• 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2016, 01:40 AM
Any recovering catholics here???
How did you recover from catholicism?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2016, 01:45 AM
RE: Any recovering catholics here???
Gradually. But I wasn't heavily contaminated with it in the first place, so few books and thinking sufficed to break the chains.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
20-01-2016, 04:29 AM
We invented the Church of England

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
20-01-2016, 06:48 AM
I just read the bible, the entire thing. It was enough.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-01-2016, 07:01 AM
It was a gradual process from when I was a kid. Any lingering doubts were beaten outta me by those failed priests, the Christian Brothers Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
20-01-2016, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2016 10:18 AM by Brian37.)
(20-01-2016 01:40 AM)jason197754 Wrote:  How did you recover from catholicism?

It was one particular question from a construction worker I worked with as a clean up day laborer long ago. But my totally leaving even a generic god took years. He asked me "What if Jesus was just a man".

Even when I was attending church, none of it seem to make sense, but I couldn't place my finger on why because I was more concerned with fitting in because that is what I grew up thinking others expected of me.

It didn't help one day as a kid walking out of the church seeing the preacher smoking having heard all the fire and brimstone crap in prior sermons. Plus the ritual was boring too.

Went from Catholic, to agnostic theist(deist) over a period of years, then upon seeing a Smithsonian display of the Angkor Dynasty which had Hinduism and Buddhism mixing, it hit me. I thought, if these religions can mix, then maybe all of it is man made bullshit. That was when I realized I was an atheist, even though it took me a few more years to call myself that.

But even then, I kept that to myself out of fear for the most part. Then 9/11 happened, and a few weeks later, I read an AP opinion article from a atheist Chicago nurse, who asked why atheists were being left out of the national mourning process. That kicked me in my own ass and caused me to seek other atheists on line for the first time.

For the first few days I was scared that I had joined a cult, but that fear went away in less than a week and have never looked back since.

I wish I had a sudden de-conversion like Ricky Gervais. But better late than never.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
20-01-2016, 09:20 AM
I was a Catholic, then a Christian, then Liberal Christian, then Spiritual, then Agnostic, now an Atheist. The whole thing was a process. It took a long time and did not happen overnight. It took a lot of reading and watching atheist/catholic/christian debates, a lot of talking to like-minded people, and a lot of contemplating. The one debate that really flipped the switch for me was between Richard Dawkins and Cardinal George Pell. I'll post it at the end for you.

As for my deconversion, I got to the point where I was sick of all the hate my religion was spewing. I did not understand how a religion which claims it is based on love could spew such hate towards others who were different from them. I also did not like the oppression towards women I found in the church. I went to one church where the women had to sit on one side and the men on the other. Even husbands and wives were separated. I went along with the church teachings of women living a subordinate existence to men (even though I didn't like it) because I was so grateful to Jesus for his love and sacrifice. I felt that living my life the way Jesus wanted was how I could repay him for the suffering he did for me --at least that is the BS I was taught by my church.

Like Dom, I read the entire Bible and not just the cherry picked ones they feed you in church. I also read a lot of non-woo scholarly books (love Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction) on the Bible and read a lot about myths/beliefs from other cultures. I also really liked Guy P. Harrison's books--they really require you to ponder why you believe what you believe. The Skeptic's Annotated Bible by Steve Wells also helped me a lot in terms of seeing the absurdity of my religious beliefs.

[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
20-01-2016, 11:17 AM
For me, it was a very slow process. Sad

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

20-01-2016, 11:36 AM
I got over it pretty early. Only half the family was RC, so we were sort of left to run wild. Tongue The other half was very liberal ("high church" Anglican) so from day 1 we always had a "wider perspective", and one of my great-aunts was a nun. She was hilarious and surrounded herself with only liberal funny ladies, (who are to this day very much a "part of my family"). No one ever "preached". I was just lucky. No abuse, no sour pusses, and no hell. I did run into a very worldly priest pretty early on who was a famous musician, and from day 1 I remember thinking "I'm actually holier than you are" ... hahaha. They were never "heros" to me. Just normal (flawed) people. Of course I was perfect. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-01-2016, 01:15 PM
My deconversion mirror's Jenny B's in many ways.
RCC values always seemed to conflict with mine, particularly my more liberal values.
I couldn't reconcile the cognitive dissonance between what is preached from the pulpit (God's love and acceptance of everyone) and the RCC's homophobic, misogynistic policies and practices, especially in North America, where they should know better. The hypocrisy is GALLING
When my family was going through a very difficult time, some family friends, who were atheists, were among the most caring, least judgemental people to help us, and are living proof that morality and religion are apples and orangutans.
Then when I started objectively looking for scientific and archeological evidence of what I had always assumed was true about the old and new testaments, it all fell apart.
I went searching for the truth, and I found it.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post