Anyone else?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2014, 11:33 AM
RE: Anyone else?
"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened."

So if you based so much of your faith on this passage in the book of Luke, what do have to say about the line right after the ask, seek, knock crap you keep shoveling? I, and many others have asked (and did not recieve), and seeked (but did not find). I mean it damn well says that everyone who asks will recieve (I assume this refers to the holy spirit). I am sure you will rationalize and make up an answer that supports your claims, but to me this passage is a flat out lie. Again if want to keep pushing the first satement as the only correct way to truth, you will need to accept the next sentence as truth - "everyone who asks recieves". FALSE.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
19-02-2014, 11:35 AM
(18-02-2014 10:44 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Try reading it like a book. Honestly, it's a whole new experience.
You can nit pick and read certain chapters regarding a certain subject(s), but that does nothing for you. You've said so in your post, "to rightly divide God's word". I understand the concept of attempting to understand it, but that is not how it is written.
You do know that the bible was not written in the order it appears correct? If one were to read it in accordance as to how it was written then it would be more confusing. It has been compiled the way it has been printed to group together ideas and to help establish a chronolgy.

Quote:You don't read Harry Potter in sections do you?
The word bible means a book of many books. We do not read it like Harry potter because it is not written like harry potter. Harry potter was one story one theme written by one author. The bible can be subdivided into many different caragories. Orgins, Man/Jews, historical account of the Jewish people, Prophesy, Poetry, songs, Salvation, Record of Jesus' life. The orgins of the Church, the struggles and mataince of the Church, The last days.

Again many different books, many different authors, many different ideas and purposes, under one cover. The bible in it's most popular form as been compiled as such so as to give the reader some idea of a time line concerning principles and events. If one's study ever goes beyond simple and basic chronology then reading it order becomes pointless.

Quote:Even the really weird magical crap that if you're not a total harry potter nerd you won't get (trust me, I'm not a fan). No, you read the thing from start to finish and only then will you get a real understanding.
Smile

Quote:Personally, I have done both. I have studied the Bible like you claim, but I have also just read it. Why? It was a challenge from my father when started to get really good at the whole Christianity thing. After I read it, that was when I really started to question things, and eventually become an atheist (of course, not so cut and dry, but for sake of simplicity I'll leave it at that).
There is absolutly no aspect of the bible I have not read, questioned and found an answer to. that is why i am here. I have run out of my questions and I seek yours to continue to challenge God with and so that I may learn and continue to grow.

Quote:So here's a challenge for you, if an atheist has done it, why haven't you? Read the Bible from start to finish. No nit picking, chapter selection, etc. Read it like you would a book.
I will. now what?

Maybe in the year or so it will take me to do this you can share some of the troubling things you found in reading your bible from cover to cover. Tell me of these faith ending problems you have unlocked so that I too can recognise them when I come across them.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
19-02-2014, 11:43 AM
(19-02-2014 11:35 AM)Drich Wrote:  
Quote:So here's a challenge for you, if an atheist has done it, why haven't you? Read the Bible from start to finish. No nit picking, chapter selection, etc. Read it like you would a book.
I will. now what?

Maybe in the year or so it will take me to do this you can share some of the troubling things you found in reading your bible from cover to cover. Tell me of these faith ending problems you have unlocked so that I too can recognise them when I come across them.

First few pages of Genesis - there is your hint to the first troubling problem that should end your faith. That was easy.

Boy you are one cocky, nasty, stubborn arse (I mean good christain).Big Grin

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
19-02-2014, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2014 12:03 PM by Youkay.)
(19-02-2014 11:17 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(18-02-2014 10:32 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I have a question for you; do you think Christianity is any more believable than Pinocchio?

believable how?

How can you ask such an irrelevant, insignificant and unproductive question?! It demonstrates that you are either a dim-wit or a nitpick.

In case you don't know English, here is the definition of "believe":

believe: accept that (something) is true

This is why people think you are either intellectually incapacitated or dishonest.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 4 users Like Youkay's post
19-02-2014, 12:01 PM
(19-02-2014 11:35 AM)Drich Wrote:  There is absolutly no aspect of the bible I have not read, questioned and found an answer to. that is why i am here. I have run out of my questions and I seek yours to continue to challenge God with and so that I may learn and continue to grow.

This is so frustrating! So you confess to us that you do not have questions to challenge the bible? That goes to show that you are a lack-wit. Even in most established and reviewed scientific findings, people are able to ask questions. Tons of questions. And a lot of them go unanswered.

Yet here you stand, as a proud christian, and tell us you ran out of questions? Regarding the... BIBLE!?! *double face-palm* I need more hands...

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 3 users Like Youkay's post
19-02-2014, 12:07 PM
(19-02-2014 11:35 AM)Drich Wrote:  I will. now what?

A year or so!? It's only about 1200 pages. If you spend 30 minutes a day on it, and you have an average reading speed of about a minute per page, it'll take you about 40 days to get through it. Think of that as your 40 days in the desert and make it a goal.

(edit: do you wonder why a bunch of atheists are encouraging you to actually read the whole Bible?)

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
19-02-2014, 12:21 PM
(19-02-2014 12:07 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 11:35 AM)Drich Wrote:  I will. now what?

A year or so!? It's only about 1200 pages. If you spend 30 minutes a day on it, and you have an average reading speed of about a minute per page, it'll take you about 40 days to get through it. Think of that as your 40 days in the desert and make it a goal.

(edit: do you wonder why a bunch of atheists are encouraging you to actually read the whole Bible?)

Well that just goes to show he has never read it. Of course we knew that from his stupid blatherings about what he "thinks" is in there.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
19-02-2014, 12:22 PM
(18-02-2014 05:03 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(18-02-2014 01:45 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Questions should be given the most direct answer possible

....but............ everyone knows this ^^ doesn't work with you. It's odd how you think you answer questions when you really don't. And it also doesn't matter how many people, how many times, etc point that out to you. You're so convinced that you've answered.

LOL

so..........

yeah............... don't think so. There's no debate with you. You might consider just continue to talk to yourself. That's mostly what you do in a forum anyway.
Thumbsup

I know what your speaking of. The problem is, you guys will ask a question you think you know the answer to. When I give a different answer you do know what to think or do, so you put it back on me for not answering the question the way you think I should have answered it.

The ironic thing? 1/2 You all accuse me of not thinking outside the box, then at the same time the other 1/2 can't even recognize the box I am think outside of.

Why? Because most of you think you understand what biblical Christianity is, but in reality do not have a clue. So when I give and answer to a very specific question.. You don't know how to respond so you assume I am avoiding the question.

Ok - I can see where that ^ works for you but in all seriousness until you can respond in a rational manner that makes SENSE to people HERE........... we've really not got much - do we?

So........
there's thatThumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
19-02-2014, 12:24 PM
(19-02-2014 11:35 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(18-02-2014 10:44 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Try reading it like a book. Honestly, it's a whole new experience.
You can nit pick and read certain chapters regarding a certain subject(s), but that does nothing for you. You've said so in your post, "to rightly divide God's word". I understand the concept of attempting to understand it, but that is not how it is written.
You do know that the bible was not written in the order it appears correct? If one were to read it in accordance as to how it was written then it would be more confusing. It has been compiled the way it has been printed to group together ideas and to help establish a chronolgy.

Quote:You don't read Harry Potter in sections do you?
The word bible means a book of many books. We do not read it like Harry potter because it is not written like harry potter. Harry potter was one story one theme written by one author. The bible can be subdivided into many different caragories. Orgins, Man/Jews, historical account of the Jewish people, Prophesy, Poetry, songs, Salvation, Record of Jesus' life. The orgins of the Church, the struggles and mataince of the Church, The last days.

Again many different books, many different authors, many different ideas and purposes, under one cover. The bible in it's most popular form as been compiled as such so as to give the reader some idea of a time line concerning principles and events. If one's study ever goes beyond simple and basic chronology then reading it order becomes pointless.

Quote:Even the really weird magical crap that if you're not a total harry potter nerd you won't get (trust me, I'm not a fan). No, you read the thing from start to finish and only then will you get a real understanding.
Smile

Quote:Personally, I have done both. I have studied the Bible like you claim, but I have also just read it. Why? It was a challenge from my father when started to get really good at the whole Christianity thing. After I read it, that was when I really started to question things, and eventually become an atheist (of course, not so cut and dry, but for sake of simplicity I'll leave it at that).
There is absolutly no aspect of the bible I have not read, questioned and found an answer to. that is why i am here. I have run out of my questions and I seek yours to continue to challenge God with and so that I may learn and continue to grow.

I will. now what?

Simple fact of the matter is:

You operate from a sense of FAITH and cannot answer questions without it.
Members HERE require answers void of faith.

done

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
19-02-2014, 01:15 PM
(19-02-2014 11:35 AM)Drich Wrote:  Maybe in the year or so it will take me to do this you can share some of the troubling things you found in reading your bible from cover to cover. Tell me of these faith ending problems you have unlocked so that I too can recognise them when I come across them.

Okay, here is the first problem I run into...

Genesis 1
New International Version (NIV)

The Beginning
1 In the beginning God...

Wait a second...what the fuck is this "God" thing?! And how the fuck can we trust the person writing this book?

[+] 2 users Like Raptor Jesus's post