Any thoughts on the "after Life"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2013, 12:04 AM
RE: Any thoughts on the "after Life"
When I die, I wake up inside of a vagina and sit there for about 7 months before I pop out with no memory of my past life.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DemonicLemon's post
06-11-2013, 01:02 AM
(05-11-2013 02:03 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(05-11-2013 01:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  There is evidence that extinction is the answer, and no evidence that it is not.
This.

The reason Dawkins is 6.99 on the Dawkins scale is because he is unable to prove the nonexistence of deities. Just like he can't prove a teapot is not orbiting somewhere out in space.

The burden of proof is on the ones making the extraordinary claim. In this case, the extraordinary claim is the postmortem preservation of identity. It's on them to prove their claim is true, it's not on the rest of us to prove it's not true.

The evidence points in the direction of death meaning that you actually die. I've also always thought it was rather absurd for afterlfe-believers to use the word death to mean "living forever."

You are caught up with semantics.
Why is the claim extraordinary?
In terms of eternity/infinity "proof" of a scientific nature is not needed and there is no burden to provide such.
Speculation, contemplation, and considerations beyond the scientific method deal with subjective ponderings, not logical positivism.
It is a different area of consideration and is not attempting to 'prove' anything.
The proofs of an emerging scientism lie within the observed boundaries of the discipline itself, and other existential cosmic systems or purposes may not be impossible, or silly, simply because our scientific method cannot deal with such.
06-11-2013, 06:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 06:44 AM by Luminon.)
I don't believe in any gods, I count myself among the atheist crowd, mainly because I don't believe in belief. I believe in experimental attitude towards undergoing of experiences that most people would imagine as divine communion.

Death is the last experiment I want to perform, but for this experiment I have prepared and carefully crafted the hypotheses. In my hypotheses, the universe is made of multiple kinds of matter (for example dark matter) which makes up what we think of as the 7 extra dimensions of 11-dimensional string theory. I subscribe to the multiple worlds-multiple bodies hypothesis, a human being as a complex life consists of multiple "vehicles" of consciousness, one or two per dimension. So if our biological body dies, we should find ourselves in another "body" (sort of an ovoidal plasmoid), a dimension or two away, but with an expanded consciousness, very much alive. We are more dead (less conscious) as we are now, than in our original form. Right now we are as dead as it ever gets, within limitations of the biological brain.

There are experiments I can perform in that direction even now. So far I've had success and so I don't fear death. I fear a wasted life and a sudden, unconscious death, that would ruin my plans. I want to observe my death in the first front row. If it turns out to be a blackout or some kind of religious boot camp afterlife, I'm going to be very disappointed, but so far my observations say neither is the case.

OK, I get that most atheists are ex-theists and there used to loom an eternity over them, be it eternity in flames or kissing ass-shaped clouds. So they look forward to a dream they don't remember and don't wake up from. But I think they lost the experimental attitude. The mainstream biology science says death is flipping off the switch and that settles it. Well, I look up some not so mainstream research (and my experience) that shows there is some kind of mechanism to survive (possibly thrive) after death and I'm not giving up my curiosity. They shouldn't either, latest research says there is some most intense brain activity in the moment of death. Prepare for a mind-blowing experience!
06-11-2013, 10:00 AM
No one can prove its going to happen, so why the hell care about it. The only existence we know of is the here and now. Lets focus on that while we still can.
[+] 1 user Likes Bjorn's post
06-11-2013, 01:47 PM
(05-11-2013 12:42 PM)curios Wrote:  I am working on a school project for a world "religions" class. We are looking at various worldviews and discussing their views of eternity. I am representing the atheist worldview and would like to provide insight into atheistic thoughts of the after life if there is such a concept in this worldview. Please feel free to provide any thoughts or insights that would help with this project. Thank you.
We're all glad to be listened to (everyone's favorite thing) and I thank you for the opportunity.
And you can do one thing in return, after you finish the project, please come back, sum it up to us (at least this thread gets used for something) and then describe any class reactions.

I come from a very indifferent and lukewarm European country and most classmates I've ever seen were dull and silent every time someone presented something. I haven't ever seen a class discussion in my life, people are divided into classes randomly and there are never enough active and intelligent students per class. Our teachers must feel so awkward when their questions hang in the air and students do not react.