Anybody Heard of this book?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2016, 10:01 AM
RE: Anybody Heard of this book?
(26-06-2016 06:55 AM)cactus Wrote:  Definite poe.

I read that as "define poe" and thought you were questioning my characterization of the OP... Gotta bump the font size on the browser I guess...
Facepalm

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
26-06-2016, 10:43 AM
(26-06-2016 10:01 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 06:55 AM)cactus Wrote:  Definite poe.

I read that as "define poe" and thought you were questioning my characterization of the OP... Gotta bump the font size on the browser I guess...
Facepalm

Getting older sucks, eh?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
26-06-2016, 10:46 AM
(26-06-2016 07:50 AM)TheDonJohn Wrote:  Woah, woah. Why would I try to sell you this book? Yes, I've posted the question around, but that's how I am. I thought I'd try several places because I don't like to commit to things, and people online aren't always willing to give their two cents. For example, over at that other forum no one has said anything. Finding the book was to me just very strange and I felt I needed to talk to people, seeing as how asking my family would be a bad idea. But nevermind, I see this was just a mistake. Hard-core atheists are always trying to ruin peoples' day. I'm not about to deal with more problems from people. Thank you to those who have been kind. Good bye.

Hahaha!

http://www.talkparanormal.com/showthread...#pid188852

I can tell by the back that it's an unimpressive book that accepts Christian presuppositions with zero critical assessment.

Tell ya what, get the book, read it and come back here and post the best argument from it about god's existence. I guarantee you it will be trite, lame and ignorant.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
26-06-2016, 10:56 AM
So, since we "hard-core atheists" are always trying to ruin peoples' day...

I propose a new forum game: Re-title the book, using any portion or all of the blurb posted...

Quote:Celibate Nights: 1001 Ways of Masturbation
The book's description reads: "A word of caution: No one has ever taken it to this level. Ensure you can endure the storms of shock or surprise. Whether you believe in God or not, this will challenge your preconceptions. This is not a book for the weak-minded. Through much pain and suffering, and through the trials and tribulations which several times nearly killed me -- I have written this book for you. I will expose the lies to you, uncover the truths for you, and wake many of you from your stupors."

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
26-06-2016, 10:57 AM
(26-06-2016 04:29 AM)TheDonJohn Wrote:  I was praying this morning for God to give me guidance on religion and for him to expose the truths to me (My family went through some hard times, and religion had a lot to do with it). Suddenly, the thought entered my mind to check Amazon.

Sorry to hear that you're going through some hard times. Sounds like an odd way to build a book collection, but to each their own.

Quote: I did, and I found this book: "Religion Exposed: Corruption, Deceit, and the Evil Spirits Responsible". Seems to be a few days old too. Very, very strange. For the first time in many years, I feel as if God actually spoke to me. Ironic, because the title seems to go against religion. I wanna read it so badly, but at the same time I'm scared. I don't know what I could find, and don't deal too well with being shocked or surprised. I'd rather ask people on the internet.

The book's description reads: "A word of caution: No one has ever taken it to this level. Ensure you can endure the storms of shock or surprise. Whether you believe in God or not, this will challenge your preconceptions. This is not a book for the weak-minded. Through much pain and suffering, and through the trials and tribulations which several times nearly killed me -- I have written this book for you. I will expose the lies to you, uncover the truths for you, and wake many of you from your stupors."

Granted, I'm judging a book by it's cover here, but that's what we have to go on. Sounds like utter drek to me and I wouldn't waste the paper to print it on. Anything describing itself as 'possibly too much for you to handle' is using blatant high-pressure sales tactics and isn't even being subtle about it. The description sounds like it was written by the least reputable of used car salesmen.

As others have said, the cost of the book won't bankrupt you but I would strongly suspect that the content, or lack thereof, will leave you wanting your money and time refunded.

If you're genuinely intereseted in getting a decent book then drop a note here about your beliefs and general reading preferences and I'm sure we can offer some reasonable sugestions.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
26-06-2016, 11:10 AM
(26-06-2016 07:50 AM)TheDonJohn Wrote:  ...
Hard-core atheists are always trying to ruin peoples' day.

Please accept the apologies of all the staff and members here.

Everyone,
From now on, anyone expressing hard-core atheism on this forum dedicated to the worship of atheism will henceforth be first warned and then banned if the offence is repeated.

However, if your goals are less lofty and you wish to ruin an individual person's day (or night) rather than targeting a whole people ... carry on.

Angel

[+] 9 users Like DLJ's post
26-06-2016, 11:19 AM
Read "The Origins of Satan" ... Dr. Elaine Pagels, (Princeton).
Evil spirits are nothing but mythological.
We know who cooked up the idea.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-06-2016, 11:20 AM
(26-06-2016 11:10 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-06-2016 07:50 AM)TheDonJohn Wrote:  ...
Hard-core atheists are always trying to ruin peoples' day.

Please accept the apologies of all the staff and members here.

Everyone,
From now on, anyone expressing hard-core atheism on this forum dedicated to the worship of atheism will henceforth be first warned and then banned if the offence is repeated.

However, if your goals are less lofty and you wish to ruin an individual person's day (or night) rather than targeting a whole people ... carry on.

Angel

Geez, glad to read this and know that I can just pick one person. I really didn't want to leave the house today to ruin the day for all the non-atheists out there...this is Texas after all...and it's hot.

Of course, it will be a little boring to ruin husband's day...I mean, really, it's been done. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
26-06-2016, 11:24 AM (This post was last modified: 26-06-2016 11:32 AM by I Am.)
That blurb sounds like a carny selling the extra-special show at the back of the tent.

"Ladies and gents, I know there's not a one among you who feels that you haven't already gotten your dollar's worth, and it is our pleasure and our passion to present you with such a show. But for those among you, the menfolk most stout of heart and steady of spirit I offer you a sight so chilling, an experience so stunning, that you will whisper of it to your friends only when ladies and children are not around. No man who holds his courage dear can pass up this once in a lifetime chance to see firsthand, with his very own eyes, the alligator woman from the Heart of Hindoo India, in all her scaly glory. No glass will protect you from her, and no scrap of cloth will hide her from your astounded eyes. So, for the real men in this tent today, for the paltry contribution of a mere four bits, you yes YOU will witness for yourself the blahdeblahdeblahblahblah..."

On the off chance the OP is sincere: You're being wound up. There's not going to be anything in that book more impressive than a lady suffering from a bad case of eczema, or the religious equivalent. It's a sideshow.
[+] 2 users Like I Am's post
26-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Just to explain something about the web:

This thread is a publicity stunt, google follows all the links and google thinks all the links coming from here are relevant to atheists. So, if you link to this book, or it's reviews, you inadvertently give it publicity in the search engines. Which is why the OP created the thread in the first place. It's an old internet publicity stunt and plain spam.

But it's a step more crafty as he relies on you to create the links.... Sadcryface

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 9 users Like Dom's post