Anybody else get picked on at school for being athesit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2017, 06:46 AM
RE: Anybody else get picked on at school for being athesit?
(08-04-2014 09:33 PM)theatheistcat Wrote:  Everytime someone asks me "what are you?" (referring to religion), I automatically say I am atheist ( no shame :3). Then, all of a sudden, hell breaks lose. "OMG LIEK YOURE GOING TO HELL" "DEVIL WORSHIPER" "HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN ALL THIS NATURE AND EVERYTHING AROUND US? OBVIOUSLY THERE IS A GOD". This forum gives me hope when my days end up with dealing people like that .. They're points are far from ever being valid. So yeah. I'd like to hear about all y'all's experiences :3

How often do people come around and ask you what religion are you a part of? I can't think of a time, especially when I was in school where anyone ever asked that.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2017, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2017 07:18 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
(19-02-2017 06:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 09:33 PM)theatheistcat Wrote:  Everytime someone asks me "what are you?" (referring to religion), I automatically say I am atheist ( no shame :3). Then, all of a sudden, hell breaks lose. "OMG LIEK YOURE GOING TO HELL" "DEVIL WORSHIPER" "HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN ALL THIS NATURE AND EVERYTHING AROUND US? OBVIOUSLY THERE IS A GOD". This forum gives me hope when my days end up with dealing people like that .. They're points are far from ever being valid. So yeah. I'd like to hear about all y'all's experiences :3

How often do people come around and ask you what religion are you a part of? I can't think of a time, especially when I was in school where anyone ever asked that.

I recall my religious music teacher making a comment about atheists in high school. In addition my middle school history teacher brought up intelligent design and was excited about it, and told the class that God created everything. Thirdly an eastern religions teacher I had who was rather pretentious, said that "Don't say you are 'good'. Only God is good".

19-02-2017, 07:19 AM
Reminder:

This is the teens only section.

I suspect that some posting in this thread are over 19.

Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-02-2017, 07:22 AM
(19-02-2017 07:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Reminder:

Dodgy

Woops. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
19-02-2017, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2017 07:28 AM by Anjele.)
TTA Teens
A forum for the teens of TTA. Teens, feel free to post your questions, ideas, and any other wacky weirdness you may possess. Old farts, enter at your own risk. Please don't feed the animals.

Seems to me that some people were trying to converse on the subject. Adults have never been banned from this section.

(19-02-2017 07:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Reminder:

Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-02-2017, 08:21 AM
(19-02-2017 07:24 AM)Anjele Wrote:  ...
Seems to me that some people were trying to converse on the subject. Adults have never been banned from this section.

Not banned, just discouraged.

19-02-2017, 08:28 AM
(19-02-2017 08:21 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-02-2017 07:24 AM)Anjele Wrote:  ...

Not banned, just discouraged.

Yes, yes, I can certainly see how it's better for a new teen who doesn't realize this part of the forum isn't very active any more to just not receive any feedback at all.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
19-02-2017, 08:39 AM
(19-02-2017 08:28 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-02-2017 08:21 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Not banned, just discouraged.

Yes, yes, I can certainly see how it's better for a new teen who doesn't realize this part of the forum isn't very active any more to just not receive any feedback at all.

Which is possibly why the comments aren't deleted.

We've asked before whether this sanctuary-section should be removed and people wanted to keep it.

Sometimes people forget the social contract thingy and some never knew in the first place.
It's a mod's job to give a gentle reminder occasionally.

Does this really need explaining?

Huh

19-02-2017, 09:11 AM
(19-02-2017 08:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-02-2017 08:28 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Yes, yes, I can certainly see how it's better for a new teen who doesn't realize this part of the forum isn't very active any more to just not receive any feedback at all.

Which is possibly why the comments aren't deleted.

We've asked before whether this sanctuary-section should be removed and people wanted to keep it.

Sometimes people forget the social contract thingy and some never knew in the first place.
It's a mod's job to give a gentle reminder occasionally.

Does this really need explaining?

Huh

I forgot myself there for a moment. I know nothing about how this place operates and should keep opinions on same to myself.

19-02-2017, 09:16 AM
(19-02-2017 03:06 AM)RespectedPants Wrote:  I live in California and in my area religion (or lack thereof) is not something people are mocked for, however there is a similar issue with social justice. At my school it is expected that students will drink the social justice bleach being forced upon us by both students and staff. Sharing an "offensive" opinion is asking for ridicule.

I went to Catholic schools most of my pre and teen years. There was one open atheist who was accepted as the weird guy but his whole family was seen as a bit odd...for many reasons, not just their non-belief.

The social justice thing is often just following the newest fad when it comes to teens. In my experience it was the thing to do and not necessarily a clearly thought out path. Not following the crowd sets teens up for issues quite often...following a different drummer isn't always seen as a good thing.

Luckily, you should age out that when you are able to choose who you spend time with instead of being forced into contact because you are in the same class or school. Don't drink that bleach...make up your own mind. And welcome.