Anyone Been To A Protest About Trump?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
06-03-2017, 08:22 PM
RE: Anyone Been To A Protest About Trump?
(06-03-2017 07:02 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 06:59 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  You're making the assumption that I would be going to protest against Trump, while that is a fair one, that's not what I would be doing. I'm not even in the US so the protests against him over here are pointless.

Unless you weren't talking to me, in that case, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Was addressing the OP.,...

Sorry for the misunderstanding, sometimes people never used the quoting system at another forum I used to use.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2017, 03:18 PM
(01-03-2017 03:21 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Being in my conservative home, I always hear Fox News downstairs, or Sean Hanity on the radio to school.

These protests, most of what I hear I know to be lies. The internet doesn't provide much insight about these people.

So I have some to anyone on here who has been to these protests. From what you've heard conservatives say about it, to what actually is happening.

Sorry if I'm vague, but I can't give one exact link because of how much I've heard about it from different links.
The general M.O. of conservative media is to decry protesters as uncivil, rude, potentially dangerous, and to suggest or even outright claim that they are paid agitators or otherwise nefariously organized in some fashion. There is not really a culture of protest in the conservative world and what there is, is quite different, it is more simple-minded hectoring like at abortion clinics, and usually has to involve some kind of religious justification to override their native aversion to Not Respecting Authority.

From what I've both seen and read, most Trump protestors comport themselves well, especially when you consider that all it takes is a handful of asswipes to turn a peaceful protest into a shout-fest or even some kind of free-for-all. I have met literally dozens of people in my area who were NEVER into politics, much less protest, and are now quite ... shall we say, activated. One person we met on social media is seriously planning to run against our district's Republican congressman in 2018. She is feisty and has done a lot of religiously-motivated socially conscious stuff in her life, but has never been politically active, and here she is exercised enough to contemplate running for high office. There's a LOT of this going on. It's real, and not feigned. I'm sure many in the GOP hope it isn't sustainable, and just blows over. My sense is that it won't. I have a family member doing communications work at the local and state level for progressive causes, so I have some visibility into this.

Also, there's the case of Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III -- excuse me, Jeff Sessions -- former senator from Georgia whose seat is vacated now that he's (at least for the present) Attorney General. That puts a special election in play, and there's an upstanding young progressive credibly running to take his seat. The Daily Kos alone has raised over $1 million on his behalf, all in small (typically $1 to $5) donations. This is far and away a record for them. If he wins it will jeopardize the GOP majority in the Senate and send a pretty ominous message to the GOP.

So .. there's my $0.02 plus inflation, for what it's worth.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
12-03-2017, 04:17 PM
(12-03-2017 03:18 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(01-03-2017 03:21 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Being in my conservative home, I always hear Fox News downstairs, or Sean Hanity on the radio to school.

These protests, most of what I hear I know to be lies. The internet doesn't provide much insight about these people.

So I have some to anyone on here who has been to these protests. From what you've heard conservatives say about it, to what actually is happening.

Sorry if I'm vague, but I can't give one exact link because of how much I've heard about it from different links.
The general M.O. of conservative media is to decry protesters as uncivil, rude, potentially dangerous, and to suggest or even outright claim that they are paid agitators or otherwise nefariously organized in some fashion. There is not really a culture of protest in the conservative world and what there is, is quite different, it is more simple-minded hectoring like at abortion clinics, and usually has to involve some kind of religious justification to override their native aversion to Not Respecting Authority.

From what I've both seen and read, most Trump protestors comport themselves well, especially when you consider that all it takes is a handful of asswipes to turn a peaceful protest into a shout-fest or even some kind of free-for-all. I have met literally dozens of people in my area who were NEVER into politics, much less protest, and are now quite ... shall we say, activated. One person we met on social media is seriously planning to run against our district's Republican congressman in 2018. She is feisty and has done a lot of religiously-motivated socially conscious stuff in her life, but has never been politically active, and here she is exercised enough to contemplate running for high office. There's a LOT of this going on. It's real, and not feigned. I'm sure many in the GOP hope it isn't sustainable, and just blows over. My sense is that it won't. I have a family member doing communications work at the local and state level for progressive causes, so I have some visibility into this.

Also, there's the case of Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III -- excuse me, Jeff Sessions -- former senator from Georgia whose seat is vacated now that he's (at least for the present) Attorney General. That puts a special election in play, and there's an upstanding young progressive credibly running to take his seat. The Daily Kos alone has raised over $1 million on his behalf, all in small (typically $1 to $5) donations. This is far and away a record for them. If he wins it will jeopardize the GOP majority in the Senate and send a pretty ominous message to the GOP.

So .. there's my $0.02 plus inflation, for what it's worth.

I donated $30 dollars to that campaign in Georgia. I'm donating to all viable stuff that opposes trump and his shitty administration. Goddamn, I hate that man.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
12-03-2017, 06:36 PM
(06-03-2017 06:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And if you don't like any of the candidates you can show your displeasure by staying home..

This might also show them that you simply don't give a shit about who gets to make, vote and apply laws in your country.

AKA that your either to lazy, stupid, comfortable or cynical to care about such things.

If you really didn't like the choices you have, you would be better served by finding one proactively or even presenting yourself (which you totally can). At worst, you can lobby to force or convince people to give you what you want.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post