little college in, but nothing that really matters. I'm like you though, I try to learn as much as I can when I can. Hanging around here has helped a ton, there's a lot to learn from the smartypants that frequent the TTA. And most are more than willing to help you out with questions and point you in the right direction.

Yeah, that's really all I've got, too - is some college. I took a little certificate program that taught me how to type properly and familiarize me with various programs used in an office environment. Basically a clerical-type certification. Nothing fancy.

Do you plan to do more formal education?

Regardless, the secret is curiosity and reading. Read lots of different things.
Except Twilight - that will rot your mind.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-08-2013, 12:06 PM
(06-08-2013 12:02 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  

Right on. I'm fairly certain that I came away from my college experience with many fewer brain cells than I went in with. I had to study my religion before I could gain an appreciation for what actual knowledge is, and how important it is to have it. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
06-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Does it count if you're still in college?