Anyone a closet atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2014, 03:25 PM
RE: Anyone a closet atheist?
'crazylikeyou'

Quote:Yep, still undercover for me. Honestly, my own husband doesn't even know No
I stopped going to church and started reading and doing some thinking early march of 2013. I guess I still want to give myself just a little more time before I start dropping hints. It's starting to come out way too naturally though! At Christmas time my husband (who is not particularly religious) told our daughter "It's Jesus' birthday!" I said "No it's not" and my husband gave me the weirdest look.

It sucks.

Crazy- at least your now thinking ! Wow. What a challenge Smartass
I can relate to much of what you say and as I wrote in my post on this thread it took a few years for my family to realize I was an apostate heretic. Recall I was an orthodox Jewish teacher - used to give lectures in theology, intelligent design and think I could "handle those misguided atheists"

The best approach is not to necessarily be confrontational - especially with partners and ones children but ask questions rhetorically in a Socratic inquisitively innocent way - which implies a challenge but doesn't actually say "the jesus thing is just bollocks".....

Then again if you follow my advice you might end up like Socrates. Oh dear - keep away from the hemlock. Drinking BeverageDrooling
[Image: Death-of-Socrates-David-006.jpg]

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2014, 03:40 PM
A small handful of my friends and family know. I haven't told my wife, but I've left my Kindle out and she's scrolled through it a few times. She has to at least suspect! But I still support her desire to go to church and I go with her often (our two boys are 4 and 2, and impossible for her to handle on her own). We haven't discussed it openly though.

We did have a nice talk once about how so much of the Old Testament is clearly a myth (Genesis, in particular). I haven't quite gotten around to blowing up Exodus yet. I figure if I handle one thing at a time, delicately, she'll see where I'm coming from.

Becoming an atheist was a long, gradual process for me. I wouldn't want to dump it all on her at once.
14-01-2014, 03:48 PM
what's with Socrates finger pointing upwards ?
what's he saying ?

Socrates: whatever your thinking is up there must be bollocks - Ill prove it by drinking the hemlock.

Surrounding folks: But its God, and you will surely die if you dring the hemlock.

Socrates: How do you know its God ? How do you know I will die ?

Surrounding folks: Drink it and we will have evidence you will die ?

Socrates: Yeh, but will you have evidence for God ?

Surrounding folks: Just drink the God damn hemlock !

Socrates: Your now evading the question !!! How will you have evidence for God ?

Surrounding folks: All you do is ask questions ! Why don't you just drink the hemlock NOW !

Socrates: One day in the future there will be a wise man who will ask "to be or not to be - that is the question ! "

Surrounding folks: We have answered the question Socrates - Don't be, just drink the hemlock because your corrupting the youth.

Socrates: Then there will be another wise man in the future who will ask "Is God dead" ?

Surrounding folks: We are asking - will Socrates be dead ?

Socrates: Then another wise man will pronounce "I think therefore I am"

Surrounding folks: You don't need to worry about that problem Socrates after you drink the hemlock !!! Drink it now and be not !

Socrates: So should I make the greatest sacrifice now, the sacrifice for the truth ! The sacrifice for our youth ! The sacrifice for the sake of reason ! The ultimate sacrifice of being !

Surrounding folks: YES !

Socrates: You do know I will survive in the hearts and minds of all future thinkers ! They will ask "Why did Socrates do this" ?

Surrounding folks: That's right, so start drinking, all we hear is you talk talk talk everyday and keep asking questions treating us like we are ignorant foolish idiots and don't have a clue about anything from God to democracy.

Socrates: But how do you know you are not fools who don't know anything about justice, democracy and God ?

Surrounding folks: .....silence. Really angry faces.AngryAngryAngry

Socrates drinks the hemlock.....and dies.

[Image: Death-of-Socrates-David-006.jpg]

David Hume

[+] 2 users Like Baruch's post
14-01-2014, 03:48 PM
(14-01-2014 03:40 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  A small handful of my friends and family know. I haven't told my wife, but I've left my Kindle out and she's scrolled through it a few times. She has to at least suspect! But I still support her desire to go to church and I go with her often (our two boys are 4 and 2, and impossible for her to handle on her own). We haven't discussed it openly though.

We did have a nice talk once about how so much of the Old Testament is clearly a myth (Genesis, in particular). I haven't quite gotten around to blowing up Exodus yet. I figure if I handle one thing at a time, delicately, she'll see where I'm coming from.

Becoming an atheist was a long, gradual process for me. I wouldn't want to dump it all on her at once.

How do you sit thru church? not sure I could do that. I would be face palming and grumbling. I can keep quiet about it and be passive but only for so long and then I would be finding excuses not to go.

My husband is a believer, but he's a lazy Christian. Never goes to church, quickly dropped prayer at mealtime, doesn't read any christian 'woo' or quote any stories. I think he's just been brainwashed pretty hard by my in-laws his whole life that he finds it too scary not to believe. Since he is so lazy in it, I don't feel the need to make it an issue (because it rarely comes up in daily life). I try to use Socratic methods with the kids, and I let him question his own beliefs.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-01-2014, 05:00 PM
(13-01-2014 09:45 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I'm a little confused. How exactly does one try atheism?

The same thought crossed my mind.
14-01-2014, 05:40 PM
(14-01-2014 03:48 PM)Baruch Wrote:  what's with Socrates finger pointing upwards ?
what's he saying ?

A thought occurs...

Socrates was Jewish?

14-01-2014, 07:02 PM
(14-01-2014 05:00 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(13-01-2014 09:45 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I'm a little confused. How exactly does one try atheism?

The same thought crossed my mind.

Honestly, I think it's a poor choice of words. I like calling it the outsider's test of faith (not my choice of words either, I stole it), and it's simply taking an extremely honest look at one's belief. I don't think that most people of faith have the cojones to give it an honest shot.

It's looking at your faith from the complete objective viewpoint of someone who doesn't believe what you believe. It's essentially what I did without knowing it. I decided to take both sides of the argument, the best I could find against my faith vs. the best I could find for it.

In the end if I was truly honest with myself I had to admit that on evidence alone, the case for "atheism" stacked up 100% against my faith. That's a hard pill to swallow, but testing everything I believed against what an outsider to my faith would see let me take my whole worldview and turn it upside down.

I don't like the term "trying on atheism" either, but I understand where it's coming from. At least that's my view.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
14-01-2014, 07:08 PM
(14-01-2014 07:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 05:00 PM)TheBear Wrote:  The same thought crossed my mind.

Honestly, I think it's a poor choice of words. I like calling it the outsider's test of faith (not my choice of words either, I stole it), and it's simply taking an extremely honest look at one's belief. I don't think that most people of faith have the cojones to give it an honest shot.

It's looking at your faith from the complete objective viewpoint of someone who doesn't believe what you believe. It's essentially what I did without knowing it. I decided to take both sides of the argument, the best I could find against my faith vs. the best I could find for it.

In the end if I was truly honest with myself I had to admit that on evidence alone, the case for "atheism" stacked up 100% against my faith. That's a hard pill to swallow, but testing everything I believed against what an outsider to my faith would see let me take my whole worldview and turn it upside down.

I don't like the term "trying on atheism" either, but I understand where it's coming from. At least that's my view.

I am a little skeptical that this was just an attention grab (The Pastor who was an atheist for a year now signing books in the lobby) but if he is sincere then all the best to him.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-01-2014, 07:09 PM
(14-01-2014 07:08 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 07:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Honestly, I think it's a poor choice of words. I like calling it the outsider's test of faith (not my choice of words either, I stole it), and it's simply taking an extremely honest look at one's belief. I don't think that most people of faith have the cojones to give it an honest shot.

I am a little skeptical that this was just an attention grab (The Pastor who was an atheist for a year now signing books in the lobby) but if he is sincere then all the best to him.

Yeah, I pretty much said the same thing in another thread. (where was this mentioned in this one? I must have missed it even though I looked)

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
14-01-2014, 07:37 PM
(14-01-2014 05:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 03:48 PM)Baruch Wrote:  what's with Socrates finger pointing upwards ?
what's he saying ?

A thought occurs...

Socrates was Jewish?

If Socrates was jewish he wouldn't have drunk hemlock but have been tortured to death. Jews get extra special treatment, something like stripping of the skin whilst alive. Socrates got it easy in comparison by enjoying some tea whilst debating.

David Hume

[+] 1 user Likes Baruch's post