Any other not-so-highly-educated atheists out there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 12:15 PM
RE: Any other not-so-highly-educated atheists out there?
Lol I was a communications major...

Is Phoney Major! RTS learn nothing! Nothing!

... but in all seriousness, it's not the degree it's what you do when you get out. I'm a Snr. Web Dev now making decent money and with a couple more years of backend dev under my belt I'll probably top 120K easily....barely related to my degree at all.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
06-08-2013, 12:18 PM
(06-08-2013 12:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 12:02 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Yeah, that's really all I've got, too - is some college. I took a little certificate program that taught me how to type properly and familiarize me with various programs used in an office environment. Basically a clerical-type certification. Nothing fancy.

Do you plan to do more formal education?

Regardless, the secret is curiosity and reading. Read lots of different things.
Except Twilight - that will rot your mind.

Not that I can foresee, no. I love to write (fiction) and have been doing so for about three years now. I'm not published as I'm still honing my craft and all, but honestly that's what brings a lot of joy into my life and so unless I thought that furthering my (formal) education was something that might help my writing, then I don't see myself pursuing it. I tend to think that years lived and experiences, well... experienced are what count most toward improving one's writing (along with a whole host of other things, but I digress).

The only other field that I've been drawn toward is psychology but I feel like that would be a very demanding job and that I'd have to be nearly always available for my patients/clients and I'm a person who needs her alone time. Writing feeds into that need.

As I said, I do want to learn more about the world around me and have taken a keen interest in science since becoming an atheist so that desire for more knowledge is definitely there. I was one of those kids who loved the actual academics of school but hated the social aspect. Mainly due to stuff like this:

Escape Artist---> Sadcryface2 Laughat <--- meanies who picked on me

And what's this you've got in fine print there?

-reads quietly to herself-

Shocking But... I've already read Twilight. It's too late for me then, isn't it? Just say it. It's too late. Weeping

Find all posts by this user
06-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Me! I'm in the first year of college,i heard it today that i passed to 2nd grade. And honestly,i dont think the degree matters. The degree is just a piece of paper. What matters is the passion of learning

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
06-08-2013, 12:39 PM
(06-08-2013 12:18 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 12:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Do you plan to do more formal education?

Regardless, the secret is curiosity and reading. Read lots of different things.
Except Twilight - that will rot your mind.

Not that I can foresee, no. I love to write (fiction) and have been doing so for about three years now. I'm not published as I'm still honing my craft and all, but honestly that's what brings a lot of joy into my life and so unless I thought that furthering my (formal) education was something that might help my writing, then I don't see myself pursuing it. I tend to think that years lived and experiences, well... experienced are what count most toward improving one's writing (along with a whole host of other things, but I digress).

The only other field that I've been drawn toward is psychology but I feel like that would be a very demanding job and that I'd have to be nearly always available for my patients/clients and I'm a person who needs her alone time. Writing feeds into that need.

As I said, I do want to learn more about the world around me and have taken a keen interest in science since becoming an atheist so that desire for more knowledge is definitely there. I was one of those kids who loved the actual academics of school but hated the social aspect. Mainly due to stuff like this:

Shocking But... I've already read Twilight. It's too late for me then, isn't it? Just say it. It's too late. Weeping

Oh, dear. The brain damage might be beyond repair. Weeping

But we must try. Yes

I strongly recommend, even urge, reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Take a peek here.

Frankly, I recommend anything by Bill Bryson.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Re: Any other not-so-highly-educated atheists out there?
Bah. Not every atheist is over obsessed with science. Some of us prefer the world of fantasy and fun.
06-08-2013, 12:41 PM
(06-08-2013 12:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 12:18 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Not that I can foresee, no. I love to write (fiction) and have been doing so for about three years now. I'm not published as I'm still honing my craft and all, but honestly that's what brings a lot of joy into my life and so unless I thought that furthering my (formal) education was something that might help my writing, then I don't see myself pursuing it. I tend to think that years lived and experiences, well... experienced are what count most toward improving one's writing (along with a whole host of other things, but I digress).

But we must try. Yes

I strongly recommend, even urge, reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Take a peek here.

I read "I'm a Stranger Here Myself." It was pretty interesting.

06-08-2013, 01:59 PM
(06-08-2013 12:41 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Bah. Not every atheist is over obsessed with science. Some of us prefer the world of fantasy and fun.

For sure. I suppose the main reason I've gained an interest in it is because the churches I attended often equated science with evil so I spent a large part of my adolescence ignoring the subject entirely. Now I must needs know what was so vehemently denied me! lol

And for the record, I like fantasy and fun, too. Writing requires a lot of daydreaming, in which I am an expert.

06-08-2013, 02:01 PM
(06-08-2013 12:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 12:18 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Not that I can foresee, no. I love to write (fiction) and have been doing so for about three years now. I'm not published as I'm still honing my craft and all, but honestly that's what brings a lot of joy into my life and so unless I thought that furthering my (formal) education was something that might help my writing, then I don't see myself pursuing it. I tend to think that years lived and experiences, well... experienced are what count most toward improving one's writing (along with a whole host of other things, but I digress).

But we must try. Yes

I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the rec!

06-08-2013, 02:01 PM
(06-08-2013 12:41 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Bah. Not every atheist is over obsessed with science. Some of us prefer the world of fantasy and fun.

Silly hobbits.

Science is creative and fun. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-08-2013, 02:38 PM
(06-08-2013 11:29 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I know atheists come from all walks of life, but for some reason I've got it in my head that most are highly-educated and... well, way smarter than me. I myself have got only a high school diploma and a college certification under my belt and I guess I'm feeling a little inadequate.

Sure, I love learning and I'm eating up knowledge like nobody's business now that nothing is off limits to me, but I've no real desire to "go back" to college and I'm wondering if I should feel bad about that. Consider

I probably shouldn't, but you know... I think about this shit too much.

I dropped out of college, and I'm probably lucky that I even went to college.

I guess I'm what you would consider not-so-highly-educated. I'm definitely not well-read, and I don't have an impressive, formal education.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell