Anybody get this argument?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2014, 02:59 PM
RE: Anybody get this argument?
How very anthropocentric of her Smile

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2014, 09:06 PM
(06-03-2014 12:44 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  What's with religious people and thinking if a world view is negative in some way it's automatically invalidated? "Atheism does not make any sense because Atheists don't believe in any higher being than themselves. Its a very narcissistic and almost psychopathic belief system, leaving no room for morality or respect for others"? That's not not making sense, that's not being pleasant. Sometimes, the world just does that.

The idea in general is bull, of course, but come on, what convinced these people life must always be nice?

I hate it when they use that stance about atheists. It's bullshit. Just because I don't believe in gawd doesn't mean I think human beings are all that great. Don't believe in a higher being? Bears. Bears are way higher. Doesn't matter how smart you are, or how much you believe in spiritual mumbo jumbo. Bears will MESS you up.

But seriously though, being an atheist, my stance when that argument is posed is this: I believe in forces greater than humanity. I believe in magnetic fields, gravity, cohesive molecular bonding, many things that not only are more powerful than humanity, but without which humanity would not exist. So I guess I worship physics. Consider
06-03-2014, 11:50 PM
I used to be the religious one using the"I just believe there is a higher power argument" The sad reality was I was really scared of death and and my atheist husband was so stinking blunt. I finally really looked at religion and was embarrassed I tricked myself so long. I think ,like you said, childhood indoctrination goes a long way. Also I didn't want to admit he was right.
[+] 1 user Likes DeeSK's post
16-03-2014, 08:31 PM
No one knows if a god exists or not. Even Catholics are 'agnostic' at the end of the day. Of course, they believe they are the moral high ground and know with certainty that a god exists, but they don't. No one knows with certainty, one way or the other. Atheism is far from narcissitic. It's probably the most natural state a person can live in. Religion if anything, is narcissistic for it prides itself on competing with atheists, and other religions, in order to 'win.' It's also built on lies.

Now that I'm no longer a believer, it would be hard to date one. When I was Christian, I dated atheists. But, now that the shoe is on the other foot, how did they put up with me? Big Grin Tongue

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
17-03-2014, 06:54 AM
For the most part indifferent atheists can date someone from any religion cause we don't often care about those silly beliefs. If you are hot enough and fun to be with I don't care (For the most part). It's the religious that can't date other people from other religions.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes CONVERSIONTUBE's post
17-03-2014, 09:16 AM
(28-02-2014 08:31 AM)retroviral Wrote:  "Its a very narcissistic and almost psychopathic belief system, leaving no room for morality or respect for others."

Just ask her "Am I not living proof that none of these are necessarily true"? Unless, of course, you are narcissistic, psychopathic, immoral and have no respect for others... Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Another point...atheism isn't a belief system. We just don't believe in one thing. We can disagree on everything else. I can believe the world is flat and the moon is made of green cheese. My beliefs do not in any sense stem from my atheism nor do the beliefs of anyone who disagrees with me over these topics.
17-03-2014, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2014 01:33 PM by NoSkyDaddy.)
It's a silly argument.

Morality is an observable phenomenon like the weather or the tides. The bible, like many ancient texts, contains ancient explanations for phenomena that were poorly understood by ancient peoples. They were doing the best they could, but, their ignorance is evident in the light of science.

Scientific study of the atmosphere has revealed the causes of rain, lightning, thunder and tornados. Geology has explained volcanos and earthquakes. So too the study of psychology is increasing our understanding of the human behavior we call morality. It is already demonstrable that morality is a necessary behavioral trait of a social species (like us). No god(s) required.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
17-03-2014, 01:35 PM
See the section of my article starting with the paragraph reading "I actually agree with him that..." It briefly discusses the science behind morality through the lens of primatology.

http://historum.com/blogs/ghostexorcist/...steel.html
18-03-2014, 11:09 AM
I had an interesting conversation with my wife last night. We discussed whether or not religiosity is merely a necessary step in human evolution, one which is now mired in obsolescence. My stance is that religious beliefs were necessary during the early formation of human civilization, a powerful tool that made human beings congregate into tribal groups and to create a legal structure for those newly formed tribes. Let's face it, every civilization originated from a religiously governed state. But now the vast majority of countries have set up a method of governance that is independent of any church. So now religion serves no benefit, much in the same manner that training wheels are sometimes necessary but are soon cast aside for independence.
[+] 1 user Likes retroviral's post
28-03-2014, 02:52 PM
The difference between atheists and theists is not that one group thinks of themselves as the ultimate arbiters of truth and meaning and morality; we all do because that is simply the nature of subjective experience and our inability to perceive the world from any other perspective besides our own (of course we can empathize and consider other points of view--but it's still being filtered through our own outlook or perspective).

The chief difference is that unlike atheists, theists consider their beliefs sanctioned by an omniscient being, and therefore, by extension, infallible. To me that is ultimate arrogance.
[+] 1 user Likes Pickup_shonuff's post