Any strictly sober atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2013, 06:07 AM
RE: Any strictly sober atheists?
I am sober when I am not drinking, does that count?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
(03-12-2013 06:07 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I am sober when I am not drinking, does that count?

That depends on how literally one interprets your use of the word 'drinking'.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
03-12-2013, 06:49 PM
*peeks in*
Unsure
Sorry! Wrong door!
*flees back the way he came*

03-12-2013, 07:08 PM
My mother is a recovering alcoholic. She's been sober since the 80s. I have an uncomfortable relationship with alcohol. I lived the first 10 years of my life with only my mother. Then, for no reason apparent to me at the time she sent me to live with my father, which turned out to be very uncomfortable for us both. After a couple years of listening to me cry on the phone about how scared I was living with him she took me back in. A few years later I learn that she sent me away so she could recover from alcoholism. This I can respect. Unfortunately, the damage had been done.

When I look back at times I've dealt with other people's consumption of alcohol, all I have are negative emotions. People acting stupid...and remembering only having a "good time" the next day...or even later.

I've tried giving alcohol a chance. Some of my coworkers like to go for a beer after work on Fridays. I gave this a shot to see how it fit. The closest I came was Guiness. It at least tasted interesting. I've since tried some Porters and Stouts and enjoyed them. But this occurs almost exclusively when in the company of someone who enjoys trying to "educate" me about beers. Which is cool, but not something I do often. And after all this, I'm still uncomfortable around the stuff. When I see it in my house I'm immediately struck with discomfort and fear. I know, it's probably deep-seated.

I tried marijuana once or twice. It did nothing to me. I also smoked clove cigs for maybe a month and decided that didn't fit either.

As of now, at 43, the only vice I can think of is soda, especially Mexican Coke. I think the scarcity of the stuff from Mexico increases the appeal. But, that scarcity is on the decline. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, being in Southern California.

I'm also a sucker for chocolate.

Never done hard liquor or drugs. They frighten me. I don't like feeling no longer in control of myself. I find that sensation terrifying. I once asked for "the gas" when I was at the dentist waiting for the novacaine to kick in for a wisdom tooth extraction. I'd never tried it before and descriptions sounded fairly benign. Oh man, I felt totally paralyzed yet perfectly conscious and it scared the crap out of me. I asked them to turn it off and toughed it out. Never again.

The scariest medication I ever tried was Prozac. That stuff made me feel not right in the head. My sense of reality felt very skewed. I stopped that stuff right away.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
03-12-2013, 09:00 PM
(03-12-2013 07:08 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  My mother is a recovering alcoholic. She's been sober since the 80s. I have an uncomfortable relationship with alcohol. I lived the first 10 years of my life with only my mother. Then, for no reason apparent to me at the time she sent me to live with my father, which turned out to be very uncomfortable for us both. After a couple years of listening to me cry on the phone about how scared I was living with him she took me back in. A few years later I learn that she sent me away so she could recover from alcoholism. This I can respect. Unfortunately, the damage had been done.

When I look back at times I've dealt with other people's consumption of alcohol, all I have are negative emotions. People acting stupid...and remembering only having a "good time" the next day...or even later.

I've tried giving alcohol a chance. Some of my coworkers like to go for a beer after work on Fridays. I gave this a shot to see how it fit. The closest I came was Guiness. It at least tasted interesting. I've since tried some Porters and Stouts and enjoyed them. But this occurs almost exclusively when in the company of someone who enjoys trying to "educate" me about beers. Which is cool, but not something I do often. And after all this, I'm still uncomfortable around the stuff. When I see it in my house I'm immediately struck with discomfort and fear. I know, it's probably deep-seated.

I tried marijuana once or twice. It did nothing to me. I also smoked clove cigs for maybe a month and decided that didn't fit either.

As of now, at 43, the only vice I can think of is soda, especially Mexican Coke. I think the scarcity of the stuff from Mexico increases the appeal. But, that scarcity is on the decline. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did, being in Southern California.

I'm also a sucker for chocolate.

Never done hard liquor or drugs. They frighten me. I don't like feeling no longer in control of myself. I find that sensation terrifying. I once asked for "the gas" when I was at the dentist waiting for the novacaine to kick in for a wisdom tooth extraction. I'd never tried it before and descriptions sounded fairly benign. Oh man, I felt totally paralyzed yet perfectly conscious and it scared the crap out of me. I asked them to turn it off and toughed it out. Never again.

The scariest medication I ever tried was Prozac. That stuff made me feel not right in the head. My sense of reality felt very skewed. I stopped that stuff right away.
I enjoyed reading your stories.

My dad was also an alcoholic, which may have to do with my aversion to it. The thought of consuming alcohol is actually repulsive to me. Similar to the thought of drinking blood. I don't feel I could physically do it without a force of persuasion.

I took a prescribed drug for anxiety before my wisdom teeth were pulled...and I had a trippy as hell experience where I all of a sudden felt lost in my own house..could barely keep myself balanced and was completely out of it for a few minutes (this was like 5 or 10 minutes after I took the pill). Some people said the drug may have had such a huge effect on me because my system was so "clean".

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
04-12-2013, 08:51 AM
(03-12-2013 03:43 AM)Donel Wrote:  i abstain from all drugs and alcohol. i got into the straight edge thing when i got into punk about 10 years back and never gave it up.

I've been a Metalhead for ages, and I always disliked the idea that being into metal meant you were a drinker. Then found it odd that the straight-edge movement seemed to start with Punk music. Different strokes indeed.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
04-12-2013, 08:57 AM
(27-11-2013 05:33 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  Been there and done it all.. was incredibly lucky not to stay in the hole i was in at the time.

I have pretty much done all of the classical drugs, Cannabis was my trigger and remains the only thing i struggle to reject. (I have been dry for 16 years now but still feel the need)

I smoke (secretly as I have given up so many times, I dont have the heart to break it to my fiancee), I do not drink more than once a year (for celebration purposes only and 1/2 glass then due to cultural pressures) I swill coffee and tea like a fish, and chocolate is my once or twice a week treat.

I have the willpower of a leaf in the wind, I try to give up and succeed for months, (the anti smoking pill was great for me) but due to me spending a lot of time away from home, I tend to fall back into bad habits (plus I cant always get a repeat prescription for those pills)

What I have found is that my family and friends fele the need to pressurise me into having a drink as often as possible, usually 'for a nice night out' forgetting that I havent been a regular drinker for about 10 years now, and go out and have good nights out without alcohol. ~Even my fiancee says she is disappointed with me that i dont drink with her.

I find my own choices in rejecting these stimulae is not accepted by the world around me.. I suppose this must be what it is like to be a scientologist Tongue

I find it interesting that one of the positives celebrated for pot is that it is not addictive, yet further fascinating to see that you struggle with what could be described as an addiction.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
04-12-2013, 10:12 AM
I think weed is habitually addictive, but not chemically addictive. From my observations of how some people tend to cling to weed that seems to be the case at least.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.