Anyone current or ex-Military?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2014, 04:51 AM
RE: Anyone current or ex-Military?
(11-05-2014 04:25 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(11-05-2014 04:24 AM)John Wrote:  You just gave my brain a magical ride in the spinning transcendental teapot. Blink

How exactly did I do that? Just saying, if it's so easy, I want it too Tongue

I'd gladly return the favour if I could Tongue (who knows, maybe I will)

Just saying that I think the privilege of associating the army with peace goes probably to those who haven't seen war since Napoleonic times, like some Scandinavian countries or the Swiss, and whose forces mainly (if not solely) engage in peace-keep operations.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2014, 05:34 AM
USAF, SP (Security Police) , went in after HS at 17, honerable discharge in '77.

After that, things got real interesting in my life. Blush

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
11-05-2014, 05:39 AM
Glad I have too many physical defects to be drafted; it's not like I want to take 50 KM walks up in bumfuck Kirkernes, looking at bored russians.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
11-05-2014, 08:38 AM
My husband was career military, had just gotten out when we met. He would talk about social things to do with the military, as well as strategic ones, but he never ever talked about the war experiences themselves. Ever.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
11-05-2014, 11:36 AM
I was an infantry officer from 1972-76. That was long ago and a different lifetime for me.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
12-05-2014, 09:32 AM
(10-05-2014 01:57 PM)Freethought Wrote:  Yikes! I'm 17 currently and can't even fathom enlisting in the military as a 5'4 120 pound male. On a slightly unrelated note, have you seen a couple of 'small fries' in the military?

hehe I was 6'1 and weighed 118 lbs when I joined...the sad thing is I had been working out and eating anything I could get my hands on for the previous 3 years...I used to get up at 0100 every morning and slam down a peanut butter and banana sandwich washed down with a protein shake in a desperate attempt to gain weight...talk about a crazy high metabolism.

Now I am 45 yo, weigh 207 lbs with 17.5 inch arms and a 31 inch waist...I eat a minimum of 3800 calories a day and try to hit 5,000 calories while working out 2.5 hours a day 6 days a week...it is a never ending cycle of eat, hydrate, lift and repeat...

There are a lot of "small fries" in the navy, I see guys walking around our ship that can't possibly weigh 110 lbs and some girls who don't break 100 lbs. But we aren't as physically demanding as the Army, so I am sure having 65-110lbs of "battle rattle" on your back while marching 30 miles a day would become a bit....tiring.

To everyone else who responded, thanks, I really enjoyed reading your posts. I had duty yesterday so I didn't get a chance to read the thread until I got home this morning.

Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
12-05-2014, 09:30 PM
I was in the Air Training Corps for nearly a year... Does that count?

You wear a uniform, get yelled at and march up and down in the pissing rain...

Sometimes they let you use a rifle, and if you're good they let you spend a day or two with the proper RAF.

And if you're really, really good, they just might take you up for a ride in a jet trainer.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2014, 09:36 PM
(12-05-2014 09:30 PM)Sam Wrote:  I was in the Air Training Corps for nearly a year... Does that count?

You wear a uniform, get yelled at and march up and down in the pissing rain...

Sometimes they let you use a rifle, and if you're good they let you spend a day or two with the proper RAF.

And if you're really, really good, they just might take you up for a ride in a jet trainer.

Close enough.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
12-05-2014, 10:04 PM
USMC, VMA-214, 3rd MAW - Plane Captain A4 Skyhawks, early 70's. Honorable discharge in 1980. Qualified as Sharpshooter with M16-A1. (2 fucking points short of Expert, damn it!)
12-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Sometimes I wish I had joined up... All the fun I've missed out on.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user