Anyone else currently reading the Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Anyone else currently reading the Bible?
I'm on Deuteronomy now. I started Genesis back in March. I can't put it down.

Here's the thing, I didn't become an atheist because all the crazy crap in the Bible. In fact I'm still a bit of an apologist, at least when it comes to the inconsistencies. Bible apologists have found ways to get around those inconsistencies. So they don't concern me. My concern is the content itself.

And wow, I mean... Wow... This is an awesome book. Where was I when they decided to wipe out an entire city, except for the young female virgins? That's a party! Evil_monster
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 11:16 AM
RE: Anyone else currently reading the Bible?
(07-05-2015 11:12 AM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I'm on Deuteronomy now. I started Genesis back in March. I can't put it down.

Here's the thing, I didn't become an atheist because all the crazy crap in the Bible. In fact I'm still a bit of an apologist, at least when it comes to the inconsistencies. Bible apologists have found ways to get around those inconsistencies. So they don't concern me. My concern is the content itself.

And wow, I mean... Wow... This is an awesome book. Where was I when they decided to wipe out an entire city, except for the young female virgins? That's a party! Evil_monster

Yeah, I enjoy reading/studying The Bible even though i am an atheist. I used to like to read it as a christian--because you know God Tongue. Now I read it as literature and am interested in it from a cultural standpoint.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
07-05-2015, 12:16 PM
I still read it fairly often... only now it seems way more crazy than it used to? Huh

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-05-2015, 12:17 PM
(07-05-2015 12:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  I still read it fairly often... only now it seems way more crazy than it used to? Huh

Yeah, it does Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-05-2015, 12:24 PM
I mean there's passages in there that I'm like "Bible say Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???" I'm sure I woulda noticed them before... Undecided

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-05-2015, 12:30 PM
(07-05-2015 12:24 PM)morondog Wrote:  I mean there's passages in there that I'm like "Bible say Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???" I'm sure I woulda noticed them before... Undecided

I noticed some of them--like the whole Abraham being asked to sacrifice his son thing (which really disturbed me) and all of the animal sacrifices (which as a vegan, pushed me into one foot out the door). But of course, my pastor did his job and made the passages sound "not so bad." Oh, Jenny we don't do animal sacrifices anymore--that was before Jesus. God was just trying to illustrate through animals the sacrifice of Jesus. That was a different time. And as for Abraham-well it was for Abraham's benefit so Abraham would know how much he believed in god--god already knew. And of course, God stopped Abraham from killing his son.... *eye roll*

07-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Actually today it was new testament for me. I'm still somewhat immunised against the OT 'cos even the Christians are like "that's ass-backwards man, we don't do that shit no more thanks to my homie JC the ultimate rock star getting his pasty white ass nailed to items of a ligneous nature"...

Lemme see if I can find the passage... Ah here we go. Luke 21. It's... kinda innnocuous. Jesus ranting about the signs of the end times. But as I was reading it I was thinking about how a Christian would read it fitting it to current events. He mentions earthquakes (Nepal), wars (just about goddamn everywhere), famines and pestilences (ebola)...

Bit of an eye opener to think of it from an atheist perspective. As in - anyone can say "there shall be wars and rumours of wars" - that's hardly a very specific prophecy. There's *always* a bloody pestilence somewhere, like this pestilential door-knocker standing in front of me...

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
07-05-2015, 12:47 PM
I managed to laugh and guffaw my way through Genisis a few weeks back like the pretentious atheist prick that I am Wink

Currently looking through 'Buddy Christs' critique of the bible here:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-available

Big Grin

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
[+] 2 users Like LostLegend's post
07-05-2015, 12:48 PM
(07-05-2015 12:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  Actually today it was new testament for me. I'm still somewhat immunised against the OT 'cos even the Christians are like "that's ass-backwards man, we don't do that shit no more thanks to my homie JC the ultimate rock star getting his pasty white ass nailed to items of a ligneous nature"...

Lemme see if I can find the passage... Ah here we go. Luke 21. It's... kinda innnocuous. Jesus ranting about the signs of the end times. But as I was reading it I was thinking about how a Christian would read it fitting it to current events. He mentions earthquakes (Nepal), wars (just about goddamn everywhere), famines and pestilences (ebola)...

Bit of an eye opener to think of it from an atheist perspective. As in - anyone can say "there shall be wars and rumours of wars" - that's hardly a very specific prophecy. There's *always* a bloody pestilence somewhere, like this pestilential door-knocker standing in front of me...

Oh yeah there are whole websites dedicated to that end of the world nonsense. They'll say things like Daniel predicted Hitler (when in reality, he was talking about Antiochus). They also say Zechariah 6 predicted 9/11 because horses were flying around mountains in this passage and clearly flying horses mean airplanes and mountains mean buildings Thumbsup. These are just a few of the things I have come across on the rapture websites.

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
07-05-2015, 12:51 PM
(07-05-2015 12:47 PM)LostLegend Wrote:  I managed to laugh and guffaw my way through Genisis a few weeks back like the pretentious atheist prick that I am Wink

Currently looking through 'Buddy Christs' critique of the bible here:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-available

Big Grin

Hah. Buddy Christ is God.