Anyone Thought of Starting a Climate Change Section?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2017, 10:22 PM
RE: Anyone Thought of Starting a Climate Change Section?
(12-03-2017 09:38 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 08:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Go ahead and begin a thread like that. If there are issues with people going too far off topic, (like deniers) shoot a pm to a moderator. they'll decide if they want to issue a public warning, a private one, or split the thread...or any combination thereof.

I'd be willing to do it, but I can't promise I'd be around to moderate it on a consistent basis. My job has me on a pretty tight leash.

You wouldn't moderate it, a moderator would.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
13-03-2017, 09:06 AM
(12-03-2017 07:21 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  The issue is getting more and more public attention, and I think that given the breadth of challenges this climate change is expected to bring in the next few decades, the topic deserves it's own category.

I can certainly see where you're coming from with this suggestion, but I don't like to see specific categories set up for the promotion and/or debate of an issue that's inevitably going to attract diametrically opposed and fractious opinion from each of the two "sides".

I much prefer—if anything at all's deemed necessary—a "sticky" thread in the "Science" forum.

—My AU$02.7¢

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
13-03-2017, 10:21 AM
(12-03-2017 07:21 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  The issue is getting more and more public attention, and I think that given the breadth of challenges this climate change is expected to bring in the next few decades, the topic deserves it's own category.

I personally don't care where anyone puts it, but I would very much like to see a climate change discussion in this forum. So many intelligent and well-read people post here that it should be very engaging and informative. I will be happy to contribute bits from my own reading.

For instance, I saw this just today on Donald Trump's war against the the climate:
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arch...ns/519159/
13-03-2017, 10:53 AM
(12-03-2017 09:38 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 08:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Go ahead and begin a thread like that. If there are issues with people going too far off topic, (like deniers) shoot a pm to a moderator. they'll decide if they want to issue a public warning, a private one, or split the thread...or any combination thereof.

I'd be willing to do it, but I can't promise I'd be around to moderate it on a consistent basis. My job has me on a pretty tight leash.

You do the writing, we do the moderating.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-03-2017, 11:27 AM
(13-03-2017 10:21 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  For instance, I saw this just today on Donald Trump's war against the the climate:

I think it's less about Trump's war on climate than it is Bannon's war against the administrative structure of government in general. Remember, Trump is just a tool of Bannon and the alt-right.

He - Bannon - has made it abundantly clear that government is the enemy and he wants it to crumble.

Source: Steve Bannon Says Trump’s Cabinet Picks Are Intended to ‘Deconstruct’ Regulation and Agencies

Bannon even described himself as a Leninist.

Quote:(Lenin) wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
13-03-2017, 11:33 AM
(13-03-2017 11:27 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I think it's less about Trump's war on climate than it is Bannon's war against the administrative structure of government in general.

The Trump administration is even trying to disrupt efforts against climate change on the state level, according to the article.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
13-03-2017, 12:20 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2017 01:34 PM by Kaneda.)
Alright then, I'm all in to start a General Purpose Climate Change Thread. There are a lot of concerned citizens here who would benefit from seeing the issue get continued attention as well as get exposed to what other people are doing to help, especially under Orange Fatass.

(13-03-2017 10:21 AM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  For instance, I saw this just today on Donald Trump's war against the the climate:

Such a sick man. Anyway, I can start the General Thread today or tomorrow. To reiterate, I would hope to make it so it would strike a balance in content between personal climate observations and general activism. Does any seasoned poster/moderator have suggestions for how I can frame the conversation to make it stick right out of the gate?

“Until you make the unconscious
conscious, it will direct your life and you will
call it fate.”― C.G. Jung
13-03-2017, 03:24 PM
(13-03-2017 12:20 PM)Kaneda Wrote:  To reiterate, I would hope to make it so it would strike a balance in content between personal climate observations and general activism. Does any seasoned poster/moderator have suggestions for how I can frame the conversation to make it stick right out of the gate?

No matter how you try to frame it, you will likely find that people will take the conversation in all sorts of odd directions. It might be best to just call the discussion "Climate Change" and see where it goes from there. Hopefully you will find enough interest to sustain it.
13-03-2017, 03:34 PM
(13-03-2017 11:27 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  He - Bannon - has made it abundantly clear that government is the enemy and he wants it to crumble.

Beyond a point, there's a real question whether Bannon's efforts are in fact treasonous. If Trump is stopped at all, it will be because people finally realize he is an enemy of our government -- a government we have spent huge amounts of time and money to create for very good reasons.

If people don't realize what we have until we are threatened with its loss, now is a great time for us all to come to our senses.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post