Anyone else currently reading the Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 01:00 PM
RE: Anyone else currently reading the Bible?
(07-05-2015 12:47 PM)LostLegend Wrote:  I managed to laugh and guffaw my way through Genisis a few weeks back like the pretentious atheist prick that I am Wink

Currently looking through 'Buddy Christs' critique of the bible here:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-available

Big Grin

i'll have to check that out Thumbsup Yeah, Genesis was pretty easy to read--the other passages later on re: prophecy is where things get a little tricky. It sounds like a bad acid trip.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Anyone else currently reading the Bible?
Read it all the way through three times. May one day read it again after realizing I'm atheist.

Just not today.
07-05-2015, 02:11 PM
I'm only in Deuteronomy (the apparent forged document), and it... is it me or does the socalled "Pentateuch" just get worse and worse. I thought, well, after Genesis and a few guidelines about animal sacrifice and some weird laws, then we'll get into the stuff I recognize like the battle of Jericho.

I grew up thinking that the Pentateuch would be boring if I decided to read it through. No! Anything but. Except for the genealogies, and every once in a while it goes into an overly descriptive version of "previously on 'The Bible'". Other than that, you get some crazy, craaaazy stuff. Was God afraid of Adam? Lot's daughters... no! The Jerry Springer episode starring Jacob and his ladies. That guy's gathering sticks on the Sabbath day, kill him!!! Genocide ftw!

But then, I now know why none of the church leaders I had ever placed any emphasis on taking on reading those first 5 books. What would they tell you? Proverbs, right? Yeah, read Proverbs. A chapter a day, as a devotion to God, and so many praise songs were written using Proverbs.

No hymn was written about killing the interracial couple so that God would lift the plague curse.

And yeah, that was the Old Testament. I simply don't buy it. I used to. I used to be like, "That's the OT, I'm all about the NT." But you can only use that so much. So in other words the "OT vs. NT" idea is that the Father was mean and cruel, I wanna say emotionally unstable, but his son comes along and says, "Hey, let's... let's ease up. Okay. I know, we got the law and I'm not going to end that, only continue it, but come on. Let's put some brakes on. Show the love, man."

I'm just done buying that.
07-05-2015, 02:19 PM
(07-05-2015 02:11 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I'm only in Deuteronomy (the apparent forged document), and it... is it me or does the socalled "Pentateuch" just get worse and worse. I thought, well, after Genesis and a few guidelines about animal sacrifice and some weird laws, then we'll get into the stuff I recognize like the battle of Jericho.

I grew up thinking that the Pentateuch would be boring if I decided to read it through. No! Anything but. Except for the genealogies, and every once in a while it goes into an overly descriptive version of "previously on 'The Bible'". Other than that, you get some crazy, craaaazy stuff. Was God afraid of Adam? Lot's daughters... no! The Jerry Springer episode starring Jacob and his ladies. That guy's gathering sticks on the Sabbath day, kill him!!! Genocide ftw!

But then, I now know why none of the church leaders I had ever placed any emphasis on taking on reading those first 5 books. What would they tell you? Proverbs, right? Yeah, read Proverbs. A chapter a day, as a devotion to God, and so many praise songs were written using Proverbs.

No hymn was written about killing the interracial couple so that God would lift the plague curse.

And yeah, that was the Old Testament. I simply don't buy it. I used to. I used to be like, "That's the OT, I'm all about the NT." But you can only use that so much. So in other words the "OT vs. NT" idea is that the Father was mean and cruel, I wanna say emotionally unstable, but his son comes along and says, "Hey, let's... let's ease up. Okay. I know, we got the law and I'm not going to end that, only continue it, but come on. Let's put some brakes on. Show the love, man."

Yeah. I was also taught that the O.T. didn't apply to us anymore as christians because Jesus erased all of that. The genealogies are very very dry. Just wait until you get into some of the prophets--like Isaiah who walked around nekked--crazy stuff. Have you read the Skeptic's Annotated Bible? It's good for a laugh as you go through the passages and it is really good at pointing out inconsistencies.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
07-05-2015, 02:24 PM
(07-05-2015 02:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 02:11 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I'm only in Deuteronomy (the apparent forged document), and it... is it me or does the socalled "Pentateuch" just get worse and worse. I thought, well, after Genesis and a few guidelines about animal sacrifice and some weird laws, then we'll get into the stuff I recognize like the battle of Jericho.

Yeah. I was also taught that the O.T. didn't apply to us anymore as christians because Jesus erased all of that. The genealogies are very very dry. Just wait until you get into some of the prophets--like Isaiah who walked around nekked--crazy stuff. Have you read the Skeptic's Annotated Bible? It's good for a laugh as you go through the passages and it is really good at pointing out inconsistencies.

That's actually how I'm reading it now. I love it. Though there's a couple things I wish he would comment on that he doesn't. And then a couple other things that I can see apologists shrugging at. But on the whole it's pretty funny so far.
07-05-2015, 02:28 PM
(07-05-2015 02:24 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 02:19 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yeah. I was also taught that the O.T. didn't apply to us anymore as christians because Jesus erased all of that. The genealogies are very very dry. Just wait until you get into some of the prophets--like Isaiah who walked around nekked--crazy stuff. Have you read the Skeptic's Annotated Bible? It's good for a laugh as you go through the passages and it is really good at pointing out inconsistencies.

That's actually how I'm reading it now. I love it. Though there's a couple things I wish he would comment on that he doesn't. And then a couple other things that I can see apologists shrugging at. But on the whole it's pretty funny so far.

Yeah, I love Steve Wells. He also wrote Drunk with Blood--another good read. I also like Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction. It helps to get through the prophets--they can be a little tricky to figure out because they are so ambiguous. Ehrman explains all that and more. Great read.

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
07-05-2015, 07:10 PM
(07-05-2015 11:12 AM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I'm on Deuteronomy now. I started Genesis back in March. I can't put it down.

Here's the thing, I didn't become an atheist because all the crazy crap in the Bible. In fact I'm still a bit of an apologist, at least when it comes to the inconsistencies. Bible apologists have found ways to get around those inconsistencies. So they don't concern me. My concern is the content itself.

And wow, I mean... Wow... This is an awesome book. Where was I when they decided to wipe out an entire city, except for the young female virgins? That's a party! Evil_monster

Really, I find it extremely boring. I can't keep it up for long. I have to put it down when I fall asleep and lose muscle control.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
07-05-2015, 09:00 PM

Just wait until Joshua. That's a bloodbath. Personally, I love reading it although I find that I laugh so much more when I hear/read people who cherrypick single verses out thinking it makes their point or makes them feel better and they don't actually realize that they are taking it out of context. I mean the context argument is pretty much the first thing a christian lobs at you when you point out something wicked.

That reminds me, I have to link this because I love it so much.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
08-05-2015, 11:56 AM
(07-05-2015 02:11 PM)WalkingSnake Wrote:  I'm just done buying that.

And good for you, you don't.

It can't be repeated often enough. That JC son business is nothing but a practical god joke anyway. The trinity says so. It's god wearing that nice Jesus outfit, just like Edgar bug in the original Men in Black.
08-05-2015, 06:02 PM
Kind of reminds me of when atheists attack theists because of verses like Psalm 137: 9 "Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks" when verse 8 stated "Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction, happy is the one who repays you according to what you have done to us."

It's a verse that describes the sacking of Jerusalem in 586 BCE. On the verses about the Jews eating their own people (as a prophesy I believe in Ezekiel), archeologists found evidence of that very thing in Jerusalem from that same period.