Anyone else like the 10 commandments - the movie.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2017, 08:11 AM
RE: Anyone else like the 10 commandments - the movie.
(19-04-2017 08:49 PM)LifelongAtheist Wrote:  I used to love it, but then Charlton Heston became a lunatic and it lost its appeal. I couldn't separate the person from the actor. Oh well.
I hear you. On the other hand Heston's acting stands on its own and he only became a wingnut when he became an acting has-been. In point of fact, for many many years he was a champion of liberal causes and politics. He began to switch during the Goldwater era, and eventually did a complete flip, proving that people DO tend to become more conservative, all things being equal, with age. His stated politics by the late 1990s would do Trump proud ... very white nationalist rhetoric, quite apart from what he was better known for, his gun rights activism through the NRA. Quite the transformation.

During the same period, he was becoming an alcoholic, and was treated for this in 2000. One suspects he was more conflicted and unhappy than surface appearances suggested.

His last film was a self-financed, direct-to-video animated version of Ben-Hur in which he once again voiced the titular role. As if he were trying to return to the muscular, sinewy sort of heroic roles that Hollywood no longer trades in. I think he correctly diagnosed that progressive politics and areligion were dismantling his familiar world and rendering it unrecognizable. Ultimately, he wasn't able to adapt, or to gracefully step aside. It makes me feel sad for him, really.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2017, 12:42 PM
(20-04-2017 08:11 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(19-04-2017 08:49 PM)LifelongAtheist Wrote:  I used to love it, but then Charlton Heston became a lunatic and it lost its appeal. I couldn't separate the person from the actor. Oh well.
I hear you. On the other hand Heston's acting stands on its own and he only became a wingnut when he became an acting has-been. In point of fact, for many many years he was a champion of liberal causes and politics. He began to switch during the Goldwater era, and eventually did a complete flip, proving that people DO tend to become more conservative, all things being equal, with age. His stated politics by the late 1990s would do Trump proud ... very white nationalist rhetoric, quite apart from what he was better known for, his gun rights activism through the NRA. Quite the transformation.

During the same period, he was becoming an alcoholic, and was treated for this in 2000. One suspects he was more conflicted and unhappy than surface appearances suggested.

His last film was a self-financed, direct-to-video animated version of Ben-Hur in which he once again voiced the titular role. As if he were trying to return to the muscular, sinewy sort of heroic roles that Hollywood no longer trades in. I think he correctly diagnosed that progressive politics and areligion were dismantling his familiar world and rendering it unrecognizable. Ultimately, he wasn't able to adapt, or to gracefully step aside. It makes me feel sad for him, really.
You make some good points. I had no idea he was an alcoholic.

I will say, though, that at age 75 I am not only a lifelong atheist but a lifelong liberal (well, to be accurate, a liberal since I became aware of politics). I have never felt any need to change that in spite of advancing age and more wealth than I had 50 or 60 years ago. My brother, age 71, is the same. I have no idea whether we're rarities or not.
[+] 1 user Likes LifelongAtheist's post
20-04-2017, 12:51 PM
Saw it at the drive-in. Killer boring.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
20-04-2017, 01:14 PM
I liked this film as a child, mostly for the sets & a massive Yul Brynner crush.
Now though, knowing what I know about ancient Egypt, the story is just ludicrous. Dodgy

Now, if we're talking religious films in general, I'm into JCSuperstar - big time. Love that Judas. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-04-2017, 01:21 PM
I liked the film the first time I saw it as a kid, but now that I know what's actually written in the bible I couldn't watch it again without pointing out all the inaccuracies.

I remember trying to watch the "The bible" miniseries on the history channel a few years back and all I could do it was look for all the bits they'd skipped over.

Like the part where the angels were looking for one righteous man in Sodom and they found Lot. I wanted to see how the history channel would handle the part where Lot offers his two virgin daughters to be gang raped by the angry mob (that's what passes for "righteous" in the bible)...they skipped it, of course.

Then I realised that any "accurate" depiction of the bible would never be able to be shown on TV, cause most of the bible would get an NC-17 or 18+ rating.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
20-04-2017, 01:28 PM
(20-04-2017 01:21 PM)unsapien Wrote:  ---
Like the part where the angels were looking for one righteous man in Sodom and they found Lot. I wanted to see how the history channel would handle the part where Lot offers his two virgin daughters to be gang raped by the angry mob (that's what passes for "righteous" in the bible)...they skipped it, of course.

Well then, this will be a treat ...

You're welcome. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-04-2017, 02:16 PM
(20-04-2017 01:14 PM)kim Wrote:  I liked this film as a child, mostly for the sets & a massive Yul Brynner crush.
Now though, knowing what I know about ancient Egypt, the story is just ludicrous. Dodgy

Now, if we're talking religious films in general, I'm into JCSuperstar - big time. Love that Judas. Shy

Yeah. God made Judas do that and then sent him to hell for doing that. Facepalm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2017, 05:45 AM
Hi Contemplator.

I love it and watched it a few months ago for the upteenth time. I also love "Ben-Hur" with Charleton Heston and watched that after viewing the latest version with Jack Huston just to clear my head. The neat touch for me is that we never see Jesus's face in Heston's Ben-Hur, only people's reaction to his presence. That works so much better to bring the emotions of being in the presence of God.

When I was young, movies like these would come on TV once a year around holidays. I love the grandeur. I love the emotional acting. I love the fact that nothing is CGI. Heston was a ham, but what a crush I had on him. Ooh and John Derek....whew, I am tingly all over. And...the chariot race, holy-moly.

Speaking of "Ben-Hur; A Tale of the Christ" now there is a beautifully written novel and one that brought Christians, especially American Christians, into the literary world; that is, it was the only book approved by the Church for reading besides the Bible and in some situations, educational books and newspapers That started the slippery slope, which brought enlightenment to people stuck in dogma.

I don't believe in aliens with acid for blood or flesh-eating zombies or dragons or spiritual warfare...but I love those shows, movies and books too. Aliens, The Walking Dead, Dragon-Riders of Pern, Constantine. I also have a collection of angels...

Entertainment for me means that I get totally involved with the plot and the characters and it doesn't matter what the subject matter is if I am enjoying it. I can make believe for the fun of it.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
21-04-2017, 08:50 AM
(21-04-2017 05:45 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  Hi Contemplator.

I love it and watched it a few months ago for the upteenth time. I also love "Ben-Hur" with Charleton Heston and watched that after viewing the latest version with Jack Huston just to clear my head. The neat touch for me is that we never see Jesus's face in Heston's Ben-Hur, only people's reaction to his presence. That works so much better to bring the emotions of being in the presence of God.

When I was young, movies like these would come on TV once a year around holidays. I love the grandeur. I love the emotional acting. I love the fact that nothing is CGI. Heston was a ham, but what a crush I had on him. Ooh and John Derek....whew, I am tingly all over. And...the chariot race, holy-moly.

Speaking of "Ben-Hur; A Tale of the Christ" now there is a beautifully written novel and one that brought Christians, especially American Christians, into the literary world; that is, it was the only book approved by the Church for reading besides the Bible and in some situations, educational books and newspapers That started the slippery slope, which brought enlightenment to people stuck in dogma.

I don't believe in aliens with acid for blood or flesh-eating zombies or dragons or spiritual warfare...but I love those shows, movies and books too. Aliens, The Walking Dead, Dragon-Riders of Pern, Constantine. I also have a collection of angels...

Entertainment for me means that I get totally involved with the plot and the characters and it doesn't matter what the subject matter is if I am enjoying it. I can make believe for the fun of it.

-Jeanne

I used to live next door to the house Lew Wallace wrote part of the novel in. My Brush With Greatness.
21-04-2017, 09:53 AM
(20-04-2017 02:16 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(20-04-2017 01:14 PM)kim Wrote:  ---
Yeah. God made Judas do that and then sent him to hell for doing that. Facepalm

Nah - some of us weren't damaged as children by the invisible one so, that's not the first place we go. Shy

Judas was a man - a real man. He loved Jesus who was also a real man. He and Mary Magdalene were the only ones who understood this.
They loved a man - not a god.

Judas didn't go to hell, he killed himself because he felt like shit.
In fact, dead Judas was hanging out with dead Jesus in the groovey groovey end. Coolest outfits EVER!

And considering it was only the first Andrew Lloyd Webber extravaganza ... the music was fantastic! Thumbsup