Anyone attend Camp Awana in WI?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Anyone attend Camp Awana in WI?
Just wondering if anyone here has been there.

I never went to camp as a kid, but my inlaws volunteer summers at this one for years and years. My husband said he spent every summer there, as well as all his siblings.

I plan on watching the Jesus Camp movie soon, I'm just wondering how this particular camp compares to those in the movie.

The in-laws are always wanting me to send my daughters there- It will never happen.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013, 11:06 AM
RE: Anyone attend Camp Awana in WI?
Never been to that particular camp, but I grew up going to our weekly awana program at church. Ours wasn't too creepy, just standard kids church stuff, nowhere near as bad as the Jesus camp. But I suppose these programs could vary from region to region.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
01-06-2013, 11:32 AM
RE: Anyone attend Camp Awana in WI?
Soon after I became an Xian at the age of 17, I became an AWANA leader at my first church. We'd meet once a week in the sanctuary and do various activities. We had AWANA shirts and patches, so it was kind of like the Cub/Boy Scouts without the woodcraft.

The kids were broken down by age group and shuffled around the church facility in order to keep things exciting and thus prevent boredom. In one area there would be games, in another singing interactive Bible songs like "Father Abraham", and in yet another memorizing Bible passages. And so on.

I've seen Jesus Camp - since we were a more conservative denomination (Evangelical Free) there wasn't any Charismatic/Pentecostal stuff going on like speaking in tongues or being slain in the Spirit. But it was certainly Xian indoctrination, and I'm sure that the AWANA curriculum can be modified depending on a given church's doctrines and dogmas.