Anyone a nurse (or in medicine)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Anyone a nurse (or in medicine)
I just had a question.... mainly as I am attempting to get into a nursing program (I am registered for a class right now--it's all that's needed apparently for the CNA part which is required for consideration for the ranking for the RN part).... and I was mainly wondering if the concept of religion is ever brought up.

I can see it being brought up in a "you must tolerate and not preach to people" type of way, but I thought I'd ask. Also, if it is brought up, even if in the way I listed just then--what do you do/say about the atheist thing?

And yes, I'm a male, potentially going into nursing... I know it's "rare" but thought I'd mention that. Basically, I know that if it works out, one of the teachers I would have to have does not believe men should be in nursing, and all-but intentionally fails them outright. So I'd have enough of a problem as it is just by gender things.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2012, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2012 02:39 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Anyone a nurse (or in medicine)
(02-08-2012 02:09 PM)elemts Wrote:  I just had a question.... mainly as I am attempting to get into a nursing program (I am registered for a class right now--it's all that's needed apparently for the CNA part which is required for consideration for the ranking for the RN part).... and I was mainly wondering if the concept of religion is ever brought up.

I can see it being brought up in a "you must tolerate and not preach to people" type of way, but I thought I'd ask. Also, if it is brought up, even if in the way I listed just then--what do you do/say about the atheist thing?

And yes, I'm a male, potentially going into nursing... I know it's "rare" but thought I'd mention that. Basically, I know that if it works out, one of the teachers I would have to have does not believe men should be in nursing, and all-but intentionally fails them outright. So I'd have enough of a problem as it is just by gender things.

I may depend on where you live. Many nursing programs have many, many men ... it's not even an issue in CA anymore. Lots of guys like Critical Care, or other specialty stuff, (like being flight nurses), but no more than women. Never heard, in a public program, that religion was brought up.

Some of my great aunt's class, actually had to stand at the end of the hall, many many years ago, and sing hymns, as student nurses. Haha. Those days are gone forever.

It's a really great field, as there are SO many things to do..if you really don't want to be a regular floor nurse. When and if Egor comes back, he is a very very experienced nurse. Most hospitals have chaplains, but as far as I know, the question is always asked, "do you wish the/a chaplain to stop by ?"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
02-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Forum member Clint Barnett is currently in a nursing program... as is his wife. He might have some personal insight for you. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
02-08-2012, 02:35 PM
I work at a nursing school.

Religion and politics are to be avoided as a conversational piece with patients. Of course, patients can bring it up to you, so you must learn how to either lie about what you believe or tactfully explain to them what you believe or change the subject.

Basically it comes down to you should never bring it up; however, you need to know how to handle it if a patient mentions it.

*side note
Is it a hospital school or a for profit college? Hospitals can be founded as religious; therefore, they have the right to express their religion to their students. If it's a simple for profit college, then no, no religion can be expressed.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
02-08-2012, 02:50 PM
(02-08-2012 02:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I work at a nursing school.

Religion and politics are to be avoided as a conversational piece with patients. Of course, patients can bring it up to you, so you must learn how to either lie about what you believe or tactfully explain to them what you believe or change the subject.

Basically it comes down to you should never bring it up; however, you need to know how to handle it if a patient mentions it.

*side note
Is it a hospital school or a for profit college? Hospitals can be founded as religious; therefore, they have the right to express their religion to their students. If it's a simple for profit college, then no, no religion can be expressed.

The program's just at a 2-year community college (people go there, then if hired go for a BSN as the hospitals are allowing like 5 years to get it currently once hired--although I heard it may just be a 2017 you have to have it as well). No religious affiliation, nor is there one with the hospitals that I know of that "labs" would be at.
So shy of a patient saying something like "do you pray? would you pray for me?" I wouldn't think it would ever come up--but then that's why I asked Smile I wasn't sure if for some reason a program or class might bring it up or something as part of it.

I wouldn't think so, but then I also didn't think a local group designed for promoting business (chamber of commerce) would start meetings with a christian prayer either.
02-08-2012, 02:54 PM
(02-08-2012 02:50 PM)elemts Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 02:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I work at a nursing school.

*side note

The program's just at a 2-year community college (people go there, then if hired go for a BSN as the hospitals are allowing like 5 years to get it currently once hired--although I heard it may just be a 2017 you have to have it as well). No religious affiliation, nor is there one with the hospitals that I know of that "labs" would be at.
So shy of a patient saying something like "do you pray? would you pray for me?" I wouldn't think it would ever come up--but then that's why I asked Smile I wasn't sure if for some reason a program or class might bring it up or something as part of it.

I wouldn't think so, but then I also didn't think a local group designed for promoting business (chamber of commerce) would start meetings with a christian prayer either.

Yeah, you pretty much nailed it.

Being at a CC, I can't see them having any religion whatsoever. So, I think you're safe.

As far as opening with prayer, this is more of a regional thing... it happens in the Southern US.

02-08-2012, 02:58 PM
(02-08-2012 02:50 PM)elemts Wrote:  The program's just at a 2-year community college (people go there, then if hired go for a BSN as the hospitals are allowing like 5 years to get it currently once hired--although I heard it may just be a 2017 you have to have it as well). No religious affiliation, nor is there one with the hospitals that I know of that "labs" would be at.

The Com College is a really great way to go. You will make good money when you're out, and so many options, and it's not expensive. The subject may come up, in a "hospice", or "end of life" type rotation, with those kinds of patients, but you will be taught to be a good "listener".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

02-08-2012, 03:00 PM
(02-08-2012 02:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 02:50 PM)elemts Wrote:  The program's just at a 2-year community college (people go there, then if hired go for a BSN as the hospitals are allowing like 5 years to get it currently once hired--although I heard it may just be a 2017 you have to have it as well). No religious affiliation, nor is there one with the hospitals that I know of that "labs" would be at.

The Com College is a really great way to go. You will make good money when you're out, and so many options, and it's not expensive. The subject may come up, in a "hospice", or "end of life" type rotation, with those kinds of patients, but you will be taught to be a good "listener".

Or say neutral things like, "I'll remember you in my thoughts."

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
02-08-2012, 03:04 PM
(02-08-2012 02:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The Com College is a really great way to go. You will make good money when you're out, and so many options, and it's not expensive. The subject may come up, in a "hospice", or "end of life" type rotation, with those kinds of patients, but you will be taught to be a good "listener".

Sadly the "cheap" route costs about $14,000 (considering I have loans for my masters in psychology that cost me 40K.....). But yeah, it's still much cheaper than other programs around. Really probably about $2K of the expenses aren't related to the classes (background checks, state-based tests for certification, outfit, required things). Probably $500-750 is the college nickel-and-diming people to death (parking fee, use of classroom fee, technology fee--then the nursing related fees). Then textbooks.... but yeah, still cheaper than other ways--plus probably most of the nurses in the area went there.

And the one thing is, the area is constantly looking for CNA people.... so I was hoping that maybe I could leave hell (my current workplace) and then spend time working in the field--as at least they might be more willing to work with the classes than not. But for now, it's just a single class. Waiting.... having to plan for tests, etc.
02-08-2012, 03:05 PM
(02-08-2012 03:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 02:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The Com College is a really great way to go. You will make good money when you're out, and so many options, and it's not expensive. The subject may come up, in a "hospice", or "end of life" type rotation, with those kinds of patients, but you will be taught to be a good "listener".

Or say neutral things like, "I'll remember you in my thoughts."

If my nurse said to me "I'll remember you in my thoughts", I would say, "duh".
Then they would probably decide to change my meds. Tongue