Anyone Thought of Starting a Climate Change Section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2017, 07:21 PM
Anyone Thought of Starting a Climate Change Section?
The issue is getting more and more public attention, and I think that given the breadth of challenges this climate change is expected to bring in the next few decades, the topic deserves it's own category.

Let's be honest; we're long past the point of trying to "prevent" disaster and it's becoming more apparent that climate change is getting to be an intractable part of life. We need to focus on facing and adapting to a vast range of issues coming down the pipe, from challenges to existing infrastructure, to agricultural changes, to public health, and so on.

It's a bit of an existential terror for me and I'd be willing to bet I'm not alone in this. Any hub that can aggregate events related to this issue and promote action toward adapting to new challenges is going to get a lot of attention.

My $0.02.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Kaneda's post
12-03-2017, 07:23 PM
RE: Anyone Thought of Starting a Climate Change Section?
I don't think it needs an entire section, maybe a dedicated thread.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 3 users Like JDog554's post
12-03-2017, 07:24 PM
(12-03-2017 07:21 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  The issue is getting more and more public attention, and I think that given the breadth of challenges this climate change is expected to bring in the next few decades, the topic deserves it's own category.

Let's be honest; we're long past the point of trying to "prevent" disaster and it's becoming more apparent that climate change is getting to be an intractable part of life. We need to focus on facing and adapting to a vast range of issues coming down the pipe, from challenges to existing infrastructure, to agricultural changes, to public health, and so on.

It's a bit of an existential terror for me and I'd be willing to bet I'm not alone in this. Any hub that can aggregate events related to this issue and promote action toward adapting to new challenges is going to get a lot of attention.

My $0.02.

I'm not sure about a whole section, but I'm certainly not opposed to threads about it. I also think a proactive thread about what changes people can make to help the environment would be sticky worthy for that section.

if interest is incredibly high, I'd consider a sub-section. Cool

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-03-2017, 07:32 PM
I think it's a good idea. Partially to make a statement about the significance of the issue.
12-03-2017, 07:34 PM
(12-03-2017 07:32 PM)ImFred Wrote:  I think it's a good idea. Partially to make a statement about the significance of the issue.

But it's not a particularly good statement if it's not well used.

If that subject does overtake the science section, then there's a discussion to be had.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Well can you give a penny back on my two cents, please?
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
12-03-2017, 08:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 08:03 PM by Kaneda.)
(12-03-2017 07:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm not sure about a whole section, but I'm certainly not opposed to threads about it. I also think a proactive thread about what changes people can make to help the environment would be sticky worthy for that section.

I'd actually be down to see a sticky-section about being proactive on climate, provided we emphasize the 'proactive' part. Last thing I want to see is unfocused general Climate Change sub devolving into a den of learned helplessness and misery like a lot of the threads I've seen on reddit.

My $0.02 plus interest.

[+] 2 users Like Kaneda's post
12-03-2017, 08:24 PM
(12-03-2017 08:00 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 07:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm not sure about a whole section, but I'm certainly not opposed to threads about it. I also think a proactive thread about what changes people can make to help the environment would be sticky worthy for that section.

I'd actually be down to see a sticky-section about being proactive on climate, provided we emphasize the 'proactive' part. Last thing I want to see is unfocused general Climate Change sub devolving into a den of learned helplessness and misery like a lot of the threads I've seen on reddit.

My $0.02 plus interest.

Go ahead and begin a thread like that. If there are issues with people going too far off topic, (like deniers) shoot a pm to a moderator. they'll decide if they want to issue a public warning, a private one, or split the thread...or any combination thereof.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-03-2017, 08:26 PM
(12-03-2017 08:00 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  

My $0.02 plus interest.

$0.02 plus interest? You are investing a lot of money into this.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
12-03-2017, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2017 09:45 PM by Kaneda.)
(12-03-2017 08:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Go ahead and begin a thread like that. If there are issues with people going too far off topic, (like deniers) shoot a pm to a moderator. they'll decide if they want to issue a public warning, a private one, or split the thread...or any combination thereof.

I'd be willing to do it, but I can't promise I'd be around to moderate it on a consistent basis. My job has me on a pretty tight leash.