Any other novice chefs out there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2016, 08:48 PM
RE: Any other novice chefs out there?
(11-04-2016 09:35 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I'd love to hear from others who have tried subscription services, or otherwise recently started learning to cook.

Blue Apron?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2016, 12:57 AM
I don't really like to cook but I have more exotic tastes than rest of the family so I have no choice in that. Usually I'm sticking to recipe, though almost never I do something exactly as written - most common change is amount of spices. Sadly others don't appreciate meals that I prepare - too spicy is common complaint.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
13-04-2016, 05:43 AM
(13-04-2016 12:57 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I don't really like to cook but I have more exotic tastes than rest of the family so I have no choice in that. Usually I'm sticking to recipe, though almost never I do something exactly as written - most common change is amount of spices. Sadly others don't appreciate meals that I prepare - too spicy is common complaint.

You bring up an interesting point about spices and I'll add, heat. The sensations in your mouth are very individualized and this is why people have such varied tastes for spice and heat. I watched a documentary on hot peppers around the world hosted by Alan Alda some years ago. He love heat, the hotter the better but he talked about the uber tasters who are super sensitive to hot peppers. It was quite interesting.

I love spice and heat but still in moderation. I find the spice combo to more important than the amount of spice. You may have desensitized taste buds and try to compensate by ramping it up.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
13-04-2016, 06:15 AM
(13-04-2016 05:43 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  I love spice and heat but still in moderation. I find the spice combo to more important than the amount of spice.

I'm no stranger to mixing spices myself. As for moderation - when food makes me cry I know that I went overboard and I know that I must adjust the recipe next time Wink. It's rare occurrence though.

(13-04-2016 05:43 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  You may have desensitized taste buds and try to compensate by ramping it up.

Possible, though I don't think so. When you don't use anything spicy in making meals then whatever with little heat will be to spicy I guess. Hence the family complaining.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
13-04-2016, 06:45 AM
(12-04-2016 08:48 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-04-2016 09:35 PM)beeglez Wrote:  I'd love to hear from others who have tried subscription services, or otherwise recently started learning to cook.

Blue Apron?

I did Hello Fresh
13-04-2016, 06:47 AM
(12-04-2016 08:48 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I can't say I'm a novice chef, but I am trying to cook more at home Wink I think the subscription recipe service sounds cool. I don't know that I would use it unless they had vegan recipes, but I still think it's a cool idea. I'm going to attempt to make pizza from scratch tomorrow, so I'm hoping all goes well. As you can see, I'm not the best chef since this is a major feat Big Grin

There is one called The Purple Carrot that is vegan. Haven't tried it because I'm an omnivore, but some of it looks really good! I am considering trying it.
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
13-04-2016, 07:36 AM
(13-04-2016 06:47 AM)beeglez Wrote:  
(12-04-2016 08:48 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I can't say I'm a novice chef, but I am trying to cook more at home Wink I think the subscription recipe service sounds cool. I don't know that I would use it unless they had vegan recipes, but I still think it's a cool idea. I'm going to attempt to make pizza from scratch tomorrow, so I'm hoping all goes well. As you can see, I'm not the best chef since this is a major feat Big Grin

There is one called The Purple Carrot that is vegan. Haven't tried it because I'm an omnivore, but some of it looks really good! I am considering trying it.

I will definitely check it out! Thank you! Smile
13-04-2016, 07:58 AM
I like to cook occasionally, but I pretty much never dress as a novice. Dodgy
[Image: 3623-108.jpg]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-04-2016, 08:07 AM
(13-04-2016 07:58 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I like to cook occasionally, but I pretty much never dress as a novice. Dodgy
[Image: 3623-108.jpg]

You have a habit of posting punny. Big Grin

She could definitely do an Audrey Hepburn gig but I'd rather see her in capri pants than a habit. Lol

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
19-04-2016, 06:24 PM
I started learning a few years ago, and now I can make basic meals pretty easily. I'm currently working on perfecting chili, as well as crepes, salads, and sandwiches. I would like to learn how to make curry.