Anyone else like the 10 commandments - the movie.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Anyone else like the 10 commandments - the movie.
The original movie with Charleton Heston has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Any fellow atheists out there who like this for it's entertainment value?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes thecontemplator's post
18-04-2017, 07:05 PM
RE: Anyone else like the 10 commandments - the movie.
It's really great. Angel
This is the best part.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Lol wasn't there actually like 200? All those rules about rituals and sacrifices and what not?
18-04-2017, 07:11 PM
(18-04-2017 07:09 PM)thecontemplator Wrote:  Lol wasn't there actually like 200? All those rules about rituals and sacrifices and what not?

628 Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
18-04-2017, 07:12 PM
I guess Moses needed alot more tablets.
18-04-2017, 07:40 PM
(18-04-2017 06:53 PM)thecontemplator Wrote:  The original movie with Charleton Heston has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Any fellow atheists out there who like this for it's entertainment value?
Actually the original was made in 1923, during the silent era. And it was ALSO directed by a very young Cecil B. DeMille. It also had some early Technicolor sequences in it (the parting of the Red Sea being one of them ... it was all the more impressive for being an in-camera effect).
[Image: Red-Sea.png]
The 1956 version you're talking about was a remake.

The 1923 version was even more of a morality play than the 1956 version. The first half told the Biblical story of Moses and the Exodus, the second half was the so-called "modern story" which followed the moral dissolution of a greedy character who does not follow the Commandments.

I saw clips from the 1923 version back in the 1970s. It did not look like the color sequences had survived. I have not tried to watch it in full. I think it's on YouTube.
18-04-2017, 07:41 PM
I enjoyed it when I was younger and a committed Christian, I probably wouldn't like it so much now, I know enough about this myth that I would be yelling BS! BS! at every major part, I don't think I could enjoy it now.

I liked Exodus: Gods and Kings, YHWH was portrayed as a petulant little child. When Moses found out about YHWH's final solution; killing all of the first-born of Egypt, he immediately recoils in horror and tells YHWH that he wants nothing to do with this.

He goes to the Pharoah and pleads with him to release the slaves out of desperation to stop what YHWH is about to do, he's trying to restrain the monster child from his horrific and petulant wrath.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
18-04-2017, 08:09 PM
I love old movies but the Ten Commandments is one of the stupidest movies ever made. Charlton Heston is a crappy, wooden actor. Yul Brynner and Edward G Robertson are the best things in it. But I watch about 15 minutes of it just for a laugh. There's a scene in which Anne Baxter playing Nefertiti says “Oh Moses, you stubborn, splendid, adorable fool!” It's just soooooo lame.

Now if they'd put THIS song in it it would have been a super great movie. Thumbsup

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Over-acted shit.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
18-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Nope. Didn't/don't like it and I can't look at him without thinking about prying his cold, dead hands of firearms.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post