Anyone else like the 10 commandments - the movie.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2017, 10:06 AM
RE: Anyone else like the 10 commandments - the movie.
Quote:Speaking of "Ben-Hur; A Tale of the Christ" now there is a beautifully written novel

The author, Lew Wallace, fucked up seriously in command of the Union 3d Division at Shiloh. He spent the day marching and counter-marching trying to figure out how to get to the battlefield....meanwhile Generals Sherman and Prentiss were getting the shit kicked out of them.

He was removed from command. Eventually he ended up writing shitty novels.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
21-04-2017, 10:16 AM
(21-04-2017 08:50 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  
(21-04-2017 05:45 AM)Jeanne Wrote:  Hi Contemplator.

I love it and watched it a few months ago for the upteenth time. I also love "Ben-Hur" with Charleton Heston and watched that after viewing the latest version with Jack Huston just to clear my head. The neat touch for me is that we never see Jesus's face in Heston's Ben-Hur, only people's reaction to his presence. That works so much better to bring the emotions of being in the presence of God.

When I was young, movies like these would come on TV once a year around holidays. I love the grandeur. I love the emotional acting. I love the fact that nothing is CGI. Heston was a ham, but what a crush I had on him. Ooh and John Derek....whew, I am tingly all over. And...the chariot race, holy-moly.

Speaking of "Ben-Hur; A Tale of the Christ" now there is a beautifully written novel and one that brought Christians, especially American Christians, into the literary world; that is, it was the only book approved by the Church for reading besides the Bible and in some situations, educational books and newspapers That started the slippery slope, which brought enlightenment to people stuck in dogma.

I don't believe in aliens with acid for blood or flesh-eating zombies or dragons or spiritual warfare...but I love those shows, movies and books too. Aliens, The Walking Dead, Dragon-Riders of Pern, Constantine. I also have a collection of angels...

Entertainment for me means that I get totally involved with the plot and the characters and it doesn't matter what the subject matter is if I am enjoying it. I can make believe for the fun of it.

-Jeanne

I used to live next door to the house Lew Wallace wrote part of the novel in. My Brush With Greatness.
Was that Crawfordsville?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2017, 10:37 AM
(20-04-2017 12:42 PM)LifelongAtheist Wrote:  I will say, though, that at age 75 I am not only a lifelong atheist but a lifelong liberal (well, to be accurate, a liberal since I became aware of politics). I have never felt any need to change that in spite of advancing age and more wealth than I had 50 or 60 years ago. My brother, age 71, is the same. I have no idea whether we're rarities or not.
Yeah I am counter to the trend, too; I have gotten more rather than less liberal as I have aged. For me, that's just a side effect of greater intellectual freedom after leaving the faith and politics of my childhood behind.

I haven't really read up on hard numbers but have just always heard that people tend, generally, to become more conservative (or at least less flexible in thinking and more change resistant) as they age. It also makes intuitive sense. Every generation since time immemorial has claimed that everything has turned to shit since their salad days. That is simply because everything always changes, the goalposts / cheese always moves, and a lot of it is just cyclic hue and cry and you become detached from it and its faux importance as you gain a greater perspective on what passes for the great scheme of things.

I think it's a matter of perspective; my (step)children probably see me as conservative and old-school because my ideas about what constitutes things like integrity, responsibility, effective communication, and intimacy have remained pretty much the same while the world has largely moved on. I don't take in the world primarily via social media, despite being an IT worker who gets hundreds of emails per day. On the other hand, I have gone the opposite direction metaphysically and politically; I am less rather than more authoritarian for example. I guess it's a question of your response to change. I feel obligated neither to embrace change for change's sake (which you could argue means I'm still a conservative in the sense that word was used 50 years ago) nor to resist change of any kind or to control what change others embrace (which is more in line with modern so-called conservatism, which might better be called fascism or at least fascistic conservatism).

As for religion, I never was at peace with the self-contradicting and ultimately dishonest tenets of my faith of origin, and so it can simply be argued that I left behind those as if they were ill-fitting clothes.
21-04-2017, 11:30 AM
(21-04-2017 10:16 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(21-04-2017 08:50 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  I used to live next door to the house Lew Wallace wrote part of the novel in. My Brush With Greatness.
Was that Crawfordsville?

Indianapolis. In Woodruff Place.
21-04-2017, 11:44 AM
(21-04-2017 11:30 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  
(21-04-2017 10:16 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Was that Crawfordsville?

Indianapolis. In Woodruff Place.
Ah. It was extremely unlikely that anyone I'd meet on the Internet had been to Crawfordsville.
21-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Well...Minimalist, some people don't like to read and if you found the novel to be "shitty" then you might be one of them.

Some novelists write using language in a beautiful manner and it is a pleasure to enjoy such works of fiction. Pearl S. Buck and Taylor Caldwell always bring a sigh of pleasurable indulgence to me when I return to their novels for the weaving of a majestic tale using wonderful phrasing in a language and style that isn't often found anymore.

But...I love Dean Koontz's novels as well and consider him to be a master of most conveyed with fewest words.

Lew Wallace's novel transported people via words to a land that was far outside their narrow existence and opened up the world of that era to them, engaging them in imagination, which was not something they had been afforded prior to this. This was the first novel to be granted that approval in American churches and homes under strict Christian control.

The fact that it is a beautifully written story was just a bonus for them.

-Jeanne

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
21-04-2017, 12:49 PM
(21-04-2017 12:40 PM)Jeanne Wrote:  Well...Minimalist, some people don't like to read and if you found the novel to be "shitty" then you might be one of them.
Well also, it wouldn't surprise me that the very thing that made Wallace a shitty general made him a great novelist.

I agree with you, it's a good read.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
24-04-2017, 08:56 AM
(21-04-2017 11:44 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(21-04-2017 11:30 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  Indianapolis. In Woodruff Place.
Ah. It was extremely unlikely that anyone I'd meet on the Internet had been to Crawfordsville.

Oh, I've been there. By mistake. And got out fast. Big Grin
24-04-2017, 09:49 AM
(24-04-2017 08:56 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  
(21-04-2017 11:44 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Ah. It was extremely unlikely that anyone I'd meet on the Internet had been to Crawfordsville.

Oh, I've been there. By mistake. And got out fast. Big Grin

I usually went through it at (I-70 speed Limit + "tolerance" + a little bit on the side) mph.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
24-04-2017, 08:37 PM
Quote:Well...Minimalist, some people don't like to read and if you found the novel to be "shitty" then you might be one of them.

I prefer non-fiction to fiction but that over-blown 19th century style of writing leaves me cold. Give me a good history or archaeology book anytime.

And the movie, aside from the chariot race, was just as bad.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!