Anybody get this argument?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: Anybody get this argument?
(28-03-2014 02:52 PM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  The difference between atheists and theists is not that one group thinks of themselves as the ultimate arbiters of truth and meaning and morality; we all do because that is simply the nature of subjective experience and our inability to perceive the world from any other perspective besides our own (of course we can empathize and consider other points of view--but it's still being filtered through our own outlook or perspective).

The chief difference is that unlike atheists, theists consider their beliefs sanctioned by an omniscient being, and therefore, by extension, infallible. To me that is ultimate arrogance.

Agreed. And I find it highly ironic, since the most common remark regarding atheism that I have heard centers on how arrogant atheists are for believing we are the ultimate higher power. When we don't by ANY means believe that. Like I said previously, there are so many forces at play in the universe that we don't understand, or are just BEGINNING to gain a meager grasp of, that the entire argument just seems ludicrous. But to assign those mysterious things a religious value is a practice so primitive that I would hope that we, as humanity, have evolved beyond. But sadly it is proven over and over that we are merely semi-intelligent animals throwing sticks and stones at each other and bowing reverently to the sun as it sets.

Wish we would grow the hell up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2014, 03:21 PM
Derped

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2014, 03:53 PM
(28-02-2014 08:31 AM)retroviral Wrote:  My wife was raised in a religious environment similar to my own upbringing, Catholic dogma and ritual. We had a mild debate over theology the other day, and she said something that made me shake my head in disbelief. "Atheism does not make any sense because Atheists don't believe in any higher being than themselves. Its a very narcissistic and almost psychopathic belief system, leaving no room for morality or respect for others." As hard as I tried, I could not help but chuckle at this, which made her very angry. After I calmed her down and reassured her that I was not laughing AT her, but merely laughing because I had heard this argument plenty of times before. My answer to this argument was this: Atheists don't believe in a god, or a theory of intelligent creation. Atheists believe in what is scientifically provable. But the idea that we would not believe in anything more powerful than humanity is asinine. Put an Atheist in a room with a Kodiak bear and see which one comes out.

I know that wasn't her point. Her point centered more on the creation side. But science has plenty of evidence showing how life came to be.

Any thoughts on this matter?

The argument does not make sense at all because morality and respect for others do not take up any room. I imagine it is hard for your wife to separate her words from her identity. It is quite possible to laugh about one but not the other.

My current project is explaining why many things in this world are irrelevant to me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Please forgive me for saying so, but if one is on an atheist forum asking how to debunk one's wife's argument, then the focus is on the wrong problem.

A serious question regarding the future of this relationship needs to be faced. Perhaps contact a lawyer and make preperations.

Good luck.

A coleague of mine recently tossed a coin with his wife to see who would get the house. He lost so he handed over the keys and simply walked away.

It is never too late to start over.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
14-04-2014, 12:12 PM
(01-04-2014 07:55 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Please forgive me for saying so, but if one is on an atheist forum asking how to debunk one's wife's argument, then the focus is on the wrong problem.

A serious question regarding the future of this relationship needs to be faced. Perhaps contact a lawyer and make preperations.

Good luck.

A coleague of mine recently tossed a coin with his wife to see who would get the house. He lost so he handed over the keys and simply walked away.

Facepalm So what you go from my post is "it's time to divorce"??? I wasn't asking for tips on how to properly debunk my wife's religious viewpoints. I was merely asking if this was a common tactic used against others. My goal is not to prove my wife wrong, nor to antagonize her or convert her. Her faith is her own, and as long as she doesn't try to convert ME, she's welcome to believe whatever hogwash she prefers.
14-04-2014, 12:32 PM
(01-04-2014 07:55 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Please forgive me for saying so, but if one is on an atheist forum asking how to debunk one's wife's argument, then the focus is on the wrong problem.
Perhaps contact a lawyer and make preperations.

Bloody hell. mate. A married couple disagree over one thing and you think they should split up?

Hopefully, you're not a marriage counsellor.
14-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Most people have a skewed view of what being an atheist is like (negative media and all that.) If the real argument is over creation then maybe you could encourage her to read a book you found helpful and in return you could perhaps read a book of her choosing.

The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.
-God Is Not Great
15-04-2014, 12:04 PM
(14-04-2014 12:12 PM)retroviral Wrote:  

Good luck.

Facepalm So what you go from my post is "it's time to divorce"??? I wasn't asking for tips on how to properly debunk my wife's religious viewpoints. I was merely asking if this was a common tactic used against others. My goal is not to prove my wife wrong, nor to antagonize her or convert her. Her faith is her own, and as long as she doesn't try to convert ME, she's welcome to believe whatever hogwash she prefers.

Um has it never occurred to you that, since you are an atheist (or claim to be one), what your wife is saying she thinks about atheists, she is actually telling YOU that she thinks about YOU?:

"YOU does not make any sense because YOU don't believe in any higher being than YOURSELF. YOU ARE very narcissistic and almost psychopathic, WITH no room for morality or respect for others.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop