Anyone ever deconverted a family member?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2014, 11:59 PM
RE: Anyone ever deconverted a family member?
I kind of went through a stage where I wanted to try. Nowadays, I spend more effort and just trying to share critical thinking, sharing fun science shit and actively trying to be an example that I can be proud of.

The entire reason I eventually came to admit I was an atheist is because I actively started looking for the same things. Some people de-convert, some don't. But if people can look at things with an open mind and be smarter for it and learn to think for themselves... well... that all in itself is a good thing.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2014, 06:33 AM
Yup. My sister.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2014, 08:29 AM
I'm pretty sure my sister was an atheist before me. It was some of her experiences that got me thinking, too. I don't think she ever outright said it until I was pretty obviously done with religion though.

I've never converted anyone myself, I think my family members are pretty stuck in their ways Tongue but it seems like maybe my sister and I have given some confidence to some of our cousins to protest church-going. But really I'm just speculating Tongue
23-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Kind of. Not intentionally. My mam passed away in 2010, she was pretty much atheist. My father, brother and sister were loosely deist. As in, there must be 'something'. They were privvy to a lot of conversations between my mother and I leading up to her death. She used to tell me she was sick of people visiting her and making direct or indirect references to God or being in a better place, then her and I would take the piss out of them light heartedly. She had an excellent and dark sense of humour.

Anyway, all of the stuff my family heard us discussing may have had an effect because over the years they have gradually changed their stance.

My sister rang me some time in 2012, telling me that her and some mates were having a spiritualist night and PAYING some utter bell end to come and do 'readings' for them. She told me she wanted to know if mam was alright!? I felt like flipping out but didn't, I drew her attention to Derren Brown's show where he completely dismantles cold reading techniques and expressed my concerns about people who charge money to prey on the emotionally vulnerable. To her credit, she looked in to it. They went ahead with the night and she set herself about the guy, calling him out at every opportunity when she detected any of his cold questioning techniques or leading phrases. When he left she rang me firmly convinced it was all bullshit!

My dad reckons if there's a god he's a mentally ill psychopath and my brother who was less religious anyway is comfortable to describe himself as atheist now just because he's more aware of definitions.

My family and I tend not to impose upon each other actively regarding beliefs but we're very comfortable to tell each other what we think and why. I don't take credit for their views but I am certain that the conversations between my mother and I helped them solidify their own stance.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member