Anyone else?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2014, 04:47 PM
RE: Anyone else?
Christianity is faith based.

Who authored the original scriptures found in the book of Genesis?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2014, 04:50 PM
(19-02-2014 01:18 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  OK, I'll start with Genesis (not to be unoriginal, but to start from the beginning):

Starting out in Genesis, why does the Bible immediately contradict itself with two creation stories?
IE: Genesis 1:1-2:3 then Genesis 2:4-25.

Each tells a different story. Which leads me to ask many questions, such as:
  1. When were plants created?
  2. Were humans created before or after the other animals?
  3. Does God work on the Sabbath?
  4. When was Eve created?

Just to name a few. How do you explain this?

Bible references (so you know I'm not making anything up):
  1. Plants were created before humans.
    (Genesis 1:11-13, 27-31)
    Plants were created after humans.
    (Genesis 2:4-9)
  2. After the other animals.
    (Genesis 1:25-27)
    Before the other animals.
    (Genesis 2:18-19)
  3. Yes.
    (John 5:16-17) I know it's not in Genesis, but still counts.
    No.
    (Genesis 2:2-3)
  4. At the same time as Adam.
    (Genesis 1:27)
    After Adam and all the animals were created.
    (Genesis 2:20-22)

I've tried to make this as easy as possible, including the addition of references and the organization of my post. If I have not made myself clear in any way, please let me know you are in need of clarification.

In In the Jewish verbal tradition of telling a story it is customary to start with an out line and then when all of the main events are established, it is then colored in. In this 'coloring in' Chronology is not the primary guide line.

Genesis 1 is the out line

Genesis 2:4 forward is the coloring in.

Genesis 1 establishes the time line so your questions based on chronology can be answered in genesis 1.

The Index: A/S/K Ask Seek Knock as outlined by Luke 11:5-13
Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
19-02-2014, 04:52 PM
(19-02-2014 01:25 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Drich, another simple question in regard to the book of genesis: who were the authors? Can you take a crazy bunch of stories as true without even knowing 100% who the original writer was?
Many believe The Father's of Judaism were the sources of the authorship of genesis, They were privy to what their father knew and witnessed and added to the collective till Moses/Arron compiled it to what is now known as the book of Genesis.

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

If you want to ask me a question feel free to Pm me or E/M me. I will not speak of it to anyone.
19-02-2014, 04:55 PM
(19-02-2014 04:50 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 01:18 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  OK, I'll start with Genesis (not to be unoriginal, but to start from the beginning):

Starting out in Genesis, why does the Bible immediately contradict itself with two creation stories?
IE: Genesis 1:1-2:3 then Genesis 2:4-25.

Each tells a different story. Which leads me to ask many questions, such as:
  1. When were plants created?
  2. Were humans created before or after the other animals?
  3. Does God work on the Sabbath?
  4. When was Eve created?

Just to name a few. How do you explain this?

Bible references (so you know I'm not making anything up):
  1. Plants were created before humans.
    (Genesis 1:11-13, 27-31)
    Plants were created after humans.
    (Genesis 2:4-9)
  2. After the other animals.
    (Genesis 1:25-27)
    Before the other animals.
    (Genesis 2:18-19)
  3. Yes.
    (John 5:16-17) I know it's not in Genesis, but still counts.
    No.
    (Genesis 2:2-3)
  4. At the same time as Adam.
    (Genesis 1:27)
    After Adam and all the animals were created.
    (Genesis 2:20-22)

I've tried to make this as easy as possible, including the addition of references and the organization of my post. If I have not made myself clear in any way, please let me know you are in need of clarification.

In In the Jewish verbal tradition of telling a story it is customary to start with an out line and then when all of the main events are established, it is then colored in. In this 'coloring in' Chronology is not the primary guide line.

Genesis 1 is the out line

Genesis 2:4 forward is the coloring in.

Genesis 1 establishes the time line so your questions based on chronology can be answered in genesis 1.

OK, well I'm no Jewish history buff. So I'll assume you're right.
First is the outline, then the "coloring in". OK, got it. (no sarcasm intended).
Just one problem: In order to properly "color in", you must color inside the lines, not make a new picture. Using my cited examples, please explain why the Bible isn't directly contradicting itself.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
19-02-2014, 04:56 PM
(19-02-2014 04:52 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 01:25 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Drich, another simple question in regard to the book of genesis: who were the authors? Can you take a crazy bunch of stories as true without even knowing 100% who the original writer was?
Many believe The Father's of Judaism were the sources of the authorship of genesis, They were privy to what their father knew and witnessed and added to the collective till Moses/Arron compiled it to what is now known as the book of Genesis.

That is a heck of a guess - so you don't know.Unsure

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
19-02-2014, 04:59 PM
(19-02-2014 04:01 PM)Drich Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 12:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I didn't read your YouKay debate.

How about "teaching about creation in schools"?
That will be fine, but it will probably be a short debate.

Cool. Short is appropriate for my attention span.

You start it and then let me know.

Cheers

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-02-2014, 04:59 PM
(19-02-2014 01:28 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 01:15 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  And how the fuck can we trust the person writing this book?

This is the most important question. The second most important thing is: even if we thought that the authors were genuine in their beliefs in what they wrote, how can we trust God? He's the least trustworthy entity in the whole book. Even more so than Satan. YHWH gives us rules we need to follow, including not lying, and then he constantly breaks his own rules.

If YHWH has no moral imperative to not kill us, how do we know he's not lying to us?

why would the author of a rule be subject to it?

Even in soceity there are those who can speed, run red lights and yes are allowed to shoot people. are they subject to the same rules and laws you are ? why?

Why is it ok to deem those of use the right to be above the law while others are subject to it.

The honest answer is the those who are above the law are so because they have soceity best intrest at heart.

With God He is the Alpha and Omega. there is no standard or being above Him. What is right is right because He says it is Right, and what is wrong is wrong simply because He says it is wrong. To have a standard above God that dictates right and wrong to God would mean God was not all powerful. Therefore not God.

That is why we can extrapolate the defination of sin as anything not in the Expressed will of God. This means If God so wills it then it is not a sin. Which inturn means the acts of lying killing stealing etc.. have no intrinisic righteous value in of themselves. what gives or lables these acts as righteous or unrighteous is what God has to say about them.

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

19-02-2014, 05:00 PM
(19-02-2014 01:34 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 11:17 AM)Drich Wrote:  believable how?

Webster’s Dictionary defines “believable” as…

be•liev•able
adjective \-ˈlē-və-bəl\

Definition of BELIEVABLE:
capable of being believed especially as within the range of known possibility or probability
— be•liev•abil•i•ty \-ˌlē-və-ˈbi-lə-tē\ noun
— be•liev•ably \-ˈlē-və-blē\ adverb

Examples of BELIEVABLE

1. <she had a believable excuse for missing the deadline>

First Known Use of BELIEVABLE
14th century

Related to BELIEVABLE

Synonyms
CREDIBLE, CREDITABLE, LIKELY, PLAUSIBLE, PRESUMPTIVE, PROBABLE
Antonyms
FAR-FETCHED, IMPLAUSIBLE, IMPROBABLE, INCREDIBLE, UNBELIEVABLE, UNLIKELY, UNPLAUSIBLE
Related Words
COGENT, COMPELLING, CONCLUSIVE, CONVINCING, DECISIVE, EFFECTIVE, FORCEFUL, PERSUASIVE, SATISFYING, STRONG, TELLING; ACCEPTABLE, COGITABLE, CONCEIVABLE, IMAGINABLE, POSSIBLE, PRACTICAL, REASONABLE; DEPENDABLE, RELIABLE, TRUSTWORTHY; SOPHISTIC (or SOPHISTICAL), SPECIOUS
Near Antonyms
ABSURD, DOUBTFUL, DUBIOUS, FANTASTIC (also FANTASTICAL), FLIMSY, OUTLANDISH, PREPOSTEROUS, QUESTIONABLE, RIDICULOUS; IMPOSSIBLE, INCONCEIVABLE, UNIMAGINABLE, UNTHINKABLE; SKEPTICAL, SUSPECT, SUSPICIOUS, UNCERTAIN, UNSURE; HOPELESS, UNWORKABLE, USELESS
Rhymes with BELIEVABLE
ACHIEVABLE, CONCEIVABLE, DECEIVABLE, PERCEIVABLE, RECEIVABLE, RELIEVABLE, RETRIEVABLE

Hopefully that clears that up. Now, with all due respect, please answer the fucking question.

Then yes there are aspects of Pinoc's story that are just as believable as the bible.

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

19-02-2014, 05:05 PM
(19-02-2014 04:12 PM)War Horse Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 04:01 PM)Drich Wrote:  That will be fine, but it will probably be a short debate.

Because you already have your mind made up.... and thats, that.

Get out in the real world much? FFS, why do I even bother? Drinking Beverage

It will be a short debate because of what I believe, and how it relates to what is currently being taught.

Do you at least open you mind on sunny days?

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit

19-02-2014, 05:09 PM
(19-02-2014 04:21 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 04:14 PM)Drich Wrote:  How to proceed? One few if anyone outside of a charasmatic Chruch asks for the Holy Spirit.
Or Two In your paragraph you spoke to those who asked and sought...

Consider hmmm I guess we will go with 2

The passage in Luke 11 does not say ask and seek.

It says Ask Seek and Knock. If your not currently knocking then you did not follow the instructions found in Luke 11.

Thanks for the non-answer once again. Jackass.

It's not a non answer. Luke 11 says Ask Seek KNOCK. Not Ask seek as you reportedly did.

You skiped a critical step.

That would be like you asking directions to the hospitle and I tell you go to the next light make a right then across the rail road tracks make a left then another right at the second stop sign..

If you do all of that except the last right at the second stop sign, will you arrive at the hospitile? no of course not

So why then do you think God is going to pick up your slack if you do not humble yourself before Him and do what you have been commanded?

Ot Old testament
Nt New testament
H/S Holy Spirit