Anybody else into smoking (BBQ)?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Anybody else into smoking (BBQ)?
Long story short: I'm from southwest Virginia. Even though I've always enjoyed things like ribs and pulled pork, before 2015 whenever I thought of "barbecue" I thought of dried meat drowned in barbecue sauce. I was never a fan. Then I went down to Alabama, met my girlfriend's family and had proper smoked food that my little lady's dad made on his smoker. I was hooked.

In December, for Christmas, they gifted me their old smoker, an offset vertical Brinkmann trailmaster. I've had several successful smokes with it. I love it, and have used the hell out of it, but it has difficulties holding temps, and I never felt like pouring a horde of money into making mods for it. However, I did save my money up, and last week I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker. I'm in love.

I used the WSM for the very first time on Friday and, again for the first time, smoked some baby back ribs and a bacon wrapped pork loin, using applewood from my tree out front. I'm absolutely hooked, and that's kind of an understatement. I've developed a passion for it, and while it feels like a pipe dream, I would love to open a barbecue restaurant one day.

[Image: GZnMBQN.jpg]

[Image: ejeh9t4.jpg]

[Image: dRxZDgt.jpg]

[Image: GYBF42D.jpg]

[Image: z0u0uPv.jpg]

[Image: KANqJ80.jpg]

Does anybody else on here enjoy this hobby?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like UndauntedToast's post
05-06-2017, 02:17 PM
RE: Anybody else into smoking (BBQ)?
I'm too lazy for such a hobby, but I sure do enjoy eating its products. Not coincidentally, I also enjoy alcoholic beverages with some smoke in the production thereof, like rauchbier and peated whisky.
05-06-2017, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 04:44 PM by Fireball.)
I smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving many years ago, under duress. The smoker's coal-fired and I was loading coals in it for hours. Not a big fan. But I do have a grill (propane-fed) that I cook on when the weather is good, usually holidays and birthdays, and some weekends.
05-06-2017, 06:05 PM
I smoke chicken regularly. I've got plenty of mesquite growing around the property, so I go and saw some off when I'm in for it. Soak it for a couple of hours (you have to with mesquite, because it burns very hot and will dry out and blaze up. I'll baste the chicken in butter and olive oil, with herbs appropriate to intended use (usually sandwiches, sometimes the main course in a meal). Every so often I'll smoke a tri-tip roast, but lordy, that takes a while. When I do beef, I use no BBQ sauce, just a good marinade beforehand.

I've also smoked jerky, using milanesa or asada cut into strips and, again, marinated. While smoking, I continue basting with the marinade. It's gotten good reviews from my coworkers with whom I share it:

[Image: 2nta0dt.jpg]

I got a new smoker this last winter, with cast-iron grates. It's a great bit of kit and it'll be around for years ... best $100 I've spent on cooking in a long time.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Looks damn good, Thump!

One of my reasons for getting a WSM was dealing with the old Brinkmann's deficiency at maintaining temp. I kept having to add coals all day. So much $$$ down the drain (because of the charcoal waste). Plus, the fire chamber's dampers were rusted and of no use. Now I can "set it and forget it" for a good while with the WSM.
[+] 1 user Likes UndauntedToast's post
06-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Alabama smoker here. I went electric and it works great.

[Image: ribs_zpsh3sobjsj.jpg]

[Image: final%20product_zps5hidigbx.jpg]

[Image: Pork_zps4tygzqfg.jpg]

[Image: Pork_zpsjsaquiyx.jpg]

You might look into something link a Pitmaster IQ to take the guess work out of temperature control.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
08-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Nice, Popeye's Pappy! Appreciate the pics! I'm actually saving up for Smoke from ThermoWorks whenever I have a little bit of extra cash. Might eventually get a Thermapen, too, as far as instant reads go (using the $10 Weber instaread right now. It's doing pretty good so far, but I've had to reset it a few times.)

Cool to see you are from 'Bama. I visit the little lady's family around the Talladega/Munford parts of the state.
08-06-2017, 08:40 AM
(08-06-2017 06:53 AM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  Nice, Popeye's Pappy! Appreciate the pics! I'm actually saving up for Smoke from ThermoWorks whenever I have a little bit of extra cash. Might eventually get a Thermapen, too, as far as instant reads go (using the $10 Weber instaread right now. It's doing pretty good so far, but I've had to reset it a few times.)

Cool to see you are from 'Bama. I visit the little lady's family around the Talladega/Munford parts of the state.

Temperature probes are a must and the Pitmaster IQ has them, but what makes it special is the PLC controlled fan. It keeps the cooking temperature of the smoker itself where you want it. Automatic temp control really takes the guess work out of smoking. That's why I like the electric so much. Set the grill temp to 225 and it stays there. There's no dickering with the dampers trying to keep the temperature where you want it.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
13-06-2017, 12:43 PM
I have an electric smoker. I got hooked using barrel grill with a side box for smoking but it was too hard to maintain the proper temperature. The electric smoker is awesome. I set the temp, add smoke chips as needed and that's all she wrote. Pulled pork, turkey breast, ribs, jerky, chicken and brisket. Brisket has been the hardest for me to do. Some failures and some good ones. The only drawback is the timing. To have brisket or a big Boston But done for a dinner party, I usually have to get up at 4am or so to get the meat cooking. I've had good results using the recipes and guidance from the book Slow Fire by Ray Lampe.

I find that once I've got the smoker going the one neighbor usually finds some excuse to start up a conversation late in the afternoon which results in some sharing. Fortunately, when he comes back from fishing and offers fresh tuna the scales are balanced.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley