Any strictly sober atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Any strictly sober atheists?
So I've gotten alot of crap in my life because I've abstained from substances that induce behavioral changes or have negative health affects or an addictive nature

Including:
-alcohol
-cigarettes
-marijuana
-energy drinks
-energy pills
-coffee
-Shrooms/ecstacy/meth/cocain/heroine or whatever other heavier drugs were a fad.

The one drug I haven't found the will power to abstain from is SUGAR (which IS definitely a drug). Haha, but I'm too far gone on that matter (I'm not a sweet tooth, but I do love my carbs).

I've explained it as desiring to be healthy, have a clear mind, and not be addicted to or dependant on a substance, and I've had sooo many friends and family members try to get me to drink alcohol it got very old. Luckily, I'm 26 now so the pressure has mostly died down, but I still get confused looks from people when i tell them I don't drink and never have.

It definitely gave me a unique perspective at many parties, clubs, and bars.

I'm curious if anybody else has made a similar choice? Or has gone through any interesting events related to this.

Please don't make this into a thread of "haha, you are behaving like a a JW!" (although I can picture people saying that now just to spite me, oh well.) Of course honest questions are welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
19-11-2013, 05:11 PM
RE: Any strictly sober atheists?
I know that feel, brother. We're in the same boat. Hug

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
19-11-2013, 05:29 PM
I only drink alcohol occasionally, and I quit smoking tobacco last year. Mary Jane I really can't smoke anymore, because all the dealers in my town are bat shit insane *and* overpriced. (Those are bad on their own, but even worse in combination.) Energy drinks/coffee/sugar/etc I use in moderation. The heavy stuff I've only tried here and there. I try not to overindulge in anything health-robbing anymore because when I smoked it made me really skinny and tired all the time. It made me think of the nature of addiction itself and all that good stuff. It's just not a good idea to do anything like that unless you want to waste money and shorten your life span.

Wait a minute....does an e-cig count? I still puff on my bf's e-cig every now and then. Tongue

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
19-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Your brain makes it's own .. beta endorphins, oxytocin, dopamine, etc etc. You're never "strictly sober".
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your...-chemicals

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I got a question. Is this gonna be an issue? Big Grin

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I inoculate myself against alcohol. Every Friday night

Arabica Coffee is a powerful strain, needs inoculation evey few hours.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
19-11-2013, 06:14 PM
(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  So I've gotten alot of crap in my life because I've abstained from substances that induce behavioral changes or have negative health affects or an addictive nature

Including:
-alcohol

Nope. I love my drinks and scotch.

(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  -cigarettes

No cigarettes, but I do love me a good cigar with good scotch.

(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  -marijuana
-energy drinks
-energy pills

Nope, nope and nope. Never tried marijuana, never really found it enticing to think about. Energy pills and drinks, don't like the sugar so no.

(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  -coffee

I probably drink way too much coffee.

(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  -Shrooms/ecstacy/meth/cocain/heroine or whatever other heavier drugs were a fad.

Nope, never touched any substances.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 2 users Like Logisch's post
19-11-2013, 06:15 PM
(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  It definitely gave me a unique perspective at many parties, clubs, and bars.

... I don't go to clubs, bars or parties....

(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  So I've gotten alot of crap in my life because I've abstained from substances that induce behavioral changes or have negative health affects or an addictive nature

Including:
-alcohol

I have only had a few sips of alcohol in my life, all of which were quite early on at my fathers encouragement. Hated the stuff then and have avoided it since. Besides, I would like to keep my body as functional as possibly while it lasts.

(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  -cigarettes

I personally have never had a cigarette and would never use one; I've seen what they've done, first hand and have no desire to end up like my parents.
That being said, I have spend almost my entire life around smokers (my mother and father) and have probably taken in enough second-hand smoke for a couple cancers...

(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  -marijuana

I have never used the stuff, and I cannot see myself using ever marijuana. I get why people would want to, for pain relief or a form of escapism, but I dislike that kind of escapism, it seems silly to me.

(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  -energy drinks

I have had a few energy drinks (isotonic Powerade), and by a few, I mean less than 10 bottles in my entire life and this year. For reference sake; I only had them because I was having trouble digesting and keeping down any food or liquid at the time (this lasted about 3 months after being struck by gastro) so my doctor told me to brink them to keep hydrated. I admit I developed a taste but I only buy them now on the rare occasion that I have some heavy physical work to do, for a little boost.

(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  -energy pills

I have never had an 'energy pill'; the only pills I ever take are purely medical in nature (pain relief, nausea suppressants etc.)

(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  -coffee

I have tried coffee (as in coffee and water and/or milk) on multiple occasions. I cannot stand the taste of coffee; it is simply too strong a taste for me, no matter how much coffee is actually put in. However, I do drink caffeinated drinks (colas and such) regularly and I don't notice...

(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  -Shrooms/ecstacy/meth/cocain/heroine or whatever other heavier drugs were a fad.

I hate mushrooms; can't stand them and avoid any kind of mushroom as a matter of course. Never had ecstasy or meth and never willingly will. As for cocaine and heroin, I've have never had either, but am currently taking a relative drug of theirs for pain management (oxycodone hydrochloride).

There you have it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
19-11-2013, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2013 08:17 PM by Adrianime.)
(19-11-2013 05:11 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I know that feel, brother. We're in the same boat. Hug

Hah, I've never met anybody who completely agreed with me! That's amazing. Sure we can hug, why not? Hug

(19-11-2013 05:29 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  I only drink alcohol occasionally, and I quit smoking tobacco last year.
Congratulations in quitting smoking! I know it is hard. I made a quit smoking plan for my girlfriend haha. Glad you made it out!

(19-11-2013 05:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Your brain makes it's own .. beta endorphins, oxytocin, dopamine, etc etc. You're never "strictly sober".
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your...-chemicals
Haha I sometimes think of this because I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to sex for this reason....but I'll consider that a healthy addiction Wink.

(19-11-2013 05:32 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, I got a question. Is this gonna be an issue? Big Grin
Nahh, I've always been in the minority and as such I'm not big on telling others what to ultimately do with themselves.

(19-11-2013 06:15 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  ... I don't go to clubs, bars or parties....

I have only had a few sips of alcohol in my life, all of which were quite early on at my fathers encouragement. Hated the stuff then and have avoided it since. Besides, I would like to keep my body as functional as possibly while it lasts.

I personally have never had a cigarette and would never use one; I've seen what they've done, first hand and have no desire to end up like my parents.
That being said, I have spend almost my entire life around smokers (my mother and father) and have probably taken in enough second-hand smoke for a couple cancers...

I have never used the stuff, and I cannot see myself using ever marijuana. I get why people would want to, for pain relief or a form of escapism, but I dislike that kind of escapism, it seems silly to me.

I have had a few energy drinks (isotonic Powerade), and by a few, I mean less than 10 bottles in my entire life and this year. For reference sake; I only had them because I was having trouble digesting and keeping down any food or liquid at the time (this lasted about 3 months after being struck by gastro) so my doctor told me to brink them to keep hydrated. I admit I developed a taste but I only buy them now on the rare occasion that I have some heavy physical work to do, for a little boost.

I have never had an 'energy pill'; the only pills I ever take are purely medical in nature (pain relief, nausea suppressants etc.)

I have tried coffee (as in coffee and water and/or milk) on multiple occasions. I cannot stand the taste of coffee; it is simply too strong a taste for me, no matter how much coffee is actually put in. However, I do drink caffeinated drinks (colas and such) regularly and I don't notice...

I hate mushrooms; can't stand them and avoid any kind of mushroom as a matter of course. Never had ecstasy or meth and never willingly will. As for cocaine and heroin, I've have never had either, but am currently taking a relative drug of theirs for pain management (oxycodone hydrochloride).

There you have it.
Haha you and I seem to be very similar. I also only was forced to taste wine by my parents when I was under 10, and that to date is my only intake of alcohol as a beverage. I also specifically don't like the escapism of weed. I totally get that it is not very harmful...but to me it's like BUT THIS IS LIFE, why would I want to cloud my experience or perception of it? Hah but that's just my take on it I suppose.

I try not to drink pop...but actually that's purely because of the sugar intake being horrible for your health (I also don't drink fruit juice often). I consider both juice and pop treats, like cake, and consume them not even twice a month on avg.

Similarly, the taste of coffee bugs me, but I haven't had full on coffee since I was 11 or so. And I hate mushrooms! Freakin fungus. Haha, avoid that stuff like the plague.

oxycodon is powerful stuff.

BTW that second hand smoke sucks! I have a neighbor in my apt building that smokes..and it comes into my place through my sliding door...pisses me off!
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
19-11-2013, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2013 07:38 PM by Vipa.)
(19-11-2013 05:03 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Including:
-alcohol
-cigarettes
-marijuana
-energy drinks
-energy pills
-coffee
-Shrooms/ecstacy/meth/cocain/heroine or whatever other heavier drugs were a fad.

Except for the occasional energy drink (every two months or so), This would be pretty much my list too.
I love food however and I wouldn't consider sugar a drug like the other stuff either, unlike the rest your body needs it to keep running and not just because you got accustomed to it? That said, the amounts used at least in western society are ridiculous and I'm no lamb either Tongue

While you certainly stick out if you don't drink alcohol, I get much more comments on my vegetarianism (especially unbelieve because I'm fat and vegetarianism is linked with being healthy/slim - come to think of it, I also get the regular unbelieve for my alcohol abstinence for the same reason..). It's not like i chose being a vegetarian, it's just how I grew up and I really don't like the taste or texture of meat (yes I try it from time to time, wouldn't want to miss out on good food for some hollow principle Tongue).

BTT:
Same goes for the other stuff on the list (except "hard" drugs), not a problem to abstain because I don't like the taste. But more importantly I also like having a clear mind and social pressure has very little effect on me anyways. I guess it also helps that I think of parties and clubs as pricey shallow places with mind numbing loud music. Not that there's anything wrong with this, it's just not the place I want to be or would fit in for that matter. Too much of an introvert I guess (+ a bit shy).

Never did and never intend to try hard drugs

Quote:but to me it's like BUT THIS IS LIFE, why would I want to cloud my experience or perception of it
This exactly!
[+] 1 user Likes Vipa's post