Anyone else psyched for Gravity?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2013, 05:33 PM
RE: Anyone else psyched for Gravity?
(05-10-2013 04:14 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 04:08 PM)germanyt Wrote:  Never saw Solaris but Gravity has a 94/100 metascore and is a must see by every critic that has reviewed it. Go see the movie. It's epic.
I just watched Host which has a 9% ratting on rotton tomatoes, I think it was pretty good.
I also loved Water World which bombed out at the box office.
I hate Piano and English Patient which both were critically acclaimed.

I don't put much weight on what the critics think.

I also loved Waterworld. The Piano was a fantastic film as well.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2013, 06:56 AM
(05-10-2013 09:53 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(05-10-2013 07:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Did they botch the science?

How do you mean? I didn't notice anything scientifically impossible.

Oh good.
Might be worth a download by the sounds of it.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
12-10-2013, 11:20 PM
LOVED IT

Overall I loved it. Yes, there was quite a bit of unsound science (you only have to follow Neil Degrasse Tyson on twitter or check buzz feed for some of that shiz) such as the tear scene- COME ON! It sucks to know something simple like 'float' or fall away' doesn't happen, but I get it- it was still even enjoyable in 3D. However, every movie or TV show has this- Grey's Anatomy with all their doctors doing the impossible, good guys getting all their SWAT shots and the bad guys hardly any, etc- every genre has their weakness in Hollywood. But overall Gravity was so enjoyable.

Another thing enjoyable in 3D is Sandra (some Drooling - sorry, I don't have the Clooney vision either, but damn Sandra!)

I loved seeing Space- sweet, silent Space- but I enjoyed the storyline also. I read an article *(digs up online somewhere*... -perhaps some spoiler alert if you check it out- here ) about the concept from the director and that helped me understand a little more, so I maybe enjoyed it slightly more than my companions, but I thought there were beautiful moments. It was deffinately a thriller, but a lot of feeling (crying for me) and some life innuendo made it good for me. I probably personally set myself up for that though, I'm such a sap.

Now, I want to see it in an empty theatre or at home so there isn't so much popcorn/pop-sipping/burping going on, to really get in the mood.

Heart SPACE Heart
13-10-2013, 12:16 AM
I loved it. I saw it last week but figured I better not say anything. I can't say what I loved best because it would kill it for those who haven't seen it yet.
Edge of seat.
Space is beautiful.
Gravity is tough.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
14-10-2013, 07:14 PM
I saw it just a few days ago. Really enjoyed it. I won't to go into great detail so I do not spoil it for anyone but I can comfortably give it a "thumbs up."

"You can stick your moral standards, because it's all a dirty lie" -Bon Scott
15-10-2013, 07:39 PM
I watched it. I think all should watch it. It's good.. That's all I'll say.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
22-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Just saw it. The movie was awesome. They got a lot of it accurate, very accurate. If anything, that made the inaccuracies worse, because they stood out so much. But that's really a testament to how good they made the rest of it.

Warning: Spoilers below contain actual spoilers.

I only read the scientific criticism after I saw the movie. Turns out that I either called most of the errors, or were at least suspicious that they were errors. Didn't peg that the fire would put itself out by driving away all the oxygen and I didn't know about the cooled long-johns and diapers they wear under the suits. Most of it I'll write off as necessary for the story and, really, it's better than almost any scifi film out there.

.... is this really scifi? It was more like a disaster film. Not counting the tech inaccuracies that will be in almost any genre, this isn't so much "science fiction" as "story set in real-world space with real tech".

There was only one inaccuracy that really got me. That's the part (still trying not to spoiler too much) where she's got her foot tangled up in some cords and there's some important baggage at the end of the tether, and because of some mysterious non-existent force that's still somehow pulling her away and the tenuous connection back to the station, she lost the baggage. And there was no reason for that, none, because we were already stopped relative to the station and the added mass wouldn't have made her situation precarious at all. Any of the other inaccuracies I could have dismissed, saying, "the story needed it", but within five minutes I'd thought up a rewrite that would have serviced the story just as well without the inaccuracy, and also made the scene even more frantic. And having that alternative made that one scene DOUBLY pointless.

Also, the part where she wants prayed for bugged me a bit.

All in all, excellent movie despite the few inaccuracies. Which is what everyone else is saying, so why'd I bother to say it?

(12-10-2013 11:20 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Heart SPACE Heart

[Image: space.jpg]
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post