Anyone else?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 08:53 AM
RE: Anyone else?
(20-02-2014 05:57 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 05:48 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Well, let's be fair here. He didn't say he hasn't read it. He said he hasn't read it as one reads a regular book -- i.e., he didn't start at the beginning and read straight through to the end. And that's perfectly OK with the Bible, since it's not a regular book -- it's a collection of many different books, some of them pretty much unrelated to most of the others (Job, for instance). He did say elsewhere that he has read all of it (or almost all), just not in sequence.

I don't support Drich or his wild fantasies in any way, but c'mon -- he gives us plenty of ammunition for legitimate criticism. There's no need to make stuff up.

You can cherry pick books and stories to fit your preconceived notions, though you can't do that if you read it as a whole. That is the problem.

Why do you all speak in generalities, and without specific references?

Oh, that's right. Your making stuff up, and rather than try and go head to head with anything you speak in popular generalities in hopes of avoiding a real confrontation.

This is known as shouting from the side lines.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2014, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2014 09:10 AM by Im_Ryan.)
(21-02-2014 08:53 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 05:57 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  You can cherry pick books and stories to fit your preconceived notions, though you can't do that if you read it as a whole. That is the problem.

Why do you all speak in generalities, and without specific references?

Oh, that's right. Your making stuff up, and rather than try and go head to head with anything you speak in popular generalities in hopes of avoiding a real confrontation.

I have given you specific examples. I gave you four to start with. You only dismissed 3, in a very shaky argument that I don't agree with. You still have yet (to my knowledge) to the answer the fourth. Also, if you'd like, we can start a boxing thread where I just point out what I perceived to be contradictions in the Bible. I have no problem with this, there are hundreds of examples.

So please, stop speaking from ignorance. It makes you come off as an arrogant prick. Just being honest here, I know I'm not the only one to point this out to you.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
21-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Hey, I'll have a go.

We can do a role reversal thing. I'll pick an extremely unrealistic book/movie/whatever and then argue to you that it's actually real.

Bet ya I can sidestep as "well" as you do.

Tongue
21-02-2014, 09:04 AM
(20-02-2014 07:49 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 05:48 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Well, let's be fair here. He didn't say he hasn't read it. He said he hasn't read it as one reads a regular book -- i.e., he didn't start at the beginning and read straight through to the end. And that's perfectly OK with the Bible, since it's not a regular book -- it's a collection of many different books, some of them pretty much unrelated to most of the others (Job, for instance). He did say elsewhere that he has read all of it (or almost all), just not in sequence.

I don't support Drich or his wild fantasies in any way, but c'mon -- he gives us plenty of ammunition for legitimate criticism. There's no need to make stuff up.

I haven't made anything up. He has gone through some guided bullshit and doesn't know if he has read all of it or not. And he is demonstrating his abject ignorance of the book he claims to be expert on every day, and several people here are pointing that out.

He has read the bible in it's entirity, just Not As One Reads a Regular Book. I read it through a reading plan that pairs principles stories and ideals so one can see the interconectivity of the bible and how all of it relates. Further more i have said I the more popular books i read several times a year. Not to mention all of the back work I have done in looking up passages in the greek or hebrew.

So, again your just make stuff up so you do not have to confront me. Which is fine, and I understand. Just know I know.. and now so do all of your friends.

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
21-02-2014, 09:05 AM
(21-02-2014 02:41 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 11:14 AM)Drich Wrote:  If I do not fully understand the question or where your comming from then how can I hope to answer it? do you want stock answers?

I will be trying to make the questions as simple and concise as possible. But even so, if you do not understand the question then just say so. In such a case I will try to make the question simpler for you to understand or explain it in a different way.

And if you don't know the answer just do what atheists say and respond "I don't know".
I will say I don't know or I need more information to answer this question and leave it at that. So shoot.

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

21-02-2014, 09:28 AM
(21-02-2014 09:05 AM)Drich Wrote:  I will say I don't know or I need more information to answer this question and leave it at that. So shoot.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-questions
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
21-02-2014, 09:34 AM
(21-02-2014 08:44 AM)le_bard Wrote:  I still want to know what is faith and why do we need it, I get a different answer every time I try and ask about it.
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

We need it as shows our willingness or humility to do what God asks. Your next question should be how much 'faith' do we need? If you asked that I would have got to tell you all you need is the faith of the size of a mustard seed. (which is very very small.) According to Christ if you took this amount of faith and placed it in Him you could move mountains of doubt.

Quote:Plus, with logic, reasoning, and trust based on evidence I don't see why religion gets to have a special word for what sounds like to me a trust/conviction in the non demonstrable. Simplifying shit to "things not seen" just make people sound naive even though this isn't true.
You making an assumption that Christ does not offer any of these things which means your 'faith' question was a loaded one. Because here you persume to know what faith is or otherwise you could not have made these statements accuratly... How's that for logic and reason?Smartass

Quote:Also, the way drich described his god I really want to know how he got to the conclusion that the god he read about even exists.
When I A/S/K as outlined in Luke 11 I was given a measure of the Holy Spirit. In essence God Himself became apart of me.

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

21-02-2014, 09:35 AM
(21-02-2014 09:00 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 08:53 AM)Drich Wrote:  Why do you all speak in generalities, and without specific references?

I have given you specific examples. I gave you four to start with. You only dismissed 3, in a very shaky argument that I don't agree with. You still have yet (to my knowledge) to the answer the fourth. Also, if you'd like, we can start a boxing thread where I just point out what I perceived to be contradictions in the Bible. I have no problem with this, there are hundreds of examples.

So please, stop speaking from ignorance. It makes you come off as an arrogant prick. Just being honest here, I know I'm not the only one to point this out to you.

The only reason I skip questions is if I've answered them a bunch of times before. Or I simply miss them. what were your question/concerns again?

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

21-02-2014, 09:58 AM
(21-02-2014 09:35 AM)Drich Wrote:  The only reason I skip questions is if I've answered them a bunch of times before. Or I simply miss them. what were your question/concerns again?

Here is the quote:
(19-02-2014 01:18 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  OK, I'll start with Genesis (not to be unoriginal, but to start from the beginning):

Starting out in Genesis, why does the Bible immediately contradict itself with two creation stories?
IE: Genesis 1:1-2:3 then Genesis 2:4-25.

Each tells a different story. Which leads me to ask many questions, such as:
  1. When were plants created?
  2. Were humans created before or after the other animals?
  3. Does God work on the Sabbath?
  4. When was Eve created?

Just to name a few. How do you explain this?

Bible references (so you know I'm not making anything up):
  1. Plants were created before humans.
    (Genesis 1:11-13, 27-31)
    Plants were created after humans.
    (Genesis 2:4-9)
  2. After the other animals.
    (Genesis 1:25-27)
    Before the other animals.
    (Genesis 2:18-19)
  3. Yes.
    (John 5:16-17) I know it's not in Genesis, but still counts.
    No.
    (Genesis 2:2-3)
  4. At the same time as Adam.
    (Genesis 1:27)
    After Adam and all the animals were created.
    (Genesis 2:20-22)

I've tried to make this as easy as possible, including the addition of references and the organization of my post. If I have not made myself clear in any way, please let me know you are in need of clarification.

You attempted to dismiss questions #1, 2, and 4 by stating:
(19-02-2014 04:50 PM)Drich Wrote:  In In the Jewish verbal tradition of telling a story it is customary to start with an out line and then when all of the main events are established, it is then colored in. In this 'coloring in' Chronology is not the primary guide line.

Genesis 1 is the out line

Genesis 2:4 forward is the coloring in.

Genesis 1 establishes the time line so your questions based on chronology can be answered in genesis 1.

Which I do not believe is an answer. Chronology is a necessity in a creation story. Unless you provide me with that link backing up your claim that you said you have, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

As for question #3, you did not even touch it. I'm curious, did you even look at the references provided? Or check the links? I'm being serious.

Atir aissom atir imon
21-02-2014, 10:03 AM
(21-02-2014 08:44 AM)le_bard Wrote:  I still want to know what is faith and why do we need it, I get a different answer every time I try and ask about it.

Faith in the religious sense, is asserting belief in abject crap that deep down, you know isn't true.

Quote:Also, the way drich described his god I really want to know how he got to the conclusion that the god he read about even exists.

This is his starting assumption, not a conclusion. All the blathering about the Bible is apologetics, not analysis.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.