Anyone a closet atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2014, 08:30 PM
RE: Anyone a closet atheist?
Hope you all don't mind me dropping in. I was just reading some of your posts and I understand more and more each day as to why people are atheist. I am a Christian believer and proud of it.. BUT !!!!! there are a great deal of so called "Christians" that I would not give a plug nickel to.. Now if your friends and neighbors (and spouses) were "truly Christians" they would not harp on you for being an atheist. In fact, true believers are supposed to love one another as they would love themselves. "Please, don't twist this around" thank you. In fact the Scriptures state that if a believer spouse knows and is happy with the other being an atheist then more power to them. seriously,, we can all get a long and respect each others belief. I have friends that I converse with that are atheist, Mormons and what ever. We even discuss our beliefs with each other and all agree to just disagree, then we go about and go fishing.Smile So, go ahead and tell them you are an atheist and if they can't take it, then they were not your "true" friends to begin with. Again, I do not wish to aggravate anyone, so please accept my apologies if I did.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Seacaptain58's post
14-01-2014, 09:20 PM
(14-01-2014 08:30 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  Hope you all don't mind me dropping in. I was just reading some of your posts and I understand more and more each day as to why people are atheist. I am a Christian believer and proud of it.. BUT !!!!! there are a great deal of so called "Christians" that I would not give a plug nickel to.. Now if your friends and neighbors (and spouses) were "truly Christians" they would not harp on you for being an atheist. In fact, true believers are supposed to love one another as they would love themselves. "Please, don't twist this around" thank you. In fact the Scriptures state that if a believer spouse knows and is happy with the other being an atheist then more power to them. seriously,, we can all get a long and respect each others belief. I have friends that I converse with that are atheist, Mormons and what ever. We even discuss our beliefs with each other and all agree to just disagree, then we go about and go fishing.Smile So, go ahead and tell them you are an atheist and if they can't take it, then they were not your "true" friends to begin with. Again, I do not wish to aggravate anyone, so please accept my apologies if I did.

Come a little closer so I can smack you upside your head with a clue-by-four. We're not only talking about losing a few false friends. In this neck of the woods I would very well be run off the road or have my house burned down if I were to come out. There is no "agree to disagree" in some places, or in some families, and no shake hands and go fishing. Stop making it sound as though it's just a common cold that will go away with a couple doses of Alka Seltzer.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
14-01-2014, 10:34 PM
(14-01-2014 08:30 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  . We even discuss our beliefs with each other and all agree to just disagree, then we go about and go fishing.Smile

that would be ideal, but very far from reality for many people here.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-01-2014, 10:46 PM
(14-01-2014 08:30 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  Hope you all don't mind me dropping in.
BUT !!!!! there are a great deal of so called "Christians" that I would not give a plug nickel to.. Now if your friends and neighbors (and spouses) were "truly Christians"

We don't mind at all. All are welcome.

But around these parts, that's called the 'no true Scotsman fallacy'.

(14-01-2014 08:30 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  seriously,, we can all get a long and respect each others belief.

Acknowledge ... Yes
Tolerate .... Yes
Defend your right to hold a belief ... Yes

Respect... No.

Sorry.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
14-01-2014, 11:35 PM
(14-01-2014 08:30 PM)Seacaptain58 Wrote:  Hope you all don't mind me dropping in. I was just reading some of your posts and I understand more and more each day as to why people are atheist. I am a Christian believer and proud of it.. BUT !!!!! there are a great deal of so called "Christians" that I would not give a plug nickel to.. Now if your friends and neighbors (and spouses) were "truly Christians" they would not harp on you for being an atheist. In fact, true believers are supposed to love one another as they would love themselves. "Please, don't twist this around" thank you. In fact the Scriptures state that if a believer spouse knows and is happy with the other being an atheist then more power to them. seriously,, we can all get a long and respect each others belief. I have friends that I converse with that are atheist, Mormons and what ever. We even discuss our beliefs with each other and all agree to just disagree, then we go about and go fishing.Smile So, go ahead and tell them you are an atheist and if they can't take it, then they were not your "true" friends to begin with. Again, I do not wish to aggravate anyone, so please accept my apologies if I did.

Hey, no aggravation here. But you have to understand that it's not just a simple misunderstanding among friends when it comes to religious dissent. If you haven't noticed, the entire world is at arms with each other when it comes to defending one's "opinion" on the concept of our creator and how we need to hate each other because of it.

If it were as simple as fishing after a conversation, then nuclear bombs wouldn't exist. Neither would many of the torture devices used in the dark ages. Neither would so much of the racism and bigotry that is so ever present in our headlines today.

So while we may agree with you on how humanity should work, excuse us while we lament the way it does.

Kudos to you for being a loving person. I do mean that.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
15-01-2014, 02:45 AM
(13-01-2014 04:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yep...tied up, gagged too. Sad.

Hmmm...why am I aroused?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 2 users Like BlackMason's post
15-01-2014, 07:14 AM
I sort of came out the closet but I was forced back in. I told my mom that I don't believe that shit. We argued and a few weeks later it was like nothing had happened for her.

Last week we were driving with a family friend and he said he'd just got baptised. I wanted to hurl myself out the car because I knew what was coming next. My mom says, "You see? You could've been baptised already. Your selvation isn't complete without getting in the water. Even Jesus did it."

So I play the role of good little Jesus boy with a side dish of healthy skepticism. My cousin's made has been put off by my skepticism. She suspects that I don't believe in "the mighty one". She's always like, "BMason is stupid because he believes in science." or "You're still young and you'll see that demons really do exist!" That was a conversation we had yesterday.

Bear in mind that this is the same woman that told me there are people in the sea. There are houses and everything we have here on dry land. When I asked if a documentary crew went down there and grabbed some footage, she replied with "It's spiritual". Only the ones with the gift can see that underwater world.

I'm undercover atheist but I play devils advocate a lot for my own sanity.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post
15-01-2014, 07:18 AM
(15-01-2014 07:14 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  I sort of came out the closet but I was forced back in. I told my mom that I don't believe that shit. We argued and a few weeks later it was like nothing had happened for her.

Last week we were driving with a family friend and he said he'd just got baptised. I wanted to hurl myself out the car because I knew what was coming next. My mom says, "You see? You could've been baptised already. Your selvation isn't complete without getting in the water. Even Jesus did it."

So I play the role of good little Jesus boy with a side dish of healthy skepticism. My cousin's made has been put off by my skepticism. She suspects that I don't believe in "the mighty one". She's always like, "BMason is stupid because he believes in science." or "You're still young and you'll see that demons really do exist!" That was a conversation we had yesterday.

Bear in mind that this is the same woman that told me there are people in the sea. There are houses and everything we have here on dry land. When I asked if a documentary crew went down there and grabbed some footage, she replied with "It's spiritual". Only the ones with the gift can see that underwater world.

I'm undercover atheist but I play devils advocate a lot for my own sanity.

It's been filmed already! SPONGEBOB .... HELLO Big Grin

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
15-01-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm not closeted, but it's not something that I talk about much with religious folk. I grew up Christian. All of my immediate family is Christian, as are my wife and her parents. I have several cousins with whom I'm close who aren't Christian, and both of my wife's sisters (and their husbands) are not religious. I also have a co-worker who I see both in and out of work who is atheist.

So, all of my immediate family members know I'm not Christian, and it's something we just don't really talk about. They don't try to talk me back into it, and I don't try to talk them out of it. I haven't officially brought it up to other family members, but it's mostly out of the issue not coming up rather than me hiding it. As for my wife and me, we don't talk about it much. I know it bothers her, but she knows she can't really try to force it on me. At least she's the variety of Christian who doesn't believe in hell. So far as I know, she thinks I'll end up in heaven when I die, and I'll have a bit of egg on my face at first when I realize I was wrong.

I kind of turned my cousins and sister-in-laws into a bit of a support group of sorts. Not in the sense that I'm feeling ostracized, but more in that it's just nice to be able to talk about it to people face to face once in a while.

I have to say, I am really glad that I don't feel the need to hide it.
23-01-2014, 12:46 PM
Yes I am. It took me years to finally accept what I knew to be true and discard religion. I have yet to have the discussion with any of my family, who are all extreemly religious and extreemly catholic. If I were to present this to them I fear the reaction would be sever including a divorce from my wife and possible shunning from my family. Right now I appear as an extreemly disgruntled catholic, but it goes much deeper than that.