Any video editors out there?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Any video editors out there?
A few of my coworkers and I are doing a course with the NIH and we have to make a 2 minute video to show the journey. Is there a good video editing software out there that anyone can suggest? I have no idea on how do this.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-03-2017, 01:07 PM
RE: Any video editors out there?
are you on a Mac?

I use iMovie and it's really easy
my husband likes Final Cut Pro

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
09-03-2017, 01:37 PM
(09-03-2017 01:07 PM)ShadowProject Wrote:  are you on a Mac?

I use iMovie and it's really easy
my husband likes Final Cut Pro

PC. Sorry, I forgot about that need of distinction.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
09-03-2017, 01:45 PM
If you are running a Mac then I agree with ShadowProject. On my second job from the Fire Dept. (we work 24hrs on and 48hrs off) I create videos for high end real estate. I've got a ungodly amount of money tied up in photo / video equipment. I finally got my hands on a Mavic Pro Drone to go along with my Inspire 1 so I'm able to get some really nice aerial footage to supplement my ground footage.

Depending on how deep you want to delve into post processing I would highly recommend a Mac since they seem to be optimised with that in mind. I personally use Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro CC and I use Adobe Lightroom to develop all my photos which I only shoot in RAW format. It's a very expensive hobby and I've got a little over $4500 my Macbook Pro and 2 external 1TB SSD drives. That's not taking into account the amount of money tied up in the DSLR, lenses, Sliders, 3 axis gimbals, and 2 drones.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
09-03-2017, 03:50 PM
(09-03-2017 01:45 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  If you are running a Mac then I agree with ShadowProject. On my second job from the Fire Dept. (we work 24hrs on and 48hrs off) I create videos for high end real estate. I've got a ungodly amount of money tied up in photo / video equipment. I finally got my hands on a Mavic Pro Drone to go along with my Inspire 1 so I'm able to get some really nice aerial footage to supplement my ground footage.

Depending on how deep you want to delve into post processing I would highly recommend a Mac since they seem to be optimised with that in mind. I personally use Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere Pro CC and I use Adobe Lightroom to develop all my photos which I only shoot in RAW format. It's a very expensive hobby and I've got a little over $4500 my Macbook Pro and 2 external 1TB SSD drives. That's not taking into account the amount of money tied up in the DSLR, lenses, Sliders, 3 axis gimbals, and 2 drones.

I have a PC. I don't need anything heavy duty, just something that is user friendly as I have no idea what I am doing. I am not planning on making a hobby out of this, I just want something that works and is simple.

- Paul Dirac
09-03-2017, 04:00 PM
You can try this.

http://www.openshot.org/

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
09-03-2017, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2017 04:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(09-03-2017 12:57 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  A few of my coworkers and I are doing a course with the NIH and we have to make a 2 minute video to show the journey. Is there a good video editing software out there that anyone can suggest? I have no idea on how do this.

Send the raw footage to my daughter, she's in uni learning to do exactly that professionally. Already has a few paid marketing viddies promoting various academic programs. She'd do it just to add it her CV. Seriously, send me a PM.

If you want to do it yourself this product is one I hear artsy fartsy's talking about - Camtasia. I played with it some and found it too complicated to be worth my effort. Even the simpler ones weren't worth the 4-6 hour effort required for a one time thing. If I need to edit some video I got people for that.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
09-03-2017, 04:05 PM
(09-03-2017 03:50 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I have a PC. I don't need anything heavy duty, just something that is user friendly as I have no idea what I am doing. I am not planning on making a hobby out of this, I just want something that works and is simple.

Are you recording in 4k or something lower? Without knowing the specs of your machine I can't really give you much to go by. 4k with a basic PC will take forever to render the video. 1080P will still render video but depending on your PC's specs will determine how fast the video will render and what sort of post processing you can do with the video (assuming you want to do any at all). I'm going under the assumption that you would like to edit videos but also make them look as good as possible? If you put up the specs of your machine I can give you a realistic outcome of the time it will take to render video and the ability to make color adjustments in post.

09-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Take for example using a GoPro at 4k. If you want a relatively nice piece of software that will allow you to do some adjustments then GoPro editing software is pretty user friendly and allows for a solid workflow. It's free software if you have a GoPro and not a bad program at all if you don't want to make cinema quality videos. But depending on your machine's specs will determine how long it will actually take to render your video.