Anyone Else Recovering From 12-Step Groups?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2014, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2014 11:49 AM by anonymous66.)
RE: Anyone Else Recovering From 12-Step Groups?
(25-06-2014 09:04 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 06:15 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  @Pablo, have you found help for your problems with drinking? Feel free to pm if you like.

Thumbsup Yeah, I quit going to AA. Big Grin
All I did was talk about, and think about drinking. It was mind numbing and I was miserable. It was a pretty shitty time in my life, just split with my ex, my Dad had a stroke which blinded him, and my Mom was diagnosed with cancer all inside a couple of months. I still drink now and then, I just don't guzzle it like I did at that time. It's all good now. Thanks for asking. Smile
AA and other 12-step recovery groups are counter-intuitive. You end up spending all your time thinking about whatever problem you have, instead of living your life...

And you're right. They vastly overstate their success. If someone leaves the program, they're not included in the numbers. It was such a fact-denying, confidence, con game. "We know it works, because we know it works. Everyone who leaves is messed up and we know it's their issue, not any problem with our program".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2014, 10:39 AM
(25-06-2014 09:47 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 09:04 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  Thumbsup Yeah, I quit going to AA. Big Grin
All I did was talk about, and think about drinking. It was mind numbing and I was miserable. It was a pretty shitty time in my life, just split with my ex, my Dad had a stroke which blinded him, and my Mom was diagnosed with cancer all inside a couple of months. I still drink now and then, I just don't guzzle it like I did at that time. It's all good now. Thanks for asking. Smile
AA and other 12-step recovery groups do seem kind counter-intuitive. You end up spending all your time thinking about whatever problem you have, instead of living your life...

And you're right. They vastly overstate their success. If someone leaves the program, they're not included in the numbers. It was such a fact-denying confidence, con game. "We know it works, because we know it works. Everyone who leaves is messed up and we know it's their issue, not any problem with our program".

AA likes to say that if one of their members starts to drink again it's because they didn't work the entire program. Another one of their motto's "It works if you work it."
Don't get me wrong though, there are many who have done well with AA and I'm happy for them, I still know some. It just wasn't for me and I was very turned off by the god stuff.
Something I've heard often is if you can control your drinking without AA, then you weren't really an alcoholic in the first place. Facepalm
A round of No True Scotsman for everyone on the house! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
25-06-2014, 10:46 AM
(25-06-2014 10:39 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 09:47 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  AA and other 12-step recovery groups do seem kind counter-intuitive. You end up spending all your time thinking about whatever problem you have, instead of living your life...

And you're right. They vastly overstate their success. If someone leaves the program, they're not included in the numbers. It was such a fact-denying confidence, con game. "We know it works, because we know it works. Everyone who leaves is messed up and we know it's their issue, not any problem with our program".

AA likes to say that if one of their members starts to drink again it's because they didn't work the entire program. Another one of their motto's "It works if you work it."
Don't get me wrong though, there are many who have done well with AA and I'm happy for them, I still know some. It just wasn't for me and I was very turned off by the god stuff.
Something I've heard often is if you can control your drinking without AA, then you weren't really an alcoholic in the first place. Facepalm
A round of No True Scotsman for everyone on the house! Big Grin

Oh my gosh! Logic 101, people.