Anyone else feel like tearing their hair out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Anyone else feel like tearing their hair out?
I mean, living in a small town in TN, Im constantly being swarmed by creationists, pseudo-science, emotional pleas, and all the other usual suspects of Christianity. And its driving me freaking crazy! I have 1 other friend who shares my view, and we tend to spend so much time fighting off the swarms its getting exausting. Anyone else dealing with this issue? Got any ways to deal with it, because Im on the edge of going ballistic on the next well-intentioned idiot meaning to "save" me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DerekS's post
18-01-2013, 04:28 PM
RE: Anyone else feel like tearing their hair out?
Nope. But I sometimes feel like tearing others' hair out Tongue

Okay, kidding aside, I totally understand how you feel. Being surrounded by people you have nothing in common with is draining, to say the least.

Do you work with this people, are they friends, family, etc? Is it not possible to avoid them or at least let them know you're not only not interested in what they're pushing on you, but that it bothers you a great lot?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
18-01-2013, 05:14 PM
(18-01-2013 04:28 PM)Vera Wrote:  Nope. But I sometimes feel like tearing others' hair out Tongue

Haha, me too! Big Grin

Seriously, it depends on who they are. I have a friend I like for many other reasons, but it took her almost two years to quit probing if I could be converted. This is ok.

I also have an aunt who lives and breathes catholicism, and she is old and alone and I don't mess with it. I listen quietly and change the subject.

But all the people (relatives and aquaintances) praying for my (atheist) husband after he passed drove me positively up the wall and I ended up avoiding one and all. By now they have calmed down, I guess they figure it's all taken care of by now. They sure made me nuts though, it was the last shit I needed to listen to at the time.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-01-2013, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2013 06:42 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-01-2013 04:18 PM)DerekS Wrote:  I mean, living in a small town in TN, Im constantly being swarmed by creationists, pseudo-science, emotional pleas, and all the other usual suspects of Christianity. And its driving me freaking crazy! I have 1 other friend who shares my view, and we tend to spend so much time fighting off the swarms its getting exausting. Anyone else dealing with this issue? Got any ways to deal with it, because Im on the edge of going ballistic on the next well-intentioned idiot meaning to "save" me.

Play with them. Milk the shit out of that entertainment-rich environment. Pretend you are metaphysically confused and are seeking guidance. Pretend to be more and more confused as they try to explain their bullshit to you and watch their frustration levels increase until they totally fucking lose it instead of you.

[Image: 280sw0yu335.gif]

CAVEATS: Don't do this with people who can kick your ass ... or your 90 yo aunt really into Catholicism ... or proselytizing cops.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-01-2013, 06:49 PM
I recommend calm, unemotional Socratic questioning. Once you've cornered them with their own illogic, they will never breach the subject with you again. On the other hand, if you respond with aggression, you will do the entire atheist community a disservice by giving them a reasonably valid reason to say that atheists are mean and belligerent.

Also, when someone is able to incite anger/emotion in you simply by bringing up a topic... it's a pretty good indicator that you suffer some dissonance about the subject. For instance, if someone comes up to me and tries to convince me that I need to travel to the moon on a bicycle, I don't get bothered. If they start needling me about the fact that I need to quit smoking, that provokes an emotional reaction in me because I know I need to quit smoking. So, if you're that bothered by religion, perhaps you're not that convinced that gods don't exist?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-01-2013, 07:05 PM
I've been in the closet on this for over twenty years now. And I told my family about a year ago and it was fine. They give there little speeches, I agree to disagree, we hug and say I love you. I only came out to my friends a couple of weeks ago. I'm gonna start defriending ppl on fb starting with my husbands father who had the nerve to say he was offended by my posts. EVERY single person on my friends list is a christian and they post tons of god stuff every single day, all day long. I find the most least offensive thing to post about my views and it gets ripped to shreds. Most have been very nice. But a select few are on my last nerve. And it hurts my feelings because I am a very nice person. I'm a better person than many christians I know because I don't judge. I'm a good, kind, loving person. I'm really starting to see the double standard for my self and I'm gonna speak my mind about it because it isn't right.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like smidgen's post
18-01-2013, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2013 09:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-01-2013 07:05 PM)smidgen Wrote:  I've been in the closet on this for over twenty years now. And I told my family about a year ago and it was fine. They give there little speeches, I agree to disagree, we hug and say I love you. I only came out to my friends a couple of weeks ago. I'm gonna start defriending ppl on fb starting with my husbands father who had the nerve to say he was offended by my posts. EVERY single person on my friends list is a christian and they post tons of god stuff every single day, all day long. I find the most least offensive thing to post about my views and it gets ripped to shreds. Most have been very nice. But a select few are on my last nerve. And it hurts my feelings because I am a very nice person. I'm a better person than many christians I know because I don't judge. I'm a good, kind, loving person. I'm really starting to see the double standard for my self and I'm gonna speak my mind about it because it isn't right.

Unlike atheists, Christians got no fucking reason to be agreeable or nice. They got this whole deathbed conversion clause shit where you can still go to heaven even though you've lived this life as a giant thunderfucking prick. ... fucking absurd ... fucking morons.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-01-2013, 09:09 PM
(18-01-2013 09:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-01-2013 07:05 PM)smidgen Wrote:  I've been in the closet on this for over twenty years now. And I told my family about a year ago and it was fine. They give there little speeches, I agree to disagree, we hug and say I love you. I only came out to my friends a couple of weeks ago. I'm gonna start defriending ppl on fb starting with my husbands father who had the nerve to say he was offended by my posts. EVERY single person on my friends list is a christian and they post tons of god stuff every single day, all day long. I find the most least offensive thing to post about my views and it gets ripped to shreds. Most have been very nice. But a select few are on my last nerve. And it hurts my feelings because I am a very nice person. I'm a better person than many christians I know because I don't judge. I'm a good, kind, loving person. I'm really starting to see the double standard for my self and I'm gonna speak my mind about it because it isn't right.

Unlike atheists, Christians got no fucking reason to be agreeable or nice. They got this whole deathbed conversion clause shit where you can still go to heaven even though you've lived this life as a giant thunderfucking prick. ... fucking absurd ... fucking morons.
Agreed.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
19-01-2013, 05:28 AM
No. I've never even heard of Creationism before I discovered the Internet. Germany is, fortunately, a very secular and non-religious country.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
19-01-2013, 01:57 PM
I can relate to you on the least offensive posts. Though recently I've been finding that I don't care so much about hurting peoples feelings. If they are allowed to post the offensive hurtful shit they post about atheists.....fuck it I'm gonna start doing the same. If they cant appreciate and love me for the dirty blasphemer I am then they can delete me and continue to enjoy their tired little fairy tale on their own. Smile

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 7 users Like Hobbitgirl's post