Anybody Here teach in a Catholic school?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Anybody Here teach in a Catholic school?
I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools from grades 5-12. My thinking became atheistic after I read A Brief History of Time in college. My belief in god has basically been zero since that time, though I have only recently considered myself an atheist.

Here's my situation......I quit my job to go back to school to become a teacher and graduated with my Masters in Education, teaching science. The problem is that it is very hard to get into the public schools in my area. So, the only job available was in a Catholic school. (I have been teaching there almost two years.) I took the job because I have a family with young children and I need it! I teach science and......I have to teach religion.

I was wondering if anybody here on this forum ever heard of a situation like this and if so, what advice they have.
Thanks
J
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sjm36507's post
17-06-2015, 06:51 PM
RE: Anybody Here teach in a Catholic school?
Wow! That's an interesting situation within which to find oneself.

Subtle subversion is called for, I think.

Welcome to TTA.

17-06-2015, 06:54 PM
(17-06-2015 04:11 PM)sjm36507 Wrote:  I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools from grades 5-12. My thinking became atheistic after I read A Brief History of Time in college. My belief in god has basically been zero since that time, though I have only recently considered myself an atheist.

Here's my situation......I quit my job to go back to school to become a teacher and graduated with my Masters in Education, teaching science. The problem is that it is very hard to get into the public schools in my area. So, the only job available was in a Catholic school. (I have been teaching there almost two years.) I took the job because I have a family with young children and I need it! I teach science and......I have to teach religion.

I was wondering if anybody here on this forum ever heard of a situation like this and if so, what advice they have.
Thanks
J

Do you mean you have to teach a religion class in addition or that you have to pollute your science class? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-06-2015, 07:50 PM
I had some really good teachers when I was in Catholic school...both members of the clergy and not. My first high school science teacher was a Catholic brother...I don't recall there ever being any mention of religion in his Intro to Physics class. I also don't recall him teaching any of the religion classes.

My biology teacher was not clergy and was one of my favorite teachers. His wife also taught at the school but didn't teach any religion classes.

We actually had very few religion classes and religion didn't really color any of our other classes. I recall taking World Religions which was pretty interesting since my home town was almost all Catholic. And we had Towards Marriage which was pretty heavily religious. We had to take a religion class every year but to be honest, I don't remember any of the other ones.

Keep looking for something else while you get experience as a teacher. You have a family to feed.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
18-06-2015, 02:34 AM
I think it depends on the country and school.
I mentioned in this post that most of my teachers were probably secular. This was in an English catholic school, it would probably be more of an issue in the states.

Welcome btw! Wink

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased