Anyone else decorate this time of year?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2017, 07:47 PM
RE: Anyone else decorate this time of year?
(03-12-2017 02:23 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  My mom passed away in March, before that she really was my only reason for partaking in it because she liked it.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2017, 08:57 PM
(03-12-2017 01:34 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I just put up my tree. Anyone else decorate for Christmas, the winter solstice, Saturnalia, etc?

[Image: 1HBNz6U.jpg]

It looks like you and I approach seasonal decorating in a similar way. I like to put up a wreath for winter solstice, and burn an abundance of candles.
04-12-2017, 09:00 PM
(04-12-2017 07:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(03-12-2017 02:23 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  My mom passed away in March, before that she really was my only reason for partaking in it because she liked it.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Hug

I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my dad a couple of years ago, and although it was not connected to christmas in any way, it was a difficult year.
05-12-2017, 05:45 PM
(04-12-2017 04:04 PM)unsapien Wrote:  for anyone interested..

Go to your user CP panel.

Find edit options.

Choose board style:

TTA_XMAS

Instant TTA Christmas décor... Big Grin

Good lookin out! Shy

Prolly go lookin for a new Holiday Avatar, too. [Image: christmas_smiley22.gif]

05-12-2017, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 06:49 PM by Dark Light.)
My wife is one of those people that has the decorations out before Thanksgiving against my wishes. Nothing crazy. A well-trimmed tree, a handful of nick-knacks (sp?), a wreath, and some cheesy (IMO) lawn decorations. Nothing like Christmas Vacation.

As for the dropping the myth part...that's half the fun to me. Myths make it interesting. Of course, I'm not suggesting you need to convert to Christianity or some vague neo-Paganism to celebrate, but the myths are just good fun to me. Keep the merry and the myth. They're both valuable.

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
05-12-2017, 06:23 PM
(05-12-2017 05:57 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  My wife is one of those people that has the decorations out before Thanksgiving against my wishes. Nothing crazy. A well-trimmed tree, a handful of nick-knacks (sp?), a wreath, and some cheesy (IMO) lawn decorations. Nothing like Christmas Vacation.

As for the dropping the myth part...that's half the fun to me. Myths make it interesting. Of course, I'm not suggesting you need to convert to Christianity or some vague neo-Paganism to celebrate, but the myths are just good fun to me. Keep the merry and the myth. Their both valuable.

I googled the spelling. It's knick-knacks, two k's, although evidently sometimes nick-nacks, and also sometimes no hyphen, knickknacks, but never one k and one n.

I have three light-up Christmas flamingos that I sometimes put in the garden. Probably not this year.
05-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Just put up the tree yesterday, but I haven't dug out the decorations yet. Bought that tree like 19 years ago when we got married, it's still in good shape!

Christmas has waxed and waned from year to year, there's been a couple of years where we had only some wall decorations, then a few years when we had the big tree and the kids each had their own little foot tall trees also, that they put little presents under for each other.

Two years ago when my father died, I inherited his old christmas ornaments, they are glass blown ornaments that his father had made (my grandfather was a glass blower by trade). I was really pissed when I got them, cause many were damaged, including some of the glass "rays" on the star for the top of the tree.

Growing up on the farm my dad wouldn't let anyone else touch them, only he put them on & took them off, because they were so delicate. The glass on some of the smaller balls is so thin and light, it's like you're holding a soap bubble. The glass star only went on the tree on christmas eve and came off again at the end of christmas day.

It's been an emotional experience for me the first two times I've actually got to touch them & then put them on the tree, imagine it'll be the same feeling for years to come, it's becoming the thing I look forward to the most about christmas.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
05-12-2017, 07:27 PM
(04-12-2017 04:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
[Image: DQOyuRSVQAEP9JY.jpg][Image: DQOyveAUIAENrjI.jpg][Image: DQOywG8U8AARZ3R.jpg]

We actually got our decorations up on the first weekend of December, that's great for us. Last year I think we got the tree up on the 21st.

I like the owl Thumbsup
05-12-2017, 09:50 PM
No, nothing outside. Sometimes a tree of sorts, usually living for my niece and nephew when they come over.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 1 user Likes whateverist's post
06-12-2017, 12:47 AM
i'm not sure I am replying correctly, please bear with the newbie. I especially like the mythology / traditions that combine mushrooms and Santa Claus. I came out of Christianity in my mid-fifties, and I needed to find a different way to look at the winter holidays. I also have very good memories of 'shroom trips, so I was delighted to stumble across the stories of shamanic traditions that link the holidays to them. I don't ascribe any religious significance to these stories, because i am done with ritualistic behaviour, etc. they just bring good times to mind.

(05-12-2017 05:57 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  My wife is one of those people that has the decorations out before Thanksgiving against my wishes. Nothing crazy. A well-trimmed tree, a handful of nick-knacks (sp?), a wreath, and some cheesy (IMO) lawn decorations. Nothing like Christmas Vacation.

As for the dropping the myth part...that's half the fun to me. Myths make it interesting. Of course, I'm not suggesting you need to convert to Christianity or some vague neo-Paganism to celebrate, but the myths are just good fun to me. Keep the merry and the myth. They're both valuable.