Any thoughts on the "after Life"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2013, 03:58 PM
RE: Any thoughts on the "after Life"
There is no standard atheist stance on an afterlife, but most do not believe in the notion.

I personally believe my body will breakdown and my atoms will be recycled into many things, including other life forms, so if you wanna call that an afterlife, sure, I believe in an afterlife.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2013, 04:22 PM
(05-11-2013 12:42 PM)curios Wrote:  I am working on a school project for a world "religions" class. We are looking at various worldviews and discussing their views of eternity. I am representing the atheist worldview and would like to provide insight into atheistic thoughts of the after life if there is such a concept in this worldview. Please feel free to provide any thoughts or insights that would help with this project. Thank you.

The "after-life" ... as in: what is "after" life?? I'm not at all sure there is an atheist formal answer to the question. After all...atheists are renowned as free thinkers.
IMHO....
When we sleep, our surface conscienciousness is dormant, but our subconscience is fully active (whether or not we remember our dreams).
However, when we are under a general anesthetic, both conscienceses are dormant. Let us suppose, that on my next venture into the operating theater (for whatever reason), the "gas passer" uses a general anesthetic, but uses too much or the wrong kind. I never re-gain conscienceness . . . and die.
Now...to my conscience mind, my last thoughts were counting from 100 backwards . . . then nothing.
And THAT is all the after-life any of us can expect.
I've often had the childish thought (vengeful tho it may be), that all these born-againers are sure going to be surprised when they die and find out that there really isn't anything after death. But that is stupid. Just like all the billions and billions of us who will have gone before them, all they will realize is that they are slowly (or quickly) losing conscienceness....and that will be all.
Period.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
05-11-2013, 04:30 PM
I actually did a report similar to what you are describing, I even posted it on the forum for people to read/discuss.

Here it is!

Of course, this only represents my opinion on the afterlife, as well as me introducing the idea that maybe old natives thought that dreams (when you're asleep) was you temporarily visiting an afterlife, and that death is the permanent stay.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
05-11-2013, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 05:15 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
Since there is no evidence for life after death, I think most atheists would come to the conclusion that there is no life after death.

Ironically, I love the way Ecclesiastes 3:19 - 22 expresses this worldview:

"Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath; man has no advantage over the animal. Everything is meaningless. All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. Who knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth? So I saw that there is nothing better for a man than to enjoy his work, because that is his lot. For who can bring him to see what will happen after him?"

From an evolutionary perspective, we humans are nothing more than naked apes, so if chimps die forever, then so do we.

Now if you'll excuse me, I feel the need for a glass of gin after expressing all these happy thoughts. Smile

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
05-11-2013, 04:47 PM
I like to think the human conscious/soul is a result of electric thought frequency
Creating or perhaps tapping into an alternate plane/reality.
So our thought life (mixed up) version.
is imprinting onto this layer.
You visit there in dreams .
And if you can die while in a lucid dream then you can exist there forever.heaven / hell / purgatory its the same thing.

But I also like to think ill win the lottery.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
05-11-2013, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 05:17 PM by GirlyMan.)
I think the big scary tree eats me and then just shits me out. Stupid tree. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
05-11-2013, 09:02 PM
I imagine it's like being asleep.

When you're asleep your consciousness sort of turns off and so you don't remember/experience being asleep.
That lack of experience, being aware, is what I imagine it's like.

Than your body eventually decomposes and fertilizes the graveyards grass.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
05-11-2013, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 09:54 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-11-2013 09:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I imagine it's like being asleep.

When you're asleep your consciousness sort of turns off and so you don't remember/experience being asleep. That lack of experience, being aware, is what I imagine it's like.

You ain't never had a lucid dream? You ain't describing sleep, there's all sorta shit going on in my gulliver when I'm asleep. You're describing general anesthesia. There ain't nothing going on there. And then suddenly you're back. I think general anesthesia is the closest analog we have of death. 'Cept for the part about and then suddenly you're back bit.

05-11-2013, 10:24 PM
(05-11-2013 09:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 09:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I imagine it's like being asleep.

When you're asleep your consciousness sort of turns off and so you don't remember/experience being asleep. That lack of experience, being aware, is what I imagine it's like.

You ain't never had a lucid dream? You ain't describing sleep, there's all sorta shit going on in my gulliver when I'm asleep. You're describing general anesthesia. There ain't nothing going on there. And then suddenly you're back. I think general anesthesia is the closest analog we have of death. 'Cept for the part about and then suddenly you're back bit.

That would be called "Gulliver Unravels".
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-11-2013, 10:50 PM
(05-11-2013 10:24 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 09:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You ain't never had a lucid dream? You ain't describing sleep, there's all sorta shit going on in my gulliver when I'm asleep. You're describing general anesthesia. There ain't nothing going on there. And then suddenly you're back. I think general anesthesia is the closest analog we have of death. 'Cept for the part about and then suddenly you're back bit.

That would be called "Gulliver Unravels".
Weeping

Brilliant!