Anyone a nurse (or in medicine)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2012, 03:07 PM
RE: Anyone a nurse (or in medicine)
(02-08-2012 03:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 02:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The Com College is a really great way to go. You will make good money when you're out, and so many options, and it's not expensive. The subject may come up, in a "hospice", or "end of life" type rotation, with those kinds of patients, but you will be taught to be a good "listener".

Or say neutral things like, "I'll remember you in my thoughts."

And that has the benefit of being true--they would be.... as you're doing paperwork, checking charts, whatever (depending on the role at the place).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2012, 03:09 PM
(02-08-2012 03:04 PM)elemts Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 02:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The Com College is a really great way to go. You will make good money when you're out, and so many options, and it's not expensive. The subject may come up, in a "hospice", or "end of life" type rotation, with those kinds of patients, but you will be taught to be a good "listener".

Sadly the "cheap" route costs about $14,000 (considering I have loans for my masters in psychology that cost me 40K.....). But yeah, it's still much cheaper than other programs around. Really probably about $2K of the expenses aren't related to the classes (background checks, state-based tests for certification, outfit, required things). Probably $500-750 is the college nickel-and-diming people to death (parking fee, use of classroom fee, technology fee--then the nursing related fees). Then textbooks.... but yeah, still cheaper than other ways--plus probably most of the nurses in the area went there.

And the one thing is, the area is constantly looking for CNA people.... so I was hoping that maybe I could leave hell (my current workplace) and then spend time working in the field--as at least they might be more willing to work with the classes than not. But for now, it's just a single class. Waiting.... having to plan for tests, etc.

A CNA cert is no better than toilet paper... seriously. If it wasn't part of your program, I would tell you to forgo it and go straight to LPN and then to RN.

CNAs make between 7-9 an hour. MAs make about 8-9.50... maybe 10.

LPNs will start out at around 13-15... with way more potential. With CNA and MA you're pretty much stuck.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
02-08-2012, 03:16 PM
(02-08-2012 03:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 03:04 PM)elemts Wrote:  Sadly the "cheap" route costs about $14,000 (considering I have loans for my masters in psychology that cost me 40K.....). But yeah, it's still much cheaper than other programs around. Really probably about $2K of the expenses aren't related to the classes (background checks, state-based tests for certification, outfit, required things). Probably $500-750 is the college nickel-and-diming people to death (parking fee, use of classroom fee, technology fee--then the nursing related fees). Then textbooks.... but yeah, still cheaper than other ways--plus probably most of the nurses in the area went there.

And the one thing is, the area is constantly looking for CNA people.... so I was hoping that maybe I could leave hell (my current workplace) and then spend time working in the field--as at least they might be more willing to work with the classes than not. But for now, it's just a single class. Waiting.... having to plan for tests, etc.

A CNA cert is no better than toilet paper... seriously. If it wasn't part of your program, I would tell you to forgo it and go straight to LPN and then to RN.

LPNs will start out at around 13-15... with way more potential. With CNA and MA you're pretty much stuck.

Totally agree. Do LPN, in as short a time as possible. Then LPN->RN online, if possible. The sky's the limit from there.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

02-08-2012, 03:19 PM
(02-08-2012 03:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 03:04 PM)elemts Wrote:  Sadly the "cheap" route costs about $14,000 (considering I have loans for my masters in psychology that cost me 40K.....). But yeah, it's still much cheaper than other programs around. Really probably about $2K of the expenses aren't related to the classes (background checks, state-based tests for certification, outfit, required things). Probably $500-750 is the college nickel-and-diming people to death (parking fee, use of classroom fee, technology fee--then the nursing related fees). Then textbooks.... but yeah, still cheaper than other ways--plus probably most of the nurses in the area went there.

They make about $8.50-10 in my area, but yeah, not that great of pay. Sad thing is, I only make about $10.50/hr right now (after union dues are removed) in my current job. Which really irritates me given my experience and education, since they won't promote me to a job that they say is "under me" that pays $17.50/hr. The only good thing is, there's almost always a need for CNA people (and RN's) in my area.
02-08-2012, 03:25 PM
(02-08-2012 03:19 PM)elemts Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 03:09 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  A CNA cert is no better than toilet paper... seriously. If it wasn't part of your program, I would tell you to forgo it and go straight to LPN and then to RN.

They make about $8.50-10 in my area, but yeah, not that great of pay. Sad thing is, I only make about $10.50/hr right now (after union dues are removed) in my current job. Which really irritates me given my experience and education, since they won't promote me to a job that they say is "under me" that pays $17.50/hr. The only good thing is, there's almost always a need for CNA people (and RN's) in my area.

Having a "need" for a ceiling'ed job isn't a good thing. Don't believe the hype that these schools try to feed you about CNA and MA. Totally potential-less professions. In your lifetime as a CNA, you would be very fortunate to see 14 an hour.

I have the benefit of doing this for a living, and I don't like seeing people duped by a hype. Does the school at least have placement?

02-08-2012, 03:32 PM
(02-08-2012 03:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 03:19 PM)elemts Wrote:  They make about $8.50-10 in my area, but yeah, not that great of pay. Sad thing is, I only make about $10.50/hr right now (after union dues are removed) in my current job. Which really irritates me given my experience and education, since they won't promote me to a job that they say is "under me" that pays $17.50/hr. The only good thing is, there's almost always a need for CNA people (and RN's) in my area.

Having a "need" for a ceiling'ed job isn't a good thing. Don't believe the hype that these schools try to feed you about CNA and MA. Totally potential-less professions. In your lifetime as a CNA, you would be very fortunate to see 14 an hour.

I have the benefit of doing this for a living, and I don't like seeing people duped by a hype. Does the school at least have placement?

Placement into a job after? Not guarenteed (although many do have work after--I know the people). And really, the CNA is just as it's a requirement (plus it could help short-term), hopefully leading to acceptance into the actual nursing classes (only 24 slots in the coming sessions--they lost a teacher so they lost 12 slots). If that would work out, then I'd probably end up with a BSN or a masters in it (depending on if there's some bridge-like thing, that might take advantage of my existing education--who knows, I might end up being qualified to work in administration or a psychiatric ward).

But yeah, the CNA is just a stepping thing for me--either to just get away from my current work--or as a requirement for the program. Even the nurses I know say "GET A RN!!!!" because they get paid $20-25/hr around here, and you can do something with it.
02-08-2012, 03:47 PM
(02-08-2012 03:32 PM)elemts Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 03:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Having a "need" for a ceiling'ed job isn't a good thing. Don't believe the hype that these schools try to feed you about CNA and MA. Totally potential-less professions. In your lifetime as a CNA, you would be very fortunate to see 14 an hour.

Placement into a job after? Not guarenteed (although many do have work after--I know the people). And really, the CNA is just as it's a requirement (plus it could help short-term), hopefully leading to acceptance into the actual nursing classes (only 24 slots in the coming sessions--they lost a teacher so they lost 12 slots). If that would work out, then I'd probably end up with a BSN or a masters in it (depending on if there's some bridge-like thing, that might take advantage of my existing education--who knows, I might end up being qualified to work in administration or a psychiatric ward).

But yeah, the CNA is just a stepping thing for me--either to just get away from my current work--or as a requirement for the program. Even the nurses I know say "GET A RN!!!!" because they get paid $20-25/hr around here, and you can do something with it.

No placement? Ugh. The school I work for places students... the only reason a student wouldn't get a job after graduation would be the student's fault (not go to the interview, not show up for work, show up to work naked, etc).

It might benefit you to look at reputable for profit colleges in your area that have nursing programs. Might be a little more, but they will probably take better care of you.

Also, are you fully covered in FA?

02-08-2012, 04:01 PM
(02-08-2012 03:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No placement? Ugh. The school I work for places students... the only reason a student wouldn't get a job after graduation would be the student's fault (not go to the interview, not show up for work, show up to work naked, etc).

It might benefit you to look at reputable for profit colleges in your area that have nursing programs. Might be a little more, but they will probably take better care of you.

FA?

Oh, but there are four hospitals within 45 minutes of here--they also do the labs in 3/4 of them (which also just happens to have most of the students be hired in them as well... so they may have an "unoficial" like thing, but they never mentioned anything "official"). Although they did say most either go to work in one of the hospitals, or in the nursing home-like places (where lab items also take place).
02-08-2012, 04:02 PM
(02-08-2012 04:01 PM)elemts Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 03:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No placement? Ugh. The school I work for places students... the only reason a student wouldn't get a job after graduation would be the student's fault (not go to the interview, not show up for work, show up to work naked, etc).

FA?

Oh, but there are four hospitals within 45 minutes of here--they also do the labs in 3/4 of them (which also just happens to have most of the students be hired in them as well... so they may have an "unoficial" like thing, but they never mentioned anything "official"). Although they did say most either go to work in one of the hospitals, or in the nursing home-like places (where lab items also take place).

Financial Aid

What are you getting for financial aid?

02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
(02-08-2012 04:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 04:01 PM)elemts Wrote:  FA?

Financial Aid

What are you getting for financial aid?

None exists due to higher degrees--or so everyone's said.