Any symphonic metal fans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Any symphonic metal fans?
Are there any fans of symphonic metal/gothic type music here? I am talking artists like Epica, Therion, Within Temptation, Nightwish (Tarja period, that is) & Angtoria...

I find myself slightly obsessive with their music (and this type in general) & I am ALWAYS seeking new artists/groups to discover. I am a music lover (actual music--I probably border on being a musical snob LOL). I absolutely LOVE this genre of music. It's the kind of music that can take me into another world & it gives my artistic muse the creative energy it craves. My "muse" has a tendency to abandon me & go on hiatus without my approval LOL! Undecided

And, maybe it's a girl thing, but I love groups fronted by a woman. Tongue

Anyone else with suggestions? I've come across some, but they just never measure up to the ones listed.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tunes without the words...and never stops at all." --Emily Dickinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MoonMama_80's post
17-02-2013, 03:16 AM
RE: Any symphonic metal fans?
Do Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire and Avantasia count? We're talking quite some time ago for me, and they're fronted by men, but still. How about Lacrimosa? They have a woman in there... Like I said, it was quite some time ago and I'm not sure what genre they're supposed to be doing...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
17-02-2013, 06:45 PM
I like all types of metal. Nightwish is quite good. Therion as well.
One night this past Summer, I was completely fucked-up drunk and sat out on my patio; surrounded by the light of tiki-torches and I just listened to this song over and over. It had me in a trance.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
17-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Also, they're not exactly "symphonic metal", but Diablo Swing Orchestra is a favorite of mine. They combine metal, big-band swing, orchestration and operatic styles. They've got a guy who sings, but the woman's operatic vocals make for a really nice touch.

Additionally:

(You've got me on a roll now. lol)

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
17-02-2013, 06:58 PM

The only band like this that I like: Epica. Smile

Contribute to the Community Resource!
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
17-02-2013, 09:32 PM
I love the anger and passion of metal mixed with the structure and beauty of classical. I've seen most of the bands listed above in concert, but I can't believe no one has mentioned Kamelot yet.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
17-02-2013, 09:35 PM
With just a dash Dimmu thrown in; you can't go wrong. Thumbsup

19-02-2013, 04:39 PM
*YAY* Happy Dance~ Big Grin

I have to admit most of the time when I mention this genre to people I know they just get this "huh" look on their face or think of Evanesence (nothing against them, but they're not what I'm talking about).

I do know of Serenia and Leaves' Eyes, both of whom I love, love, love. Big Grin

I will probably be booed and banished to the darkest regions of musical hell, but I don't really enjoy Kamelot's music. *runs away* Sad

And I am SERIOUSLY jealous of anyone who has seen any of these artists in concert. Epica came to Texas (Dallas area) and it's SO damn close but so freaking far away!! (It's a 5+ hour drive...and with kids, yeah, not happening LOL!)

Those of you who can appreciate this kind of music, ROCK, if I do say so myself. Cool

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tunes without the words...and never stops at all." --Emily Dickinson
[+] 1 user Likes MoonMama_80's post
19-02-2013, 07:30 PM
(19-02-2013 04:39 PM)MoonMama_80 Wrote:  I will probably be booed and banished to the darkest regions of musical hell, but I don't really enjoy Kamelot's music. *runs away* Sad
Nah. One of my ex's didn't like them either. She said the singer sounded "too gay". After locking her in the basement for 6 weeks, I came to accept it. No biggie. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
19-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Dimmu Borgir is good, nightwish too...I like I.C.S Vortex's new band strictly for his damn voice and their drummer....watch some Baard Kolstad video's on youtube, Phenomenal street drummer.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"