Any symphonic metal fans?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2013, 10:02 PM
RE: Any symphonic metal fans?
(19-02-2013 09:17 PM)Likos02 Wrote:  Dimmu Borgir is good, nightwish too...I like I.C.S Vortex's new band strictly for his damn voice and their drummer....watch some Baard Kolstad video's on youtube, Phenomenal street drummer.
Thank you for the suggestions!! I will most certainly give them a listen. Smile

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tunes without the words...and never stops at all." --Emily Dickinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2013, 09:09 AM
I used to listen to this genre a lot. Apart from the bands you've mentioned already, I'd add After Forever. Stratovarius and Theatre of Tragedy as bands I used to listen to. Check them out (youtube, yay). I used to like Nightwish a lot, until around the time they released Century Child. Oddly, i quite like Tarot (Hietala's other band), but I started disliking Nightwish around the time he joined.

I've moved a little away from that into more folk and viking metal. This is still a very musical type of metal with several more classical elements. If interested, check out Metsatoll, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Ensiferum.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 2 users Like Smooshmonster's post
20-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Re: Any symphonic metal fans?
Ive seen Epica and Symphony X live.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
20-02-2013, 10:53 AM
(20-02-2013 09:09 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I used to listen to this genre a lot. Apart from the bands you've mentioned already, I'd add After Forever. Stratovarius and Theatre of Tragedy as bands I used to listen to. Check them out (youtube, yay). I used to like Nightwish a lot, until around the time they released Century Child. Oddly, i quite like Tarot (Hietala's other band), but I started disliking Nightwish around the time he joined.

I've moved a little away from that into more folk and viking metal. This is still a very musical type of metal with several more classical elements. If interested, check out Metsatoll, Finntroll, Korpiklaani, Ensiferum.
Fintroll is fucking incredible. And Korpiklaani is just all-around fun. ("Happy Little Boozer" is on my party playlist. lol)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
20-02-2013, 12:53 PM
I am not a symphonic metal fan specifically, but I am a progressive metal fan, and some prog-metal does have some symphonic elements.

For me, music must have a certain level of complexity (complex chord changes, time signatures, instrumental interplay, etc). A lot of symphonic metal that I've heard tends to be a little too straight forward musically for me. Some great melodies and moods, just not enough technicality for me.
[+] 1 user Likes Simon Moon's post
20-02-2013, 01:49 PM
(20-02-2013 12:53 PM)Simon Moon Wrote:  I am not a symphonic metal fan specifically, but I am a progressive metal fan, and some prog-metal does have some symphonic elements.

For me, music must have a certain level of complexity (complex chord changes, time signatures, instrumental interplay, etc). A lot of symphonic metal that I've heard tends to be a little too straight forward musically for me. Some great melodies and moods, just not enough technicality for me.
Have you ever heard of Psyopus? They're a pretty interesting band. It sounds like chaotic nonsense until you really listen to the complexity.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2013, 02:28 PM
(20-02-2013 09:09 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I used to listen to this genre a lot. Apart from the bands you've mentioned already, I'd add After Forever. Stratovarius and Theatre of Tragedy as bands I used to listen to. Check them out (youtube, yay). I used to like Nightwish a lot, until around the time they released Century Child. Oddly, i quite like Tarot (Hietala's other band), but I started disliking Nightwish around the time he joined.

I've heard of this genre but never have found any bands, but this sounds good~ I must add that I am not overly into the growling vocals (some of Epica's music has turned me off with overuse of the growling), so anything like that will probably not be my thing. Nightwish was awesome until Tarja left. I don't listen to any of the new Nightwish stuff...unless they've changed the new singer, I just don't like the way they sound any more.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tunes without the words...and never stops at all." --Emily Dickinson
20-02-2013, 02:30 PM
(20-02-2013 09:52 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  Ive seen Epica and Symphony X live.
You suck.

No, not really. But I am jealous. Sleepy

20-02-2013, 04:14 PM
(20-02-2013 02:28 PM)MoonMama_80 Wrote:  I've heard of this genre but never have found any bands, but this sounds good~ I must add that I am not overly into the growling vocals (some of Epica's music has turned me off with overuse of the growling), so anything like that will probably not be my thing. Nightwish was awesome until Tarja left. I don't listen to any of the new Nightwish stuff...unless they've changed the new singer, I just don't like the way they sound any more.
I'd probably pass on Ensiferum then. Check out Metsatoll:

And Korpiklaani:

I also think Nightwish took a quality hit when they fired Tarja. Their new sound is more europop than metal. And their new singer doesn't work for Nightwish. I hear she's gotten fired too though. They're touring with After Forever's lead singer.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
20-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Korpiklaani sounded amazing~! I will try to listen to more of their stuff. (I haven't listened to the other one yet.)

I also need to try After Forever...I've heard a lot about them but haven't given them a listen. Big Grin

Thankies!!