Any other not-so-highly-educated atheists out there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 03:06 PM
RE: Any other not-so-highly-educated atheists out there?
(06-08-2013 11:29 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I know atheists come from all walks of life, but for some reason I've got it in my head that most are highly-educated and... well, way smarter than me. I myself have got only a high school diploma and a college certification under my belt and I guess I'm feeling a little inadequate.

Sure, I love learning and I'm eating up knowledge like nobody's business now that nothing is off limits to me, but I've no real desire to "go back" to college and I'm wondering if I should feel bad about that. Consider

I probably shouldn't, but you know... I think about this shit too much.

I have a H.S. diploma and three semesters of community college. I drive a truck for a living which gives me hours on end every day for audiobooks. I often feel the same inadequacy. When I feel outmatched by the people around me I ask questions as opposed to trying contribute without putting my foot in my mouth.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like NoSkyDaddy's post
06-08-2013, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 03:20 PM by Chas.)
(06-08-2013 02:01 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 12:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, dear. The brain damage might be beyond repair. Weeping

But we must try. Yes

I strongly recommend, even urge, reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Take a peek here.

Frankly, I recommend anything by Bill Bryson.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the rec!

“Consider the fact that for 3.8 billion years, a period of time older than the Earth's mountains and rivers and oceans, every one of your forebears on both sides has been attractive enough to find a mate, healthy enough to reproduce, and sufficiently blessed by fate and circumstances to live long enough to do so. Not one of your pertinent ancestors was squashed, devoured, drowned, starved, stranded, stuck fast, untimely wounded, or otherwise deflected from its life's quest of delivering a tiny charge of genetic material to the right partner at the right moment in order to perpetuate the only possible sequence of hereditary combinations that could result -- eventually, astoundingly, and all too briefly -- in you.”
― Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything

“In France, a chemist named Pilatre de Rozier tested the flammability of hydrogen by gulping a mouthful and blowing across an open flame, proving at a stroke that hydrogen is indeed explosively combustible and that eyebrows are not necessarily a permanent feature of one's face.”

“It is easy to overlook this thought that life just is. As humans we are inclined to feel that life must have a point. We have plans and aspirations and desires. We want to take constant advantage of the intoxicating existence we've been endowed with. But what's life to a lichen? Yet its impulse to exist, to be , is every bit as strong as ours-arguably even stronger. If I were told that I had to spend decades being a furry growth on a rock in the woods, I believe I would lose the will to go on. Lichens don't. Like virtually all living things, they will suffer any hardship, endure any insult, for a moment's additional existence. Life, in short just wants to be.”

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
06-08-2013, 03:54 PM
I graduated high school.

Barely.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
07-08-2013, 08:47 AM
There are PhD's who think the Earth is only a few thousand years old. I'll take common sense and an ability to modify one's views in the face of compelling evidence any day over "education".

No religion, belief system or person as THE answer to everything. I immediately distrust anyone who makes that claim.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Jay666's post
07-08-2013, 09:05 AM
(06-08-2013 03:54 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I graduated high school.

Barely.

You mean, in an unclothed fashion ? Tongue

I dunno. After years at uni I'm convinced I'm probably denser than when I went in Dodgy
07-08-2013, 09:27 AM
(07-08-2013 09:05 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 03:54 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I graduated high school.

Barely.

You mean, in an unclothed fashion ? Tongue

I dunno. After years at uni I'm convinced I'm probably denser than when I went in Dodgy

Of you mean butt nekkid under my robe, then yes, I mean in an unclothed fashion. Several of us went commando for grad.

I started to truly learn when I stopped attempting to learn through formal edumication. I guess a classroom just isn't compatable with some people's learning style. If you make the choice to learn, you will learn. Regardless of the method.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
07-08-2013, 09:35 AM
(06-08-2013 11:55 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 11:44 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You're more qualified then me and I'm gonna be a trillionaire, I don't know what the fuck you're complaining about.

Um... I'm complaining because you haven't shared your secret with me as to how exactly you plan to reach trillionaire-hood? Yeah, that's it. Yes So spill it, lol...

Oh, and thanks ghost, and cjlr for the encouragement - I feel better now.

One word son, conglomerate. Big fat tax evading whore of a conglomerate.
With a main focus in container and mineral shipping.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
07-08-2013, 09:44 AM
(07-08-2013 09:35 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(06-08-2013 11:55 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Um... I'm complaining because you haven't shared your secret with me as to how exactly you plan to reach trillionaire-hood? Yeah, that's it. Yes So spill it, lol...

Oh, and thanks ghost, and cjlr for the encouragement - I feel better now.

One word son, conglomerate. Big fat tax evading whore of a conglomerate.
With a main focus in container and mineral shipping.

Yes Nods emphatically so as to give the impression that I've even the slightest inkling as to what you're talking about (while taking the teensiest bit of offense that you referred to me - a female - as son). Big Grin

07-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Don't worry about it son, I call everyone son.
A Conglomerate is when two or more corporations are owned by one parent company. That parent company is a conglomerate.
The idea is to have more diversity as to avoid things like slumps in the market. ie: If you sell only one thing and that one thing suddenly stops being profitable, you're fucked. Where as if you own several things and one stops being profitable, the other industries will prop up that unprofitable one until it's profitable again.

Container and mineral shipping is ship shipping.. Like container ships for containers and bulk carriers for things like iron ore.
With the rise of Asia and South America, more and more goods are being shipped around the world and I suspect that that will only increase and so shipping will be a safe(ish) market to focus in. Plus, I really really like ships so...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
07-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Sounds like a plan, then, earmuffs. My own get-rich scheme is to become a best-selling novelist. Because I like to pretend, and I want to make money at it. We'll see who reaches trillionaire-hood first!