Any thoughts on the "after Life"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Any thoughts on the "after Life"
I am working on a school project for a world "religions" class. We are looking at various worldviews and discussing their views of eternity. I am representing the atheist worldview and would like to provide insight into atheistic thoughts of the after life if there is such a concept in this worldview. Please feel free to provide any thoughts or insights that would help with this project. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes curios's post
05-11-2013, 01:19 PM
RE: Any thoughts on the "after Life"
Atheist just means a person who doesn't believe in deities. There is no "atheist worldview" and no consensus on anything but the god-thing, really...

That being said, many atheists are skeptics and, personally, I have not seen any evidence for an afterlife (other than things that are not repeatable in tests, and things that can easily be explained in a natural way such as hallucinations, dreams, wishful thinking, ways of dealing with mental stress, etc). Since I see no reason to believe in an afterlife, I do not.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like amyb's post
05-11-2013, 01:38 PM
There is no afterlife. The only thing that is left after your death is your legacy.
05-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Your brain chemistry ceases when de-oxygenation happens when respiration and circulation stops. We know that by many methods ... including all the brain injuries that occur during "cardiac" and trauma events. There is no mechanism for post-mortem continuation of brain function. It's easy to prove by current radiological methods.
I hope whoever does the religious angle for your class knows that "immortality" was not a part of the Bible until late in the apocalyptic period. If they don't you should correct them, or reference them to a text in Biblical Studies that discusses it. Christianity cooked up "immortality" and "hell" and "going to heaven", and all that crap.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
05-11-2013, 01:50 PM
The Hindu/Buddhist notion of reincarnation is rather interesting.
Many lives, at least makes for a fairer judgement of the participant(s).
Unity Christian Church, there are probably others, teach this doctrine.
Until round 500 C..E it was apart of the orthodox teachings.

Hard line atheist's claims that death is extinction cannot be proven.
Even Richard Dawkins gives 'God' a small degree of probability.
05-11-2013, 01:52 PM
(05-11-2013 01:50 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  The Hindu/Buddhist notion of reincarnation is rather interesting.
Many lives, at least makes for a fairer judgement of the participant(s).
Unity Christian Church, there are probably others, teach this doctrine.
Until round 500 C..E it was apart of the orthodox teachings.

Hard line atheist's claims that death is extinction cannot be proven.

There is evidence that extinction is the answer, and no evidence that it is not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Everything in nature gets recycled sooner or later.

Should there be anything left other than your body, it would also be recycled.

However, your consciousness resides in your brain, and you can't take that with you.

Hence whatever may be getting recycled would not be aware of it.

Most likely there is nothing but the body to recycle. I am just giving a bit of room to the possibility that there may be something we cannot measure yet.

Atheists have nothing in common but that they do not believe in gods. You can't expect any kind of uniform answer.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-11-2013, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 02:07 PM by amyb.)
(05-11-2013 01:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 01:50 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Hard line atheist's claims that death is extinction cannot be proven.

There is evidence that extinction is the answer, and no evidence that it is not.
This.

The reason Dawkins is 6.99 on the Dawkins scale is because he is unable to prove the nonexistence of deities. Just like he can't prove a teapot is not orbiting somewhere out in space.

The burden of proof is on the ones making the extraordinary claim. In this case, the extraordinary claim is the postmortem preservation of identity. It's on them to prove their claim is true, it's not on the rest of us to prove it's not true.

The evidence points in the direction of death meaning that you actually die. I've also always thought it was rather absurd for afterlfe-believers to use the word death to mean "living forever."
05-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Oops
You're gonna have a pretty vacant project there, Cruios... atheism is not a "religion", it's the lack of belief.

Sorry bout that. Dodgy

Maybe, you could work on discussing natural selection as a process of immediate living and continual change with no intended goal.

As for the notion of some expected "eternity" or "afterlife"... which many non theists consider little more than wishful thinking or comforting/tormenting fantasy... living right now might be more tangible and productive, in my opinion. Shy

Good luck with your class and your project.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Welcome Smile

Yeah. No afterlife. So value *this* one single life which is all I get. Although "all" kinda implies that it's like... a small thing. It's not. It's a Big Deal Smile Lots of fun to be alive. No need to look forward to being dead Shocking Rather not...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.