Anyone a nurse (or in medicine)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: Anyone a nurse (or in medicine)
(02-08-2012 04:22 PM)elemts Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 04:02 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Financial Aid

What are you getting for financial aid?

None exists due to higher degrees--or so everyone's said.

Wait wait wait... lol what?

The school told you that you can't receive federal financial aid because of higher degrees?

That's a complete lie. Any student can receive federal aid. The only way the school wouldn't offer federal aid is if they lost their Title IV funding due to violations. If this is the case, find a new school.

I'm not joking here. It sounds like you're walking into a trap. I've never heard of a nursing program that makes you become a CNA either... this sounds really fishy...

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2012, 04:29 PM
(02-08-2012 04:27 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 04:22 PM)elemts Wrote:  None exists due to higher degrees--or so everyone's said.

The school told you that you can't receive federal financial aid because of higher degrees?

That's a complete lie. Any student can receive federal aid. The only way the school wouldn't offer federal aid is if they lost their Title IV funding due to violations. If this is the case, find a new school.

I'm not joking here. It sounds like you're walking into a trap. I've never heard of a nursing program that makes you become a CNA either... this sounds really fishy...

Elemts, I think you might want to pay attention to KC on this one. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
(02-08-2012 04:27 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 04:22 PM)elemts Wrote:  None exists due to higher degrees--or so everyone's said.

It's mainly due to the grants and such in the area, the standard (PELL grants) aren't available to bachelors degree people. They said they would look into ones that would work--they just have the one issue of until recently, they didn't have people returning to college who already had higher degrees (in the nursing at least, normal tuition at the college would be about $6k). As it is, they don't get too indepth until someone's accepted into the program. For many they already have some grants for the core classes (I already have them). And then there's the other catch.... we aren't considered full time because we have the cores out of the way. Most of the nursing students have the nursing + some cores (so they have full time hours) with us without cores, we are only part-time.

They have over 7 different grant options (or financial aid options) for students--just the requirements for them knock some out (like one involves work-study, but if we work full time we can't do it).
02-08-2012, 04:37 PM
14 months would be spread across two award years.

If you have a 0 EFC, (don't know, just assuming) then you are eligible for $5550 per award year in Pell Grant (free money). That's $11,100 that you don't have to pay back. They only way you aren't eligible for that money is if you have a BA or higher or if your EFC is too high.

Likewise, you are eligible for $3500 in sub loans and $6000 in unsub loans for the first award year, and $4500 in sub loans and $6000 in unsub loans for the second award year. That means you're eligible for $20000 in loans. If you ask for those loans, the school is 100% obligated to give it to you.

If you qualify for full Pell and your tuition is $14000, then you would only have a remaining balance of $2900. Subtract that from the $20000, and that means that you will have $17100 that will GO TO YOU IN THE FORM OF A REFUND.

You will have to pay the $20000 back to the federal government at a 3.4% interest rate ($800 in interest) for the next 10 years starting 6 months after you graduate. The round-about figure that you would be paying back monthly to the government is between $100-$150 a month.

Seriously... have you done your FAFSA yet?

02-08-2012, 04:39 PM
(02-08-2012 04:36 PM)elemts Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 04:27 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Wait wait wait... lol what?

It's mainly due to the grants and such in the area, the standard (PELL grants) aren't available to bachelors degree people. They said they would look into ones that would work--they just have the one issue of until recently, they didn't have people returning to college who already had higher degrees (in the nursing at least, normal tuition at the college would be about $6k). As it is, they don't get too indepth until someone's accepted into the program. For many they already have some grants for the core classes (I already have them). And then there's the other catch.... we aren't considered full time because we have the cores out of the way. Most of the nursing students have the nursing + some cores (so they have full time hours) with us without cores, we are only part-time.

They have over 7 different grant options (or financial aid options) for students--just the requirements for them knock some out (like one involves work-study, but if we work full time we can't do it).

Pell Grants are too very much for BA students.

Pell is only not available to you if you have a Bachelor's. Do you?

02-08-2012, 04:44 PM
(02-08-2012 04:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 04:36 PM)elemts Wrote:  It's mainly due to the grants and such in the area, the standard (PELL grants) aren't available to bachelors degree people. They said they would look into ones that would work--they just have the one issue of until recently, they didn't have people returning to college who already had higher degrees (in the nursing at least, normal tuition at the college would be about $6k). As it is, they don't get too indepth until someone's accepted into the program. For many they already have some grants for the core classes (I already have them). And then there's the other catch.... we aren't considered full time because we have the cores out of the way. Most of the nursing students have the nursing + some cores (so they have full time hours) with us without cores, we are only part-time.

Pell Grants are too very much for BA students.

I have a bachelors and a masters degree.
02-08-2012, 04:48 PM
(02-08-2012 04:44 PM)elemts Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 04:39 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Pell Grants are too very much for BA students.

I have a bachelors and a masters degree.

You're still eligible for the loans... unless, of course, you've hit your lifetime loan limit ($23000 for sub $53500 for total).

If not, you could still receive $6000 to live on while you're in school.

02-08-2012, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2012 05:26 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(02-08-2012 04:27 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've never heard of a nursing program that makes you become a CNA either... this sounds really fishy...

There are quite a few that do that. It solves the "working in a facility" (liability, background check), issue, before they are licensed, or some such .. some such.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
02-08-2012, 05:50 PM
I love murses Heart

They have less of the 'bitchy' element! Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
02-08-2012, 05:55 PM
(02-08-2012 05:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(02-08-2012 04:27 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've never heard of a nursing program that makes you become a CNA either... this sounds really fishy...

There are quite a few that do that. It solves the "working in a facility" (liability, background check), issue, before they are licensed, or some such .. some such.

Is that why? Makes sense.... I do have to have a background check, fingerprinting, CPR training, experience in a facility (which is a pre-req for the nursing I believe), and pay for malpractice insurance (about $10/semester), and something else I think, but I can't remember offhand--but it's included in the CNA class.