Anyone a closet atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2014, 07:18 PM
RE: Anyone a closet atheist?
I'm sort of a closet atheist...
Meaning I tell most friends, but not much family. Pretty sure I'd be disowned...

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
13-01-2014, 07:23 PM
(13-01-2014 07:13 PM)truthBtold Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 07:06 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Mostly closeted. There are a few friends I've told, and a couple of my in-laws. Really, it's my family that I'm scared to death of finding out. I have no idea how bad my mother's reaction would be, and I'd rather her not. At least not yet, time will tell what the future holds.

If ur old enuff to get kicked out of the house... then yes tell everyone

No need to start an uproar at this point in time. My wife is the only one who could kick me out of my house, but she's an atheist too so I don't see that being a problem. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
13-01-2014, 08:35 PM
(13-01-2014 06:57 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I've been laughing at religious folk since I was about 12... I can't imagine what it must be like to tiptoe around conversations, and hide your more reasoned side. Hope everyone who's still undercover gets out eventually.

I had already been indoctrinated for 12 years by the time I was 12 years old, so I envy your skepticism at such a young age Weeping

Yep, still undercover for me. Honestly, my own husband doesn't even know No
I stopped going to church and started reading and doing some thinking early march of 2013. I guess I still want to give myself just a little more time before I start dropping hints. It's starting to come out way too naturally though! At Christmas time my husband (who is not particularly religious) told our daughter "It's Jesus' birthday!" I said "No it's not" and my husband gave me the weirdest look.

It sucks.
13-01-2014, 09:23 PM
Ironically, I come from a loooooooong line of ministers and missionaries. The family endowed a Chair of Religious Studies at a college, and every year I get a letter from the current professor, detailing how much he thanks us and what he's done all year. His activities are usually attending seminars, conferring with other religious leaders, blah blah blah - worthless to anyone but him activities. One of these days I'm going to tell him off for real, instead of in my imagination.

Makes me want to scream.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
13-01-2014, 09:45 PM
I'm a little confused. How exactly does one try atheism?
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
13-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Yep, I am. It can be irritating at times, but I was taught that you don't argue with someone about religion and I have no desire to argue with my family.
13-01-2014, 10:02 PM
I always tell people what I am and what I do and dont believe in.

If I wouldnt do so, I would feel ashamed and like a spineless coward.

I really despise opportunism.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Germans are coming's post
13-01-2014, 10:05 PM
(13-01-2014 10:02 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I always tell people what I am and what I do and dont believe in.

If I wouldnt do so, I would feel ashamed and like a spineless coward.

I really despise opportunism.

Well that is a lot easier to say when you live in a country that being an out atheist wouldn't cost you your job and get you run out of town.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-01-2014, 10:12 PM
(13-01-2014 10:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well that is a lot easier to say when you live in a country that being an out atheist wouldn't cost you your job and get you run out of town.

I grew up in conservative catholic Austria. When people noticed that I was an atheist they started spreading rumors that I was selling drugs and doing other stuff.

My mother then tried to make me go back to church again to "restore the families image".

One thing alot of Americans dont know about Europe is that it is not all that progressive and tolerant.

It is splitt between a progressive North that is Protestant, Atheist and Agnostic and a conservative South that is catholic and backwards.

Although technicaly speaking Ireland and Poland are not in the North.

To show what this is like: In Britain the conservative government legalised gay marriege, in Germany there are homosexual representatives of the conservative party in parlaiment, in the Netherlands you can smoke as much pot as you want without getting into legal trouble.

Whilest:

In Spain the conservative party denies climate change and fights the seperation of church and state, in Poland the conservatives are sometimes even openly antisemetic, in Austria some conservatives even demand a "special tax" for non catholics and in Ireland abortion is still illegal.

Yeah, we have alot of right wing crazies here in Europe.

The difference between the American right wing crazies and the European right wing crazies is the our right wing crazies main political goal is to win World War 2.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
14-01-2014, 03:15 PM
(13-01-2014 07:04 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 06:37 PM)Baruch Wrote:  ... on the rooftop !

Gotta ask... Can you play the fiddle?

Smile

Heretic on the rooftop - that's me !!!

[Image: Fiddler3.jpg]

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post