Anyone else decorate this time of year?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2017, 01:34 PM
I just put up my tree. Anyone else decorate for Christmas, the winter solstice, Saturnalia, etc?

[Image: 1HBNz6U.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
03-12-2017, 01:36 PM
RE: Anyone else decorate this time of year?
Nope, not into magic baby day.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
03-12-2017, 01:41 PM
(03-12-2017 01:36 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Nope, not into magic baby day.

Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I go for the "keep the merry, leave the myth" approach.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 4 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
03-12-2017, 01:41 PM
(03-12-2017 01:34 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I just put up my tree. Anyone else decorate for Christmas, the winter solstice, Saturnalia, etc?

[Image: 1HBNz6U.jpg]

Uh, yes Drinking Beverage And I too have that tree Thumbsup I also like to get a big potted tree (no trees get chopped down that way) to decorate and I also like to put up Excessmas (props to LJ for the name) lights. I also am a believer in the ugly Christmas sweater and love having Ugly Xmas Sweater parties Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
03-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Jesus ain't the reason for my season. Tongue
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
03-12-2017, 01:51 PM
I'll probably have my Philips Hue Bloom do a Christmas colored transition.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
03-12-2017, 02:05 PM
We don't go all out, but we do some. I like lights, so I put them up, and we have an artificial, prelit tree about 4' high that gets moved from the basement up to the living room and then we put ornaments on it. I don't feel any great cognitive dissonance about it. I'm always struck at some point by how much more I enjoy this season now--for the lights, music, decorations, cheesy TV specials, and presents--than I did when I was religious and trying to make myself feel ecstatic about the birth of the doomed baby jesus.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
03-12-2017, 02:17 PM
(03-12-2017 01:51 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I'll probably have my Philips Hue Bloom do a Christmas colored transition.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
03-12-2017, 02:23 PM
(03-12-2017 01:41 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  

Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I go for the "keep the merry, leave the myth" approach.

Yea but not into the hype either way. I see it as simply way over done. I'd like to see a movement to turn the 26th into a secular celebration, to celebrate the end of all the hype.

Don't get me wrong, I like hanging out with family and friends, but I don't like way America treats it like "JESUS JESUS JESUS" OR "BUY BUY BUY all that needless crap" 5 billion years in advance. It is just one day.

Our modern marketing of it started in the 1800s purely for corporate marketing. Santa is a marketing tool.

My mom passed away in March, before that she really was my only reason for partaking in it because she liked it.

Right now for me, my "holidays" are actually once or twice a month I go over to my friend's house for a Barbecue.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2017, 02:42 PM
I don't decorate. No reason for such, even if nowadays christmas connection to religion is tenuous.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.