Anyone else like the 10 commandments - the movie.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-04-2017, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2017 08:23 AM by mordant.)
RE: Anyone else like the 10 commandments - the movie.
(24-04-2017 08:37 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Well...Minimalist, some people don't like to read and if you found the novel to be "shitty" then you might be one of them.

I prefer non-fiction to fiction but that over-blown 19th century style of writing leaves me cold. Give me a good history or archaeology book anytime.

And the movie, aside from the chariot race, was just as bad.
I think Ben-Hur the movie (1925 or 1959) was far less overwrought and melodramatic than The Ten Commandments (1923 or 1956). That's a function of the latter, in both cases, being the output of Cecil B DeMille who was interested in pandering to old-style authoritarian clerics, vs less doctrinaire producers who were interested in doing justice to a literary classic and general notions of morality. It's also somewhat the difference between an original screenplay and an adaptation.

I enjoy Ben-Hur for content way more than The Ten Commandments. It has actual human interest, it's not just an old religious painting brought to life. Are there moments of maudlin sentiment in it, particularly towards the end? Sure. Are they ubiquitous? No. At heart, Ben-Hur is a standard revenge-and-redemption narrative with religious overlays and epic elements.

I do agree that the climactic chariot race (and Messalah's death scene just after) is the best part. Although the sea battle ("We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well, and live") and certain other scenes aren't too shabby either.

I guess what I'm saying is Ben-Hur has far more non-sectarian, relatable universal themes on offer than The Ten Commandments, which is more a pean to a specific authoritarian religious interpretation. I would say Ben-Hur is more timeless and ages far better.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2017, 08:13 AM
(21-04-2017 10:06 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:Speaking of "Ben-Hur; A Tale of the Christ" now there is a beautifully written novel

The author, Lew Wallace, fucked up seriously in command of the Union 3d Division at Shiloh. He spent the day marching and counter-marching trying to figure out how to get to the battlefield....meanwhile Generals Sherman and Prentiss were getting the shit kicked out of them.

He was removed from command. Eventually he ended up writing shitty novels.

(21-04-2017 10:06 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  ....meanwhile Generals Sherman and Prentiss were getting the shit kicked out of them.

Dodgy Hey, wait a minute, Sherman is my great, great, great uncle. He came back with a vengeance later on. Burn, baby, burn! Evil_monster

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-04-2017, 08:20 AM
(25-04-2017 08:13 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Burn, baby, burn! Evil_monster

Now I have Disco Inferno stuck in my head.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
25-04-2017, 08:46 AM
(25-04-2017 08:20 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(25-04-2017 08:13 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Burn, baby, burn! Evil_monster

Now I have Disco Inferno stuck in my head.
Better an ear worm than dialogue from The 10 Commandments.

Popcorn

Yul Brynner: I'm going to have ALL of you. Drooling

Anne Baxter: Do you think my kiss is a promise of what you'll have? No, my pompous one. To let you know what you will NOT have. I could never love you. Girl_nails

Brynner: Does that matter? You will be my wife. You'll come to me whenever I call you......and I will enjoy that very much. Flex Whether you enjoy it or not is your own affair. Beat_stick

Hahaha. "No, my pompous one." <-----Laugh out load Who wrote that? It's so bad I think I'll use it on the next Christian troll that comes here.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post