Any similar stories?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Any similar stories?
Hello! I'm new to the site and the podcast.

Has anyone here ever shown up at the front door of a church and greeted people and just handed out critical thinking flyers? I am planning on handing out a carefully worded flyer to people as they walk in to church. I feel like if I am friendly and peaceful, I should not experience any problems. I am prepared to give a defense for critical thinking and its many merits. The handout also mentions that religion (or a relationship with Jesus) is not for everybody. I also included a brief paragraph of my specific story involved with leaving the Christian faith that I once adored so much.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks so much!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes PeacefulSkeptic's post
08-07-2012, 07:56 AM
RE: Any similar stories?
Well that didn't work out like I had hoped. After the first 5 minutes, the pastor and the worship leader came out to talk to me. They threatened to call the police and everything.

Whatever. Now I know that I cannot try that approach.
08-07-2012, 07:59 AM
There is nothing stopping you from standing on the border of the property on the pavement/sidewalk handing out flyers.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
08-07-2012, 03:56 PM
But you had guts doing it Smile And as bemore says, they can call the police as much as they want as long as you are not on their property and not frightening or threatenting anyone.
And you just stay friendly and all smiley Smile

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
08-07-2012, 04:25 PM
(08-07-2012 07:56 AM)PeacefulSkeptic Wrote:  Well that didn't work out like I had hoped. After the first 5 minutes, the pastor and the worship leader came out to talk to me. They threatened to call the police and everything.

Whatever. Now I know that I cannot try that approach.
This is definitely what I would expect and would have done in my own experience.

It would be far better to do as Bemore suggests and stand off the property...the problem being, of course, if everyone is driving to church, you won't get many passersby. Another approach, although could be construed as littering church property...you could wait until the service starts then plaster all the windshields with your flyer. Evil_monster

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
08-07-2012, 05:03 PM
No doubt everyone in the church will be told that the person outside handing out flyers worships the devil and is trying to turn you away from god. They will of course be told to never take your flyers or else they will BURN IN HELL!
[+] 4 users Like Magoo's post
08-07-2012, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2012 05:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-07-2012 04:25 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Another approach, although could be construed as littering church property...you could wait until the service starts then plaster all the windshields with your flyer. Evil_monster

Brilliant! Big Grin

'Course I'd hire a dude from the local Day Laborer market outside of 7-Eleven instead of doing it myself and instead of atheist tracts I'd use competing religious tracts (Jews for Jesus propaganda at Jewish synagogues, LDS brochures at any of the traditional Christian churches, Christmas Cards for Seventh Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.) Don't think I'd fuck with the Hindus or the Buddhists 'cause it wouldn't have any effect at all, Islamic mosques just feel too fucking dangerous, the Mormons can afford private security, and the poor bastard I hired's thetan would just disappear from the face of the Earth and go back to it's landing station on Venus if I targeted Scientology (note to self, wear a disguise and approach the sacrificial illegal immigrant on foot).

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Does anymore here appreciate it when someone tries to convert you using a flyer or a billboard or anything equally as impersonal? It's spamming, isn't it?

Peaceful,
They won't accept you as a "saviour" cos they already have one.
Think about which form of conversion attempt would you be ok with?
For me, an invitation to a "Which god is the right god?" Beer Evening might get my attention... a combination of empathy, civility and bribery.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-07-2012, 07:43 PM
I just didn't know what to expect haha.

And the pastor came out and told me,

"I have three degrees and I don't think there are any contradictions in the Bible."

I kindly responded to him, "I am a philosophy student and I would welcome anything that could be brought to my attention."

And I don't think I have the guts to go back and put my flyers on the windows during service. They would know it was me
Undecided
[+] 2 users Like PeacefulSkeptic's post
09-07-2012, 03:50 AM
Hey its good that you have done something..... or even got to the stage where they tell you to clear off. Its more than what a lot of your peers would do.

I used to think I had an uphill struggle when I went out leafleting about "conspiracy/economic issues" but at least people were willing to stop and listen to me, with religion I imagine it to be MUCH different.

If your worried about being seen/caught/accused of doing any further actions then if I was you id give it a month for it to fall out of peoples minds...... go out buy and anonymous mask, then when the service is on id place informative Dvds that you can burn at home (people are curious creatures..... they will want to know whats on the disc) with leaflets under peoples windscreens wipers. You will have more strength in numbers, so if you can find somebody to do it with then you can have fun at the same time Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post