Anyone else do this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Anyone else do this?
My friend/flatmate has a girlfriend/my other flatmate of whom one would call a "casual" gamer. And when I say "casual" I mean "doesn't play games". She tries because her boyfriend is really into games but she just sucks. I mean she's really bad. Mind you she's not the worst I've seen, she can actually point the gun somewhat in the general direction and get a kill or two (at the cost of dying 20 times). But she sucks.

I have another friend from high school. He is what you would call a "casual" gamer. And by "casual" gamer I mean "he doesn't play games". He also sucks. He's a workaholic and only plays to play with us.

Here's my gripe (and the purpose of the thread). My friend from high school, we give him shit for being so bad. I mean we give him absolute assholes about being a bad player. All jokingly I might add. BUT my flatmate/friends girlfriend, even though she sucks it's nothing but encouragement. No saying how that particular play was shit or how her k/d is beyond horrible. Nope, nothing but "way to go!" and "ohh you almost got him".

I feel as though this is very sexiest. Anyone else notice this? It seems to be a trend with girl gamers, they seem to be "allowed" to be bad, whereas heaven forbid a dude sucks...

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
21-07-2014, 07:41 AM
RE: Anyone else do this?
I think it's sexist. Give her shit!

And maybe encourage the dude a little.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
21-07-2014, 07:54 AM
The relationship dynamics are different, though. In one case you have a mate who wants to hang out with you. You go way back. In the other case you have a romantic relationship as the connection, and the other person doesn't really want to hang out and play games but is doing it to try and understand yadda yadda yadda. Follow your housemate's lead on this one. You don't want him to think you drove her off if it all goes pear shaped.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post
21-07-2014, 09:06 AM
I think with guys its thought that the majority can and regularly do take the piss out of each other. Its competitive talk.

Girl gamer's are still quite rare, with males probably having the stereotypical expectation that they will be shit at the game, and in so maybe a pre-supposed belief of authority/power/increased skill over all girl gamer's?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
21-07-2014, 09:16 AM
If any of you were trying to fuck your buddy, I suppose you'd be more encouraging to him. Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
21-07-2014, 09:18 AM (This post was last modified: 21-07-2014 09:39 AM by Hobbitgirl.)
Treating her with kids gloves is offensive and if I were her and were doing badly and -all I got- was 'oh good job little lady" I'd be pissed off. Give her props when she pulls something good off like you would any other bloody gamer.

If shes going to be a gamer shes going to have to learn to shit talk like the rest of us.
[+] 7 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
21-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Even when hardcore gamers start playing new games they may suck at first.

Many girls start playing without much confidence because not much is expected from them. I think it's alright to encourage a newbie in the beginning, but if she's been playing for a while now and she's not getting better, then she should face reality.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 5 users Like undergroundp's post
21-07-2014, 01:54 PM
(21-07-2014 09:06 AM)bemore Wrote:  I think with guys its thought that the majority can and regularly do take the piss out of each other. Its competitive talk.

Girl gamer's are still quite rare, with males probably having the stereotypical expectation that they will be shit at the game, and in so maybe a pre-supposed belief of authority/power/increased skill over all girl gamer's?

It's not just "gamers". Females generally don't "give each other shit" while trying to learn stuff or while working - we're kind of serious that way. I think this may be a "male thing" and some females find it a confusing trait to read, until they get to know the personalities involved.

If you feel you know your flatmate's girlfriend fairly well and some gaming time has passed, I'd say ease into some good natured ribbing. If she is familiar with at least one particular game, let her know that she is now at an intermediate playing level and subject to the required ridicule for that level.

Really, it's probably the only way she will be challenged enough to stick with it and get better.

As well, she needs to start playing for her self ... not because she wants to get "in" with some stupid guy. (I find such behavior somewhat akin to stalking.) If she is sincere about wanting to learn - for herself, then she should get just as much shit for it as the next guy. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
21-07-2014, 01:57 PM
(21-07-2014 01:54 PM)kim Wrote:  If you feel you know your flatmate's girlfriend fairly well and some gaming time has passed, I'd say ease into some good natured ribbing. If she is familiar with at least one particular game, let her know that she is now at an intermediate playing level and subject to the required ridicule for that level.

Really, it's probably the only way she will be challenged enough to stick with it and get better.

As well, she needs to start playing for her self ... not because she wants to get "in" with some stupid guy. (I find such behavior somewhat akin to stalking.) If she is sincere about wanting to learn - for herself, then she should get just as much shit for it as the next guy. Shy

I was going to say something, but now I don't need to.

... this is my signature!
25-07-2014, 08:53 AM
I should probably add that she's very much a delicate flower.
She often storms off to her room to sulk when I say something "offensive" to my other flatmate.
But I have taken your advice and started to give her shit. Just taking it slow and building up to full blown "wow, you are so bad at this game you should kill yourself".

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post