Anyone buying Facebook IPO?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2012, 12:34 PM
RE: Anyone buying Facebook IPO?
(18-05-2012 12:31 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(18-05-2012 12:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  To echo what's been said, IPOs get sold to insiders without calling it insider trading. I could not buy an IPO with my Scott Trade account. However, what happens is the people who were suddenly made millionaires over night with their stock options will now sell them openly on the exchange, raising the price for me to buy them while they walk away with pure profit. Because they are selling so many shares at once, the price and demand goes way up. But once the hype is over, the stock will fall and settle into it's natural value, leaving me holding a huge loss because I was suckered in by the hype and bought too high and took a hit when I bailed. Fortunately for me, I'm tapped out and don't trade anymore because otherwise I might have been suckered in by the Facebook Hype even though I know better! Their is a weird gambler's psychology when it comes to trading. Be like Girly and give your money to someone who knows what they're doing!
The shares are holding so far at 38 dollars. So as long as someone is willing to sell there are IPO valued shares available.
Which MIGHT show they were over-valued in the IPO. That's why we've seen so much Zuckerberg on the news outlets lately...the little rich bastard has been trying to raise interest. Facebook is too iffy for me. It may be around forever, or it may go away. I know I lost interest and haven't missed it one bit since I left in January. Then again, it may stick around and gradually grow into a $600 Google stock.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
18-05-2012, 12:50 PM
If you can get a hold of any and have about $80,000 to work with, a couple of blocks of FB would be good for a portfolio.
If you are looking to wet your feet, index bonds are an easy investment and are "set and forget", low or no stress investing - Dow's up, you're up.
Any bank will have a low cost brokerage services which can answer questions and help you get started. :o)

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-05-2012, 01:02 PM
(18-05-2012 12:34 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(18-05-2012 12:31 PM)germanyt Wrote:  The shares are holding so far at 38 dollars. So as long as someone is willing to sell there are IPO valued shares available.
Which MIGHT show they were over-valued in the IPO. That's why we've seen so much Zuckerberg on the news outlets lately...the little rich bastard has been trying to raise interest. Facebook is too iffy for me. It may be around forever, or it may go away. I know I lost interest and haven't missed it one bit since I left in January. Then again, it may stick around and gradually grow into a $600 Google stock.
I think you'll see FB branch out into more than just social networking. I envision email domains and search engine features as well as ebay style shopping. I doubt that a company with 900 million customers would allow itself to die out without new features.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
18-05-2012, 02:03 PM
(18-05-2012 01:02 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I think you'll see FB branch out into more than just social networking. I envision email domains and search engine features as well as ebay style shopping. I doubt that a company with 900 million customers would allow itself to die out without new features.
Depends, really. If you invest in a business to run a business, then yes there will be product development, growth, etc.,. But if you invest in a business as an investment, then it's "get in, get some, and get out". Unfortunately, this is the mindset of many in today's economy. In short: the shit don't last.

That said... there are good businesses and good companies out there to invest in. It's a matter of thinking about the future, what the future means to you, and actually seeing what the future is about for the rest of the world.

Shy You seem to be quite interested in the subject, so why not take the plunge, GT? You are a fairly young person so, it's a very good time for you to explore some investment options; maybe start a portfolio -even if you just set something up with low participation.

Like I said previously - find an inexpensive brokerage you feel comfortable with, and set up a consultation. Can't hurt and there's tons to learn. I think you'd enjoy it! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-05-2012, 02:10 PM
(18-05-2012 02:03 PM)kim Wrote:  
(18-05-2012 01:02 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I think you'll see FB branch out into more than just social networking. I envision email domains and search engine features as well as ebay style shopping. I doubt that a company with 900 million customers would allow itself to die out without new features.
Depends, really. If you invest in a business to run a business, then yes there will be product development, growth, etc.,. But if you invest in a business as an investment, then it's "get in, get some, and get out". Unfortunately, this is the mindset of many in today's economy. In short: the shit don't last.

That said... there are good businesses and good companies out there to invest in. It's a matter of thinking about the future, what the future means to you, and actually seeing what the future is about for the rest of the world.

Shy You seem to be quite interested in the subject, so why not take the plunge, GT? You are a fairly young person so, it's a very good time for you to explore some investment options; maybe start a portfolio -even if you just set something up with low participation.

Like I said previously - find an inexpensive brokerage you feel comfortable with, and set up a consultation. Can't hurt and there's tons to learn. I think you'd enjoy it! Smile
I was thinking of Etrade. I mean, that baby can do it. Big Grin

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
18-05-2012, 02:17 PM
(18-05-2012 02:10 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I was thinking of Etrade. I mean, that baby can do it. Big Grin
HAhahahahaaa...a.a.a...sigh.... I'm so glad I don't have television. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
18-05-2012, 10:58 PM
(18-05-2012 01:02 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(18-05-2012 12:34 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Which MIGHT show they were over-valued in the IPO. That's why we've seen so much Zuckerberg on the news outlets lately...the little rich bastard has been trying to raise interest. Facebook is too iffy for me. It may be around forever, or it may go away. I know I lost interest and haven't missed it one bit since I left in January. Then again, it may stick around and gradually grow into a $600 Google stock.
I think you'll see FB branch out into more than just social networking. I envision email domains and search engine features as well as ebay style shopping. I doubt that a company with 900 million customers would allow itself to die out without new features.
They'll have to double their genius quotient to make it work. The minute there is any hint of commercializing FB in anyway beyond their currently benign ads to the side, and people are either going to bolt, or use Mozilla Ad blockers. Either way, the company is only as valuable as it can offer Sheeple to the Mad Men. I often have thought FB would wipe out any other competition, but now I'm not so sure. I don't mean to be a nay-sayer as I haven't done my analysis of the fundamentals on this company to know what the EPS and P/E are doing. The only winners here are the folks that worked for the company long enough to earn options.

There was an interesting piece on ABC News tonight telling how these "young" millionaires were not going out and extravagantly spending their earnings. They're not buying Teslas or Mansions or Yachts. Many are buying fixer-upper homes or condos in the city where they can bike to work. It's a fascinating sociological story in and of itself.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
18-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Not, (at least), until the European Union clears them of the "privacy rights violation" charges. Maybe some out of the money options, (well maybe not). Be ready to buy a wad of puts, (or short it), when it starts to fall.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
18-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Leave it to the Greeks to give us a gift horse to look in the mouth.

The fact that FB peaked at it's opening price of $42 shows that a LOT of people cashed out ASAP. I would have, then left maybe a 1/3 of the shares to go long with. Still, Kim the contortionist who is able to squirt her milk out of her nose somehow, has the right suggestion...for those of us who don't have 80K to throw around, we're not really going to be too involved in the story. As someone who left FB, I can't help but secretly (or not so secretly) hope it takes. Big Grin

~Izel